The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#209911 - 10/19/10 09:16 AM Surviving the Economic Collapse by FerFal - review
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
I just finished reading Fernando (FerFal) Aguirre book: The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse ( amazon link) and wanted to share with you my mini-review of this excellent book.

Great book on surviving any kind of economic downturn that breeds poverty, crime, unemployment and money devaluation.
Even if you are not really "into" survivalism you should read this book to be prepared for whatever life throws your way like: unemployment, death or disability of a spouse, or any number of natural disasters, that can seriously change your economic and social situation.

This book is very "sane" in a sense it does not ask you to go live off the land, build bunkers, or stand guard to save your supplies from blood-thirsty zombies of doom. Instead the book focuses on author's real-life experiences during the Argentine financial meltdown. He covers topics on how to deal with unemployment, hyperinflation, crime and social unrest (among other topics).

Fernando's language is a bit off (English is his 2nd language), but you forget about it after the first few pages because the content is excellent.

Author is not without humor. On numerous occasions he pokes fun at those who think guns will make them more well-endowed, or "little house on a prairie survivalists" who think they can protect themselves from robbery during serious civil unrest, or the martial arts "masters" who do not spar because they think their style is "too deadly".

Fernando advocates a no-nonsense approach to keeping yourself and your loved once safe and sane during times of financial and societal instability. He emphasizes stockpiling food, water, first aid, gold, etc., having a "recession proof" profession, and being a good neighbor, while at the same time watching your back.

Read this book - you will not regret it!

#209912 - 10/19/10 09:50 AM Re: Surviving the Economic Collapse by FerFal - review [Re: redflare]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Economic preparations are vital. Thank you for posting this book review, I'll check it out.........no 'library' pun intended :-)

#209914 - 10/19/10 12:24 PM Re: Surviving the Economic Collapse by FerFal - review [Re: redflare]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I read this book several months ago and liked it enough to force it one some friends. Hopefully things won't get as bad here as they did in Argentina, but if they do then following the advice found in this book will be of great assistance. The main premise of the book is you'll have to be tough, tougher than you ever thought you could be.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#209915 - 10/19/10 12:53 PM Re: Surviving the Economic Collapse by FerFal - review [Re: Blast]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
I've been aquainted with FerFal for many years through the Internet and have had the pleasure of corresponding with him regarding various topics of his writings which culminated in this book.
He is a very intelligent and humble guy, not a "rambo-wannabe" so I feel you'd be well served with the observations shared. While the events in Argentina may not unfold precisely the same way, people are the same all over and similar situations could very well occur.

#209960 - 10/19/10 11:43 PM Re: Surviving the Economic Collapse by FerFal - review [Re: redflare]
gulliamo Offline

Loc: Denver, CO, USA
What does he consider a "recession proof profession"?

Does he list "recession proof possessions" as well? Besides gold?

#209982 - 10/20/10 01:34 PM Re: Surviving the Economic Collapse by FerFal - review [Re: gulliamo]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
Think essential services that will still be needed- electrician, plumber, doctor, nurse, shoe repair, etc.
In austere times folks need to make whatever they have last longer so any repair/refurbishment type businesses will still earn their daily bread.
Lead technical lightbulb replacement supervisor or executive manager of office supplies tend to be the types of positions less in demand...

#209984 - 10/20/10 02:24 PM Re: Surviving the Economic Collapse by FerFal - review [Re: Tarzan]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Tarzan
Think essential services that will still be needed- electrician, plumber, doctor, nurse, shoe repair, etc.
In austere times folks need to make whatever they have last longer so any repair/refurbishment type businesses will still earn their daily bread.
Lead technical lightbulb replacement supervisor or executive manager of office supplies tend to be the types of positions less in demand...

It was my understanding that FerFal says repairmen and crafters actually DON'T do very well and reccomends against going that route. It is far better to be the person who supplies the parts and materials to many repairmen/craftsmen than to be the repairman. Having been "executive manager of office supplies" means you have contacts with wholesale suppliers which is a good thing. Another good position is to be the one who owns the property where people come to sell/trade goods and services.

FerFal's own words on the subject.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#209993 - 10/20/10 04:59 PM Re: Surviving the Economic Collapse by FerFal - review [Re: Blast]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I definitely want to get a copy of this book.

Thanks for the reviews and information, everyone!

#209999 - 10/20/10 06:06 PM Re: Surviving the Economic Collapse by FerFal - review [Re: Blast]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Repairmen/Craftsman will Always be in demand wherever there are, Actual Homes/Apts/Bldgs Occupied by People!Now,In the Favella's or Slums,That would be the area FerFal's advice would Pertain as,The folk's occupying those area's Have/Will do for themselves,& are Normally left to their own devices!I highly doubt anyone from an Office/Management environment,Had Anything to do with, The Repair of The Infrastructure,As there was no $$$ to purchase supplies,i.e...All the 1000's of Missing Manhole covers,1000's of miles of stolen Powerlines & Telephone lines,&Plumbing lines Sold for Scrap Metal,Power Plants/The Broken pumps for Freshwater/Blackwater distribution,Maintenance of Hospitals,A/C-Refridgeration,Grave diggers,Without Repairmen/Craftsman,Planes don't fly,Mechanical Movement Ceases up!You are Sh....Outa' Luck!Life still did go on in Argentina,As It is Going on Now,Because there ARE Repairmen/Craftsmen!

#210004 - 10/20/10 06:42 PM Re: Surviving the Economic Collapse by FerFal - review [Re: redflare]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I guess I`m the only one who couldn't get past some of his ignorance and seemingly 'know it all' attitude that came across in the book. I researched a few things early on in the book and found out they were false (or stretched truth), which is one thing but when written in his style it really put me off. The way he put forth his thoughts really irked me the wrong way too, and knowing numerous things were false or stretched I couldn't continue reading.

I did not finish the book.

I have nothing against the other but the style was not for me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 319 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.