Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#209758 - 10/17/10 03:38 AM Re: Idaho Survival Story in the Making [Re: Susan]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Susan
Can you imagine the frustration if you fell and broke your leg and had nothing to write on/with to attach a note to the dog's collar?

At least they have an idea of what area he's in now.

Sue

That is why I always carry bright yellow surveyors tape and a red Sharpie. Both the tape and Sharpie ink is water proof.

In this particular case, a piece of tape with some info written on it then wrapped/woven around the dog's collar or neck may of been of some help in locating the missing person.

John Lubbock

#209762 - 10/17/10 11:06 AM Re: Idaho Survival Story in the Making [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I think you have to seriously consider a scenario in which our missing individual never had the opportunity to signal, write, or attach anything to the dog's collar. Perhaps a fall with no ability to function afterward.

Surely this person would be signaling in some manner if he could do that.

Bummer.

#209764 - 10/17/10 01:23 PM Re: Idaho Survival Story in the Making [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I think you have to seriously consider a scenario in which our missing individual never had the opportunity to signal, write, or attach anything to the dog's collar. Perhaps a fall with no ability to function afterward.

Surely this person would be signaling in some manner if he could do that.

Bummer.

Point taken, however you also have to think that if this person did have the materials to write and attach a message to the dog's collar does not imply he would have other ways/materials to signal with. I can think of many easily plausible injury scenarios where the person would not have the ability to signal even if he had the materials...which we may never know what the person was carrying in terms of a PSK.

John Lubbock

#209766 - 10/17/10 02:42 PM Re: Idaho Survival Story in the Making [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
He evidently did have he means to start a fire. Fires are pretty effective in calling attention to yourself in a search situation. No work on whether he carried a signal mirror, which would have been the perfect tool to employ during an aerial search, but a fire is nearly as good.

#209768 - 10/17/10 02:46 PM Re: Idaho Survival Story in the Making [Re: Teslinhiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I try to not second guess myself let alone folks who make a living in the field of survival. When I first saw pencil and paper in a survival kit I was like ?Huh? then started trying to think of why I would need pencil and paper . . . for self rescue. However, rather than dumping the pencil & paper from DR's PSP, I just slipped an intact and never even been opened PSP into a pocket and forgot about it -- still there.

Another PSP was disassembled and added to a personal FAK that is meant for use as needed. Pencil and paper stayed in it because there was/is room.

Hiking these days I'll have a mapping GPS, a PLB, whistle (duped in PSP), signal mirror (duped in PSP), fire making capability (duped in PSP). Most of the hiking I do is rather spur of the moment and unplanned. Stuff happens. . .

Need to start taking a dog for company . . . I'd love to know Ruby's story.

#209772 - 10/17/10 05:10 PM Re: Idaho Survival Story in the Making [Re: Russ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Due to the dog being found, looks like the search has been resumed.

LEWISTON, Idaho (AP) - Officials in northern Idaho have resumed the search for a hiker missing since last month after hunters found the man's dog.

Idaho County Sheriff Doug Giddings says Todd Hofflander's black Labrador retriever named Ruby was found Friday night on the eastern slopes of the Seven Devils mountain range.

John Lubbock

#209774 - 10/17/10 05:36 PM Re: Idaho Survival Story in the Making [Re: Susan]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt

Unfortunately, the dogs location provides little help in the search. The dog will backtrack to where the vehicle was parked when the trip started. After wandering around for a while, it will get its bearings and head home. Left alone, Ruby was on the correct road to Riggins.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#209782 - 10/17/10 07:59 PM Re: Idaho Survival Story in the Making [Re: ponder]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: ponder

Unfortunately, the dogs location provides little help in the search. The dog will backtrack to where the vehicle was parked when the trip started. After wandering around for a while, it will get its bearings and head home. Left alone, Ruby was on the correct road to Riggins.

Stepping outside my training/experience here but; won't most dogs stay with their owners if still alive and conscious?

#209799 - 10/18/10 02:48 AM Re: Idaho Survival Story in the Making [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Originally Posted By: ponder

Stepping outside my training/experience here but; won't most dogs stay with their owners if still alive and conscious?

Yes, unless a dog was spooked or chased off. Without knowing the flight or fight level the dog had it's hard to tell as well as how the dog tolerates sound. For instance a dog with sound sensitivity could have spooked from gun shots from a hunter. My take is a little different in that I would have put fresh trained dog teams in where the dog was found as that poor dog had to be both physically and mentally exhausted.

#209840 - 10/18/10 04:06 PM Re: Idaho Survival Story in the Making [Re: ponder]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
22nd DAY UPDATE

But after Ruby was found, a new search party that included Hofflander's friends and family tried unsuccessfully Saturday to get her to lead them to where Hofflander might be.

Unfortunately, Todd was last seen 4 miles north, 2 miles west and thousands of feet up and down from wence they started. If Todd got to water he could be at 4000' altitude or lower. There is little chance he would have tried to climb up with a bad knee.

WAYPOINTS: Input these points into http://mapper.acme.com/

A. McGaffey Cow Camp - N45.40571 W116.55649
B. Intersection of TRL 58 & TRL 140 - N45.40398 W116.55151
C. Intersection of TRL 58 & TRL 53 - N45.41177 W116.52357
D. Intersection of TRL 53 and Sheep Creek - N45.40508 W116.52366
E. GOAL – Sheep Creek Cabin - N45.46877 W116.55383
F. RUBY FOUND - On 10/15/10 - N45.34699 W116.49237

Edited by ponder (10/18/10 08:13 PM)
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.