The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#210280 - 10/25/10 04:34 PM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
FYI, the term "gray man" is used to mean sharks, particularly great white sharks, by kayakers and surfers in the California area. I believe the term may also be used in come communities to generally refer to whatever or whoever poses the biggest threat, for example, IRS.

#210293 - 10/25/10 07:22 PM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: NightHiker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

We have a well-respected ETS member whose screen name is
Am Fear Liath Mor. Put his name into a search engine to learn another take on the grey man.

#210304 - 10/25/10 10:11 PM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
[quote=dwesteused in come communities to generally refer to whatever or whoever poses the biggest threat [/quote]

I also hadn't heard the term used this way before, but it makes sense to me- it's why the guys going grey stick out to me. They try to blend in, but something is off about them. It's like looking for unmarked police cars- look for the same basic model they use for patrol or a low-mid cost sedan or light SUV in a neutral color, with extra antennas and junk on the dashboard.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#210309 - 10/25/10 10:42 PM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: ironraven]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: ironraven

I also hadn't heard the term used this way before, but it makes sense to me- it's why the guys going grey stick out to me. They try to blend in, but something is off about them.

Thats interesting, can you elaborate on what you think is "off" about them.

In my AO, the everyday person wearing everyday clothes and carrying non-camo/military style gear (backpacks) blend in the best.

If I see a person walking down the street wearing blue jeans or khakis and carrying a regular backpack I usually don't give them more then a passing look.

John Lubbock

#210311 - 10/25/10 10:51 PM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hoot Mon,Am Ferly Mor!In The Highlands of Scotland I beleive It refers to their Yeti/Boggy Creek Big Foot! I've heard stories,When I was a young Lad,About him & Nessie,them swimming,aside of each other,suracing in Loch Ness,then Surfacing in Loch Lomond,the next day!Good stuff for kid's when camping near dark bodies of water! I think the Surfers refer to The Gray Dude!:)

#210321 - 10/26/10 02:39 AM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: Teslinhiker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Like I said, we don't move like most people. It's a vibe, I can describe it anecdotaly, but I can't really put it into a clear definition.

Maybe some of the law enforcement members might be able to describe it better than I have, but it has to do with head up, eyes open, always moving, always scanning body language.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#210326 - 10/26/10 05:36 AM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Mammalian behaviors are pretty well known; some trigger fight-or-flight responses and some do not. All mammals can read these signs from a long way off.

A loose, moderate pace, feet hitting the ground softly, head moving slowly about, looking with no particular focus, shoulders relaxed and down, and, if talking, a quiet, unhurried, soft-toned voice, signal "I am not fleeing or hunting, or a threat to you."

A tighter, quicker pace, feet hitting the ground hard, head on a constant quicker swivel, looking with laser-like intense focus, shoulders tensed and up, and, if talking, an intense. clipped, harsh-toned voice, signal "I am fleeing or hunting, and may be a threat if you catch my attention."

Of course, being the devious beings we are, knowing these things we can fake one or the other!

The science of body language is about these "vibes."

Edited by dweste (10/26/10 05:37 AM)

#210328 - 10/26/10 09:44 AM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

More "vibes" stuff:

Because these are common mammal behaviors, we can "read" other species' behavior to some extent even without knowing much about them otherwise. The angry bear, moose, or squirrel is usually pretty obvious to even a first-time human observer.

The two contrasting behavior sets above are, of course, only two of many clusters of behaviors. Most of us could describe victim-come-prey-on-me and puzzled-intrigued-what-the-heck-is-this behaviors, for example.

There are other typical behavior clues for each set, such as how the individual treats any object tht catches their attention. Because we do the same, we pretty much know what it means about an individual's attitude at the moment when they play with a small stick for a while, or stomp-break-destroy it, or just mildly kick it once in passing without further attention, for example.

More on point for this thread, we can identify in others and mimic to others various human behaviors: angery-don't-mess-with-me, crazy-let's-talk-about-weird-stuff-forever, busy-no-time-for-you, bored-lazy-darn-more-work, and so on. Think: acting!

So we have a Swiss army knife set of behaviors we can use to project different messages to help us fit into and essentially disappear from notice in various urban scenarios, or to stand out as someone to avoid rather than victimize. Pretty hard to do while sleeping though!

Edited by dweste (10/26/10 09:47 AM)

#210329 - 10/26/10 10:15 AM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
John Astin, the actor who played "Gomez" in "The Addams Family" TV show during the 1960's once described how, as a young starving actor he survived living in one of New York city's worst crime ridden neighborhoods without ever getting bothered.

He said that when he was on the street, he would try (and apparently managed) to look crazier than anyone else on the street. grin

The right body language will protect you.

#210330 - 10/26/10 10:52 AM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Years ago I had to drive around through several states for a job. I had a small truck (Chevy S10) with a cap on the back and all my tools and gear there. I kept a few empty boxes of phone and network cable with one side cut out and would slip them over top of my suitcase or any other personal gear then put the boxes that had cable in them on top.
I hang on to old clothes, use those for work around the house, be it painting or changing oil or whatever and if we ever did bug in for an extended time I'd wear those to look rough and dirty and blend in.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 468 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.