Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#209780 - 10/17/10 07:47 PM How to find the truth?
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Should we teach our kids how to find the truth?

If so, what should we teach them?

Thoughts on a rainy day.

I vote for Occam's Razor and the scientific method.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

#209784 - 10/17/10 08:02 PM Re: How to find the truth? [Re: dweste]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I vote for Occam's Razor and the scientific method.

That method could quite easily get you being called a conspiracy theorist. wink

The reality is that most folks have very little understanding of the physical laws that the Universe 'sometimes' operates under (sometimes as in to keep the quantum physicists happy whistle )

Then there is what the Government wants you to conveniently believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MOnehCOUw

Then there is 'faith' which is sold quite heavily throughout the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfqht0LEOWQ

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/17/10 08:03 PM)

#209785 - 10/17/10 08:24 PM Re: How to find the truth? [Re: dweste]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
More importantly, teach them to question everything and everybody, to rely on facts and their own ability to think and analyze and not simply rely on what someone tells them. The ability to think and analyze for themselves is something that I hope is being taught to them.

Doing this may not lead you to the truth, but it will get you closer than just going along with the crowd and accepting everything you are told.

Grandpa used to tell us: "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what your read!"

When I was young, I thought he was a cynic.

Now, many years later, I think he was too trusting. wink

#209786 - 10/17/10 08:47 PM Re: How to find the truth? [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I would teach them to think beyond the usual knee-jerk reaction.

Get them thinking of what the likely results would be of each possible course of action, the longer-term results, not just the immediate results.

Sue

#209788 - 10/17/10 09:09 PM Re: How to find the truth? [Re: dweste]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I would teach them to not rely on Wikipedia.

#209789 - 10/17/10 09:28 PM Re: How to find the truth? [Re: Susan]
NAro Offline
Addict

Of course I think we should teach our children critical thinking. "Truth" is elusive! The scientific method doesn't proport to discern "truth" really, it sets hypotheses and methods to test those hypotheses. The results are expressed in probabilistic terms, not absolutes.

To me that's as close as the pursuit of truth gets. Different hypotheses are (by convention) tested to different criteria. For instance, expert testimony in courts is typically expressed as "to a reasonable certainty" which means "more likely than not" (51%). The published scientific research with which I am familiar is typically expressed to a probability level of 95-99%. That means that 95 out of 100 times those results were not "attributed to chance." I have also (haven't we all) experienced certain groups (often religious) which represent certain positions as absolute and infallible truths.

So, I think "truth" is an ever-moving target.

#209791 - 10/17/10 10:07 PM Re: How to find the truth? [Re: dweste]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
With respect for everyones opinions, I have to weigh in on this.

Of course 'truth' is a shifting target when attached to nothing, defined by nothing, and subject to nothing other than the whims of the day. How would you know if you found it? What is 'it' anyway; a collection of current opinions? Of what value is 'truth' like that when life's crisis strike?

For me and many like me, your question has already been answered and the answer has withstood fire, sword, and the test of time:

"Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His rightousness..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH8bV7rUVaU&feature=related

Flaws and all and regardless of the tradition chosen, these truths provide the bedrock for everything else. There is no substitute in what is offered by secular humanists.

#209792 - 10/17/10 10:18 PM Re: How to find the truth? [Re: dweste]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Truth is relative.

Teach your children how to reason; how to take a complex problem and break it down into solvable parts; to never take anything for granted as being "true"; and to never stop learning.

Many things I thought were true, weren't. Some things I thought impossible, aren't. Life is learning.

#209793 - 10/17/10 10:35 PM Re: How to find the truth? [Re: JBMat]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
The Truth is"Life is Everything we know,But it isn't Alway's Fair"!

#209794 - 10/17/10 10:42 PM Re: How to find the truth? [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Truths are always limited and provisional. They are trapped in time, place, and world-view. They can be misapplied if the context is not understood.

Many religious texts get misused when people read a verse that says to go forth and do XYZ if you fail to look into the historical context and understand that XYZ is not a universally valid response but was, rather, applicable only to that specific time, place, situation, often only the personalities involved.

Good advice, received truth, can be very specific. A friend of mine has a snippet he picked up: 'Have a plan to kill everyone you meet'. It is fine advice if your locked up on Devil's Island with mass murderers where life is a 24/7 death match. He has largely outgrown it as the consequences of that mindset, alienation and isolation, manifested itself.

It also has to be noted that there are no entirely reliable outlets for truth. People often tell lies when they think they are telling the truth. People want, often need, to believe. They can also expose truths when they lie. A used car salesman that jokes that he is going to take advantage of you is telling you something. Answers suggest questions. Anyone who tells you: You can trust me', is bringing their own honesty into question. A lot of conspiracy theories fail, in part, because they assume a source, or set of sources, always lie. Funny thing is that over MSM is right far more than not. What gets lost is context.

The one thing that identifies greater from less truths is that greater truths form a coherent and functional world-view that allows you to predict, and deal with, the future in practical ways. A world-view that more closely matches the preponderance of the credible evidence, provides testable conclusions, and promotes both function and further useful insights.

The biggest error I see in gathering truth/s have to do with the failure of people to discriminate between what is demonstrably true, often painfully true about themselves and their situation, and what feels right and sits comfortable with their existing world-view.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.