Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#210615 - 10/30/10 03:14 PM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: sotto]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Until the illusive THERMITE MATCHSTICK is invented, you might try the standard CADWELD charges. They are a plastic can with thermite and their own starter powder. They can be found on EBAY or your local welding supply store for ~$3.00/can - usually 10 or 50 tubes per box.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#210630 - 10/31/10 12:40 AM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: sotto]
sotto Offline
Addict

Ponder:

That is truly awesome info, and I'm gonna be searching for a welding supply store as soon as Monday rolls around.

#210644 - 10/31/10 04:17 AM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: sotto]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
ponder,i did a quick Google on Cadweld.i looks like they need an electric power supply.i'm i missing something here?if i had the room for the power gizmo i could carry a pizo light propane torch.

#210647 - 10/31/10 04:54 AM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: sotto]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Sotto,There are 2 supplyhouses in Culver City!

#210650 - 10/31/10 06:18 AM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: sotto]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Just in case anyone hasn't caught my drift, for those who follow and may misunderstand, let me make it perfectly clear:

I do Not recommend using Cadweld or any of the flammable/explosive materials mentioned to start fires. Fun to contemplate they are simply too bulky, heavy, and inefficient to routinely carry and potentially too hazardous to used in any situation short of a life threatening need to start a fire, and a complete lack of other alternatives.

If you had them on hand, and there were no other way, you might use them as a last resort. Otherwise everyone is better off limiting their use to trained personnel using them for their intended purpose.

Lighters, matches, ferro rods, the old battery and steel wool trick, sunlight and a lens, even road flares, are safer, and more practical.

#210653 - 10/31/10 12:09 PM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: CANOEDOGS]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
ponder,i did a quick Google on Cadweld.i looks like they need an electric power supply.i'm i missing something here?if i had the room for the power gizmo i could carry a pizo light propane torch.

Cadwelds have loose thermite when you take off the cap. After you poor it out, there is some flash powder stuck in the bottom. Used properly, this is then poured on top of the mold in the cadweld. It is relative dangerous to light hence the sparker is used.

To use the Cadweld to simply light a fire, I do not open the plastic can. I simply cut a slot in the BOTTOM of the can where the flash powder is stuck. I then slip in a strip of magnesium or cannon fuze to light it. This allows me to get my hand away from the flash powder and back up.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#210654 - 10/31/10 02:23 PM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: Art_in_FL]
sotto Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Just in case anyone hasn't caught my drift, for those who follow and may misunderstand, let me make it perfectly clear:

I do Not recommend using Cadweld or any of the flammable/explosive materials mentioned to start fires. Fun to contemplate they are simply too bulky, heavy, and inefficient to routinely carry and potentially too hazardous to used in any situation short of a life threatening need to start a fire, and a complete lack of other alternatives.

If you had them on hand, and there were no other way, you might use them as a last resort. Otherwise everyone is better off limiting their use to trained personnel using them for their intended purpose.

Lighters, matches, ferro rods, the old battery and steel wool trick, sunlight and a lens, even road flares, are safer, and more practical.

Art: Thank you for the clarification.

Richlacal and Ponder: Thank you for the info.

Both very valuable.

#210655 - 10/31/10 02:35 PM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: sotto]
sotto Offline
Addict

I would like to just add an update. Last night, I ran across a couple old boxes of SA matches in the back of a cupboard. I compared them with the "new and improved" Diamond SA matches I picked up when I started this thread. Indeed, there is significantly more of the white phosphor material on the new matches.

I scraped the white material off an equal number of the old and new matches, and using my expensive laboratory scales, carefully weighed both and compared all the samples. The white material on the new matches weighed significantly more (.05 significance level on a standard statistical t test) on the "new and improved" matches than the old and "unimproved" matches.

NOT! OK, I just eyeballed it with without my reading glasses on. But truly, those old matches wouldn't light for shift, while the ones with the more white phosphor will, as I've said, easily light on any roughish piece of paper (e.g. standard brown paper bag).

#210659 - 10/31/10 03:19 PM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: sotto]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i'm sure the match people were down sizing their product the same as the candy bar and cereal makers.
i hope the "new" matches with more on the tip was a result of feedback from people who really use kitchen matches on a everyday basis.

#210660 - 10/31/10 03:23 PM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: CANOEDOGS]
sotto Offline
Addict

[quote=CANOEDOGS]i'm sure the match people were down sizing their product the same as the candy bar and cereal makers.
i hope the "new" matches with more on the tip was a result of feedback from people who really use kitchen matches on a everyday basis. [/quote

Actually, I rather imagine that a new huge phosphor deposit was just discovered in some 3rd world country and Diamond is just "helping" them with their economy.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.