Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#210288 - 10/25/10 06:29 PM Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord [Re: BorkBorkBork]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
its helpful contributions like yours that remind me why I don't spend as much time on this forum as I did when I joined in 2005. thanks for your input.

#210289 - 10/25/10 06:48 PM Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord [Re: kevingg]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Kevin,

Please continue to contribute and participate in the forums. I appreciate your hints and admire your craftsmanship.

Pete

#210291 - 10/25/10 07:08 PM Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord [Re: paramedicpete]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Thanks brother!

#210398 - 10/27/10 02:21 PM Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord [Re: kevingg]
BorkBorkBork Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sweden
Sorry if you felt offended. English is not my first language and if you somehow misunderstood then we have a communication barrier but still it's your problem. Sometimes I think, americans are too sensitive and cannot handle criticism to well.

I only meant that there are other ways to do splicing, there is the quick fix, your way, which works well for the ornamental craft that you do. But for pulling and high tension stress there is the more correct method, true splicing.

Keep up the good work by all means.

(sorry if the message seems a bit garbled and not to the point, english is still NOT my first language)

Edited by BorkBorkBork (10/27/10 02:22 PM)

#210470 - 10/28/10 04:38 AM Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord [Re: kevingg]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: kevingg
its helpful contributions like yours that remind me why I don't spend as much time on this forum as I did when I joined in 2005. thanks for your input.

Why are you so offended? The word "splice" has a very distinct meaning in ropework. I myself read your thread title and immediately thought to myself "Impossible - paracord has a sheath - you can't splice a single cord". You could, in theory, remove the sheath and splice the inner strands, but with seven of those that would be some complex splice!

So I was expecting the same thing as others. A detailed post of a complex procedure. Please don't be offended because many here actually know what the word "splice" means.

#210472 - 10/28/10 09:30 AM Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord [Re: kevingg]
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
You have been tried and convicted in the court of Webster. Just know that any idea you have ever had or will ever have will now be suspect and picked apart sans mercy. :p

I think joining the two pieces by burning is useful for making bracelets etc. but if I was going to use the cord for anything with any kind of load I'd use a knot. I have been able to pull apart two pieces joined by burning.

Bona Na Croin

#210473 - 10/28/10 10:02 AM Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord [Re: paramedicpete]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Kevin,

Please continue to contribute and participate in the forums. I appreciate your hints and admire your craftsmanship.

Pete

+1....The fact that Kevin used the word 'splice' instead of 'join' should not cause an international wave of criticism of a useful and well-intentioned post. Anyone can sit in front of a computer in their underwear and criticise the wording of a creative post with an imbedded video. I say let the naysayers post photos and videos of their creative paracord work for comparison with Kevins.

#210479 - 10/28/10 01:16 PM Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord [Re: haertig]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
While spicing a rope generally means interweaving laid rope/line, it does have others meanings as well:

Here is a “rope splicer”:
Rope Splicer

Here are ways to splice braided rope (of which paracord is a type) :

https://www.machovec.com/rope/splicing/db_eye.htm

https://www.machovec.com/rope/splicing/db_end.htm

https://www.machovec.com/rope/splicing/db_back.htm

https://www.machovec.com/rope/splicing/db_core2core.htm

Here are some other spicing methods:

https://www.machovec.com/rope/splicing/splicing.htm

Pete

#210587 - 10/29/10 09:37 PM Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord [Re: kevingg]
OffTheGridReady Offline
Stranger

Loc: Texas
Make sure you do this in a well ventilated area. The fumes are not healthy to breathe in.

#210604 - 10/30/10 02:38 AM Re: Paracordist: splicing two pieces of paracord [Re: kevingg]
kevingg Offline
Addict

I'm not offended anymore, I've come to the realization that I should thank many of you for helping me understand what a splice is. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.