Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#210467 - 10/28/10 04:06 AM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: sotto]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I might understand the love for matches if ferro rods were difficult to use, but they're relatively easy. My skill with a ferro rod is almost as good as the skill in this cool video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuD8LrB8SGY&feature=player_embedded

#210471 - 10/28/10 05:55 AM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: hikermor]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
That is quite true, but how many fires will you have to light per trip, or per incident? Typically if you light a fire for dinner, cook on it, and keep it going for a bit for warmth, etc., by the next morning all you have to do is coax it to life again without using a match. I always tried to use one match for one fire.

This is true, but when I use matches I typically have to replenish what I use after a couple trips or whatever since I don't typically carry a big box of matches with me.

By comparison, I've had the same ferro-rod on my keychain for 10+ years now and even after starting probably hundreds of fires I haven't had to do anything to it or replenish anything; and it will still work just fine. Plus it's almost always on my person, so I don't have to worry about making sure I grabbed my match container, refilled it lately, whatever.

Along the same lines, a Bic is easier to use than matches and they can also last years before disposal. I keep a bic in each of my jackets and a few of them are going on 5 years old now. They don't get used often, but they do get used occasionally and I haven't had to do anything to them yet, except for remembering to take them out and put them back in when I wash each jacket. (With that said, I did put one through the wash accidentally and it came out just fine.)

All in all, I don't have a problem with matches, I just don't have a use for them since I feel better alternatives exist. I don't even keep any in my camping pack or my bug-out bag anymore.

#210481 - 10/28/10 01:18 PM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: sotto]
sotto Offline
Addict

When butane lighters start smelling like burning phosphorus I'll discard the matches completely. Until then, I still need my "fix" every now and again. If you really like that aspect of it, there's always the big compressed wood and wax/glue fire-starter jobbies with the big red gob of phosphorus on the end, or better yet, a ROAD FLARE.

#210486 - 10/28/10 03:56 PM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: sotto]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i also noticed the new matches and picked up a box.i cut the striker strip off and that and as many matches as will fit go into a small plastic bottle in the bottom of my pack never to be used unless all else fails..the all else being a lighter.

#210488 - 10/28/10 04:47 PM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: CANOEDOGS]
sotto Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

i also noticed the new matches and picked up a box.i cut the striker strip off and that and as many matches as will fit go into a small plastic bottle in the bottom of my pack never to be used unless all else fails..the all else being a lighter.

Excellent. My original idea in my initial post was to highlight the fact that these newer SA matches light very well indeed on rough paper, no striker strip needed at all. I just tried a regular business card and the match burst into flame perfectly, first time. In fact, I just tried the Diamond Strike Anywhere matchbox itself, and the match lites perfectly being struck just on the end of the cardboard inner box that slides out, and on the inside of the outer box. The match wouldn't strike on the colored outside of the box. So really, no actual striking strip on the box is absolutely necessary.

I do, however, remember one occasion long ago when I had one of those old-fashioned chrome-plated brass Marble "match-safes" with the roughened outside surface for striking. They were austensibly "water-proof" (not really), but the idea was to open the match-safe, take out a match, close the match-safe, and strike the match on the outside of the safe. It worked great with the "old-fashioned" strike-anywhere matches, not so good with the later ones. Anyway, one time I didn't close the case all the way and struck a match on the outside. A little teeny flaming piece of phosphor found its way back inside the match-safe which still had about 20 matches inside. WHOOOOOSSSSHHHHHH!! Instant rocket in my hand.

#210489 - 10/28/10 05:30 PM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: sotto]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Originally Posted By: sotto
.....better yet, a ROAD FLARE.

If it REALLY NEEDS to be lit, I use a plastic film cannister filled with Thermite. I light it with 6" of magnesium ribbon. Bury 5" in the thermite with 1" sticking out. It still takes a BIC to light the ribbon!

If you would rather just email an order OF PRE-MADE kits -
http://www.alphachemicals.com/thermite_fire_starters

Or if you want want enouth Thermite for a life time of getting lost -
http://www.alphachemicals.com/inc/sdetail/2683
The Magnesium ribbon is extra but ships free.

Edited by ponder (10/28/10 06:18 PM)
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#210494 - 10/28/10 07:55 PM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: ponder]
sotto Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: ponder
Originally Posted By: sotto
.....better yet, a ROAD FLARE.

If it REALLY NEEDS to be lit, I use a plastic film cannister filled with Thermite. I light it with 6" of magnesium ribbon. Bury 5" in the thermite with 1" sticking out. It still takes a BIC to light the ribbon!

If you would rather just email an order OF PRE-MADE kits -
http://www.alphachemicals.com/thermite_fire_starters

Or if you want want enouth Thermite for a life time of getting lost -
http://www.alphachemicals.com/inc/sdetail/2683
The Magnesium ribbon is extra but ships free.

Now that's what I'd call an inflammatory remark. ;-)

Ha, that website is so understated. I quote:

"Just place the thermite firestarter on your kindling, light the fuse, and step back." (emphasis mine)

And again:

"3 oz of casted thermite in a snap-top container that produces about 2 ounces of molten iron." (emphasis mine)

Love it.

#210496 - 10/28/10 08:50 PM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: sotto]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

In my experience the key factor in how well strike-anywhere matches work is how dry they, and the striking surface, are. Fresh and dry from the sealed box they work very easily and well. Leave a couple out on the counter while you take a shower and they are much less reliable. A few days exposed to southern humidity and they lose a lot of their edge. A few months, and I've had a hard time getting a light out of a full box of them.

Wax or shellac helps, a few people used to stuff little desiccant capsules into their match safe. I've seen a commercial match safe that was brass and had a bit of desiccant in the lid that could be dried in the oven.

If these matches have found a way around this, or are less sensitive to moisture, I may have to start including more matches in may gear.

#210500 - 10/28/10 09:32 PM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The consistent theme of this discussion is that many of us carry multiple means of lighting a fire. Hardly a problem,since there are many lightweight, relatively dependable devices. Matches are one of the more commonly selected options. They have some advantages, and also some drawbacks.

My history with matches has been good, but my first time ignition device, day in and day out, is a butane lighter. I enjoy reading about the parlor tricks like using a battery and steel wool.

Edited by hikermor (10/28/10 11:35 PM)

#210502 - 10/28/10 10:30 PM Re: Striking "Strike Anywhere" matches (again). [Re: sotto]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Screw matches- I gotta get me some of that Thermite! grin

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.