Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#204673 - 07/13/10 07:39 PM Re: The pond digging has started.... [Re: MoBOB]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
There's no issue with where the pond is located. Filling of the pond will not be from natural water / stream / creek / etc but from a well. Due to an old access road, and my neighbors drainage pipe draining between our mountains this part of my property gets a little more water during the wet months but no flowing natural creek, just drain water that I called a creek. It actually doesn't flow past where I took the picture, that area gets really muddy from the water sitting there 1 day at about 1" after a good rain/snow, and then absorbs into the water.

There is proof from years ago that someone did flood this area, the water I believe came from the 1800's era water way also on my property.

Edited by Todd W (07/13/10 07:42 PM)

#204830 - 07/17/10 04:00 AM Re: The pond digging has started.... [Re: Todd W]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
Doesn't have anything to do with digging, but if you buy a tractor with a loader, get a couple of chain hooks and have them welded on each side of the top of the bucket. They're really useful, gives an easy way to pick up all sorts of bigger things with the bucket: big dead trees, corrugated pipe, etc...

If you're buying it new, most dealers have a shop where they do "make ready" of the tractors. Just tell your salesman what you want to do. Buy the hooks and take them in, it'll just be part of the make ready.

#204835 - 07/17/10 06:16 AM Re: The pond digging has started.... [Re: lukus]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: lukus
Doesn't have anything to do with digging, but if you buy a tractor with a loader, get a couple of chain hooks and have them welded on each side of the top of the bucket. They're really useful, gives an easy way to pick up all sorts of bigger things with the bucket: big dead trees, corrugated pipe, etc...

If you're buying it new, most dealers have a shop where they do "make ready" of the tractors. Just tell your salesman what you want to do. Buy the hooks and take them in, it'll just be part of the make ready.

Cool good to know.

My dad would appreciate that, he was the one stringing the chain around the bucket.. crazy

#204867 - 07/18/10 01:11 AM Re: The pond digging has started.... [Re: Todd W]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Todd, if you are thinking about buying a tractor you might want to peruse http://www.tractorbynet.com/ There is more information on tractors than you ever wanted to know including modifications that make your tractor work better. Spent a lot of time lurking over there before i bought my kubota. Remember to post a few pictures of your tractor when you get one.

#204873 - 07/18/10 04:52 AM Re: The pond digging has started.... [Re: RayW]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: RayW
Todd, if you are thinking about buying a tractor you might want to peruse http://www.tractorbynet.com/ There is more information on tractors than you ever wanted to know including modifications that make your tractor work better. Spent a lot of time lurking over there before i bought my kubota. Remember to post a few pictures of your tractor when you get one.

Thanks for the resource.

Checking it out now grin

What model & options did you go for?
Primary usage?

Edited by Todd W (07/18/10 04:53 AM)

#204877 - 07/18/10 02:37 PM Re: The pond digging has started.... [Re: lukus]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: lukus
get a couple of chain hooks and have them welded on each side of the top of the bucket

... and put one in the center too. You need to be real careful not to lift a single heavy load from one side or the other of the bucket - otherwise you'll risk bending the loader arm /crossbar joints.

#204886 - 07/18/10 10:42 PM Re: The pond digging has started.... [Re: KenK]
RayW Offline
Addict

Went for the B7510, which is a compact utility tractor with a 21HP diesel. Primary use is cutting grass. Have the Hydrostatic transmission, 60" mid-mounted mower, 48" front end loader, and a 48" box blade. Have also welded up a set of slip on bucket teeth that stick out about 18", helps to pick up things that are longer than four feet.

Here are a couple of photos of the last hole i dug,

If you are going to get a FEL i would recommend that you go for the hydrostatic transmission or the shuttle shift. That way you don't have to push in the clutch and shift to change directions.

One more thing, if you are going for a larger tractor you might want to consider getting the FEL that uses the skid steer quick attachment system. That way most skid steer attachments will fit on the front of your tractor.

#204926 - 07/20/10 04:10 AM Re: The pond digging has started.... [Re: RayW]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Thanks Ray!

Cool pics, what was that project for?

#204951 - 07/20/10 10:27 PM Re: The pond digging has started.... [Re: Todd W]
RayW Offline
Addict

Neighbor wants a water garden, it's just a big ditch. Problem right now is the water table is so high that it will most likely be some months before it drys out enough to finish the hole.

#204970 - 07/21/10 06:22 AM Re: The pond digging has started.... [Re: RayW]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

High water table?
We are not familiar with that concept here in California frown

Went to Kubota today, and checked out the L45 and M59.
I am trying to figure out if the M59 will be too wide for my usage in the woods (in and around the trees and on my trails/paths).

Width @ Rear tires: 75" wide, my rental was 61.3"

The M59 also has an 84" bucket, so I need to measure that width too. The rental bucket was 72", and I never once thought wow it's too wide to fit, so the width of the tires being 75" will be no issue since my last bucket was nearly the same. But going from 75" to 84" may be pretty noticeable.(6" on each side approx, not really a LOT, but in the woods it can be a huge difference.)

I really think the L45 would do all I need but the M59 is 5k$ more, and 5k for 15hp seems like a very cheap price + bigger tires, bigger backhoe, and more options with the hydraulic system.

Too bad the L48 isn't made anymore, that one sounds like it would have been the perfect cross.

All the reviews of the M59 have been awesome, other than some early models with minor issues that were warrantied I have yet to find any serious complaints about the unit. The only real complaint is that here in CA you need a commercial license to haul something/trailer >9,999lbs and this tractor comes in around 8500 with BackHoe, so a trailer to haul that would be over 1,500. Since I don't plan to move it around all the time, and know people with such a license I don't think this will be an issue for me. The bigger issue for me would be my trailer, that holds my Jeep is only 16', and my other 20'+ trailer still needs rebuilt...

Oh, the options...

I can see that owning a tractor will not only do work faster and make life easier but also create NEW WORK.

smile

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 405 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.