Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#217260 - 02/16/11 08:40 PM Re: Fire Making Tools [Re: ChicagoCraig]
Medicineball Offline
Stranger

Some of you may have seen this, but there's an interesting discussion about rods vs. Lighters on bugoutbagquest.

The link to the post is here - the discussion is in the comments below the main post.

http://bugoutbagquest.blogspot.com/2011/01/what-to-use-to-start-fire.html

#217281 - 02/16/11 10:29 PM Re: Fire Making Tools [Re: Medicineball]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Medicineball
Some of you may have seen this, but there's an interesting discussion about rods vs. Lighters on bugoutbagquest.

The link to the post is here - the discussion is in the comments below the main post.

http://bugoutbagquest.blogspot.com/2011/01/what-to-use-to-start-fire.html

Here's what I said over there:

Quote:
I tend to agree with much of what Firesteel.com has said. However, my three means for fire making are two ferro rods and one lighter. I don't trust matches, and I trust a Bic lighter a little bit more than I trust matches. Ferro rods are the most rugged, even if not the easiest to use. For folks concerned about the weight of a ferro rod, come one now. All ferro rods are not the same. There are small ferro rods that have negligible weight such that its value far outweighs the weight cost.

For tinder, the heavyweight champion is cotton balls infused with Vaseline (Burt's Beeswax lip balm if not Vaseline). I'm not 100% sold on magnesium, but that's probably more of a personal thing. I need to practice more with magnesium to gain more confidence.

#250717 - 09/07/12 06:24 AM Re: Fire Making Tools [Re: ChicagoCraig]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Originally Posted By: QuietStove
Just added a lighter to my tool collection. The manufacture claims a thirty minute continuos burn time from a full butane charge. I will most likely carry this with me.

After almost two years the piezoelectric ignitor broke. I ordered a similar model from deal extreme for a lot less money $29 + ship versus $4.90 delivered! Mechanically it looks to be the same lighter but this variant has two pencil flames.

The torch lighter also pictured rocks. Very large capacity fuel tank and easy to operate. I picked it up from DE as well for $2.90 delivered. It replaces my broken lighter.

#250728 - 09/07/12 12:51 PM Re: Fire Making Tools [Re: ChicagoCraig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Most of us seems to agree that redundancy in fire making tools is good. I usually use a mimi-Bic with matches as backup. In critical situations, matches have always worked well for me. One thing about matches - they encourage one to be more deliberate in preparing and arranging the materials - and that, after all, is more important thanthe flame source.

#251365 - 10/02/12 03:52 PM Re: Fire Making Tools [Re: ChicagoCraig]
ChicagoCraig Offline

I added a few more lighters I thought I would include here.

Wind resistant lighter. This one has a seal that keeps moisture and dirt out when the lid is closed.

Table top lighter. Big tank for fuel - not very practical for an edc kit but really nice for the home workshop.

Flame shot.

Another table top lighter. Really large fuel tank. Again, not practical for an edc kit. I use this one for a lot of odd ball tasks.

Flame shot

Flame shot - there is an adjustment on the top which can trim the flame. Perfect for lighting candles.

I replaced my metal match. This is has been sitting for about one year. It lit very easily on the first strike.

This adapter allows me to fill the lighter with isobutane/propane canister gas.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.