Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#210210 - 10/24/10 02:46 PM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: dweste
Where, in a city you know, would be relatively safe for someone on foot to sleep for the night?

Where, in a suburb you know, would it be relatively safe for someone on foot to sleep for the night?

What, if anything other than more money, would you add to your EDC to increase such safety?

These types of questions are always too broad in scope. Define the circumstance(s) possible scenario for each. For example:

Where, in a city you know, would be relatively safe for someone on foot to sleep for the night?

Why would you be on foot? Civil unrest, man made or natural disaster, terrorist attack, vehicle breaking down 20 miles away on the other side of the city, spouse kicked you out? Is this scenario in the middle of summer or winter? Have you considered the overall safety of the AO you may find yourself in?

All these varibles makes a huge difference in deciding where to sleep for the night and every person's situation will be unique.

John Lubbock

#210215 - 10/24/10 03:27 PM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country

Where, in a suburb you know, would it be relatively safe for someone on foot to sleep for the night?

What, if anything other than more money, would you add to your EDC to increase such safety?

Agree w/ Teslinhiker. I could be safe in my car - I've done it before. Or safe at the beach. Or in any of the larger city parks, with the right foliage. Or a homeless shelter. Heck, in some of the backyards of the wealthier. You just have to be creative.

#210219 - 10/24/10 04:55 PM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: Teslinhiker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
All these varibles makes a huge difference in deciding where to sleep for the night and every person's situation will be unique.

And it is how to adapt to each variable with which you have some experience or thought which I seek. If you can share, please do.

I appreciate your response but have no wish to limit this discussion to some narrow set of conditions. Instead I seek whatever it is that you have to add. If your experience is too broad and encyclopedic to post in a reasonably concise way, perhaps you could post about just a few situations. If you wish to frame a response by identifying the variables in a scenario first, then feel free.

My hope is to stimulate a broad set of responses that can offer ideas to ETS community members wherever and whenever they might find themselves. This could allow us a broad education and lots of different fuel for consideration and inspiration.

Thanks.

[Besides the narrow questions are too easy for this braintrust!]

#210226 - 10/24/10 08:24 PM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
an article in Tactical Knives by Jeff Randall tweaked my interest in this ETS forum...surviving the jungles of South America with only water, machete, poncho,and mosquito netting... my 72hr kit is built around a poncho, water filter bottle, and mosquito head net (w/boonie hat)....sitting on a 5gal bucket and leaning against a tree I don't make a readily identifiable silhouette..almost a ghillie suit for a city park, the disruptive pattern of the camo on the poncho is ideal if you can find minimal undergrowth and effective use of shadows..and is easily rolled or stowed in a pouch for discrete transport... conversely as an old retired guy, I could probably reverse my sleep pattern...find a nice sunny spot in the park or beach area... set up a folding camp chair and sleep in the cool morning or late afternoon...

#210229 - 10/24/10 09:11 PM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

And it is how to adapt to each variable with which you have some experience or thought which I seek. If you can share, please do.

My hope is to stimulate a broad set of responses that can offer ideas to ETS community members wherever and whenever they might find themselves. This could allow us a broad education and lots of different fuel for consideration and inspiration.

Thanks.

I'll pass on this one. There have been plenty of very good discussions here on this same subject that many have contributed great suggestions for in the recent past.

John Lubbock

#210238 - 10/25/10 12:48 AM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
LED Offline
Veteran

FWIW, many of the homeless individuals I see sleep during the day and are awake at night. During the day they can sleep/nap in public places in relative safety, while at night its a very different environment. They also tend to hang out in small groups, especially at night, that way one member of the group is always awake. I also routinely see creatively concealed hideouts in doorways and landscaping areas of very active office buildings. Addictions and mental issues aside, the chronicly homeless are very adept at surviving in the city.

#210239 - 10/25/10 01:33 AM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The hardest part is body language. I say that as someone who has been told point blank that I have scary body language, even when I'm laughing.

Most of us, to use Star Trek terminology *chuckles*, are probably on Yellow Alert. Heads up, eyes moving. We have a should bag or a small pack with us to clear our hands most of the time, or we carry light enough to keep it all in our pockets. We move briskly, with a purpose, even when we are "dawdling", but lightly- our feet don't go clump-clump-clump.

At least, that's what I've gotten from the preppers I know face to face. We don't move like we were military (unless we were), but we don't move like most people. We don't have our heads down, we don't shuffle or slump or hunch our shoulders.

And the "tactical" packs- I agree, to a degree. Black backpacks and laptop cases are pretty common. Don't hang a lot of stuff of it, and you should be good so long as it isn't OD or camo. I actually spot grey, kahki and darker, non camo greens faster than I do a black bag, but I could be use to looking for the "grey man".

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#210247 - 10/25/10 02:34 AM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Here in Los Angeles,I've found if You Stink,Nobody is Gonna' mess with you,Including the Police,After getting a Whiff from afar downwind,I have learned to give Wide Berth,& As such,There is Nothing Stealthy about Stench! When you Stink,You Stand out,Doesn't matter what you are wearing!I Nominated the color Gray,As It Blends in the best amongst Crowds of people in Metropolitan Areas of Los Angeles.If I wanted to be Completely Un-noticable,I'd Camp on the side of the Extensive Freeway system we have here,same goes for the South East,Anywhere along a Turnpike or Toll Road,I've caught some amazing numbers of Bream & Bass alongside the Turnpike in South Florida,Plenty of other critters to eat as well,should the need arise.I've also concluded,Where I live in LA,there won't be any Bugging Out,for Catastrophic Anything!

#210263 - 10/25/10 07:38 AM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: Richlacal]
LED Offline
Veteran

Very true Rich, but to develop a nauseating stink that bad is a health hazard, seriously. Course you could always carry a loaded dog poop bag around. Thats like kryptonite. Anyone comes near you just start swingin it around. sick

#210279 - 10/25/10 04:30 PM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: LED]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
LED-I wasn't advocating to develop a Stench,lol!You know as well as me,Most if not All of the folks,camped out in front of doorways,under stairs,etc.,etc.,Usually have a "Certain"Stench,All their own!I have Nothing against Anyone for being Homeless,I do However advocate-Personal Hygeine!This thread is about Urban Stealth,I pointed out the fact, that Stench is Not Stealthy,by any means!Anywhere in Venice,Santa Monica,West Los Angeles,Marina Del Rey-There are literally 1000's to choose from,& It's an easy guess you developed your post,as per.Downtown Los Angeles is a Whole,Different Ball Game!Everything we are discussing here is quite Valid,as it is Pro/Con,& I'm All for it!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.