The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#209779 - 10/17/10 07:41 PM Re: Fire Making Tools [Re: ireckon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I don't have confidence in matches of any kind.

The matches in this video work OK. NSN - 9920 99 737 1041 (supplied in UK 24hr Ration Packs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PF8_U7FuVk

For wet conditions you can cut a 1 1/5 inch length of butyl inner tube and strike the match with the match inside the inner tube section to provide a wind and water proof cover. The butyl inner tube will soon catch fire and won't really be put out by the rain.
Use the flaming inner butyl inner tube to set alight the wood feather sticks under a prepared Tarp.

I've also had quite good success with a DX Oubo Dover windproof lighter (not waterproof though).

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16699

And also with the Brunton Firestorm lighter.

#209787 - 10/17/10 08:47 PM Re: Fire Making Tools [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
We all seem to agree on redundancy for fire starting. The question is which methods will most likely yield a going flame? My routine lighter is a butane, backed up with matches, and a ferro rod.

I have been in some situations where getting a fire lit was critical, a few of which might even have been life or death situations. Matches have always come through. Given that currently manufactured matches are of poorer quality than in the past, I stock up on REI Stormproofs. Matches carried in other than a waterproof container don't count.

The real change over the years is that I have carried some sort of liquid or gas stove, and have relied less and less on campfires. In lousy conditions, having really good, reliable tinder or fire starter (PJ cotton balls, Wetfire, or the aforementioned stove) really solves the problem. For stoves, I prefer isobutane canisters (Pocket Rocket) or a good old Trangia alcohol stove. The Trangia can carry its own fuel supply and will burn hand cleanser (Purell) or yellow Heet, among other fuels.

#209790 - 10/17/10 09:33 PM Re: Fire Making Tools [Re: ChicagoCraig]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
I GUESS I MUST BE MISSING SOMETHING.

I lean towards the most robust, reliable, redundant, expensive and brand name when I buy toys. If it ain't high tech and the best, I don't want it.

Relative to fire starters, they are part of my life. In my business I light, burn, melt and ignite all day long.

In the remote Idaho wilderness, I light, burn, melt and ignite to maintain and survive.

I.M.H.O - I have researched and chosen the absolute most robust, reliable, redundant and expensive FIRE STARTER mechanism that is available.

I bought a case of butain lighters for $.52 each. The active unit is in my right front pocket. Backup is in my left front pocket. About twice a year the active unit is empty. I throw it away and replace it with the other. The new one goes in my left pocket.

I GUESS I MUST BE MISSING SOMETHING!

Edited by ponder (10/17/10 09:50 PM)
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#209795 - 10/18/10 12:41 AM Re: Fire Making Tools [Re: ChicagoCraig]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
An example of my regular extreme condition is snowboarding off piste near the top of Whistler during January. I've read that a butane lighter is bad at high altitudes. I'll get one just to test it out, but I won't make it part of my big three...yet.

#209796 - 10/18/10 01:03 AM Re: Fire Making Tools [Re: ireckon]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: ireckon
An example of my regular extreme condition is snowboarding off piste near the top of Whistler during January. I've read that a butane lighter is bad at high altitudes. I'll get one just to test it out, but I won't make it part of my big three...yet.

Whistler is 7100 feet in elevation. I know from personal experience that BIC type lighters work at that height. The highest elevation I ever used a BIC was at 7800 feet.

At that elevation, the BIC lighter and then my pocket rocket stove worked good enough to cook dinner for 4 people.

In winter, when the temperature drops below about -10C (14F) , any butane lighter or fuel cannister will work as long as it kept warm in in an inside coat pocket before using. The stove's fuel cannister benefits from a small fleece cover that keeps it somewhat resistant to the cold until the food is cooked.

John Lubbock

#209800 - 10/18/10 03:02 AM Re: Fire Making Tools [Re: frediver]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Originally Posted By: frediver
You could repack the wick in the striker of your "wet" match, you should find a metal tab that is removable to hold the new material. Twist up your own cotton yarn or try using cotton gauze or maybe even cotton butcher string.
Try a few different materials, it could be a survival need .

BTW
where did you get all the different fire pistons and how well do they actually work? I would not consider one as an actual survival
device but I'm still interested in the collector aspect.

Thanks

I did not know the wick could be replaced. Thanks, I will look into that.

The nylon and plexiglass piston were found on eBay. The pen piston I purchased directly from the manufacture. I had the best results with the nylon one which was the cheapest.

I do not carry a piston on wilderness trips.

#209803 - 10/18/10 03:45 AM Re: Fire Making Tools [Re: ChicagoCraig]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Chicago, please describe how you made the handle on that ferro rod you said you "normally carry". It looks simple, but I've never seen it before.

#209831 - 10/18/10 12:04 PM Re: Fire Making Tools [Re: ChicagoCraig]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Craig, I was curious about your pen piston, I had read they were hard to get an ember and difficult to clean. I was wondering what your. opinion on the pen piston and the viability of it. Oh. And I like your selection of knives, yard knives are very good. Thanks.

#209832 - 10/18/10 01:00 PM Re: Fire Making Tools [Re: ireckon]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Chicago, please describe how you made the handle on that ferro rod you said you "normally carry". It looks simple, but I've never seen it before.

It looks like he stuck a wire terminal on the end.

#209836 - 10/18/10 03:02 PM Re: Fire Making Tools [Re: Paul810]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Originally Posted By: Paul810

It looks like he stuck a wire terminal on the end.

Correct.

This is how the fire steel came from where I purchased it. The wire terminal is held in place with glue.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.