Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#210156 - 10/23/10 12:00 PM Urban stealth guidelines?
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
How would you go about hiding in plain sight in an urban environment that you know?

How would you camoflague yourself to move through an urban environment that you know without being recognized or noticed?

What guidelines would you follow to find overnight safety and concealment in an urban environment?

Would any of this be reflected in your EDC?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Edited by dweste (10/23/10 12:02 PM)

#210158 - 10/23/10 12:25 PM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Know the area and choose clothing that is the "same" as the majority of people on the street. Most city dwellers and workers don't really pay attention to the "average Joe" on the street. But someone who stands out will attract attention.

So, if you are in a business district and most everyone is in suits, you need a suit and briefcase. If in an area with lots of construction/factory workers, dress like they do.

The closest to a "universally ignored" outfit I can think of would be something like or identical to one worn by the drivers of the major delivery services. They go everywhere and no one pays attention.

Military "urban" camo will make your stand out: everyone is paranoid and will spot you in a second, and remember you.

#210162 - 10/23/10 01:12 PM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: bws48]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: bws48

The closest to a "universally ignored" outfit I can think of would be something like or identical to one worn by the drivers of the major delivery services. They go everywhere and no one pays attention.

Yep. With a name patch sewn on a Dickie's work shirt, a clipboard in your hand, and maybe a few tools in a belt pouch, you can go almost anywhere on the planet and not be questioned.

#210163 - 10/23/10 01:17 PM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: dweste

What guidelines would you follow to find overnight safety and concealment in an urban environment?

Would any of this be reflected in your EDC?

Yes. I avoid anything that looks "tacti-cool." My bugout clothes and pack are plain, in low observable colors like khaki that blend somewhat in the bush, but don't look too out of place on a city bus, either.

#210182 - 10/23/10 09:32 PM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Yeah, if you dress like others in an urban environment, a city like New York or San Francisco can be the loneliest place in the world. Nobody will even see you!

#210188 - 10/23/10 10:51 PM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: Jeff_M]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Jeff_M
Yep. With a name patch sewn on a Dickie's work shirt, a clipboard in your hand, and maybe a few tools in a belt pouch, you can go almost anywhere on the planet and not be questioned.

Every major building, and most organizations, have a number of 'faceless' functionaries that handle infrastructure tasks. Janitors, building superintendents, maintenance personnel. These people are not expected to interact with the public. Blank looks and mumbled answers are the expected response if confronted. When in doubt adopt a vague, disinterested, blank look. Remember that the highlight of your days are quitting time and payday. Which works out because you are often not going to have enough information to give a detailed response.

A clipboard and stack of official looking forms, particularly vague 'work orders', and a picture ID from a company with a completely opaque name, like Universal Logistics and Management, helps sell it. Presenting yourself as an outside contractor offers an excuse for a lack of local knowledge.

#210189 - 10/23/10 10:57 PM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Go to the local thrift store, grab a dingy set of clothes, grow out the beard a little, let the hair get a bit shaggy. No one cares/notices the homeless as a general rule (OK, yeah, there are charities, but I wonder if their members notice them when not at work).

Overnight safety depends on the city. Philly in mid winter is a lot different than Miami in mid summer. Weather concerns are paramount, going where you won't be hassled by the cops while being safe from other drifters would be important.

#210197 - 10/24/10 02:37 AM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
The Color Gray,Like Stone or Comrade in Moscow Gray,I think is going to be the Stealthiest color for an Urban Environment,Sweatshirt/Sweatpants/Black or White Tennys & Your good to go,As long as it's Not a Freezing/Snowy Winter Laden area!

#210203 - 10/24/10 06:30 AM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Where, in a city you know, would be relatively safe for someone on foot to sleep for the night?

Where, in a suburb you know, would it be relatively safe for someone on foot to sleep for the night?

What, if anything other than more money, would you add to your EDC to increase such safety?

#210204 - 10/24/10 07:56 AM Re: Urban stealth guidelines? [Re: dweste]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
>Where, in a city you know, would be relatively safe for someone on >foot to sleep for the night?
>Where, in a suburb you know, would it be relatively safe for >someone on foot to sleep for the night?
>What, if anything other than more money, would you add to your EDC >to increase such safety?

I've slept safely in parks, by simply hiding in the bushes. A tent adds greatly to my safety, since no one knows if there is me, or two giants in there. Tying the door shut is an idea too.

qjs

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.