Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#213340 - 12/20/10 01:17 AM Re: Fire Starters in FREEZING CONDITIONS [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Ferro Rod, Bunsen Burner "windproof" type butane lighter,and a Zippo.

Pack the Zippo in a ziplock freezer baggie to waterproof it.

Reason you need a zippo is because it's great for putting under a pile of wet tinder.

Is there a way to prevent a Zippo from drying out, or do you just have to refill it before every outing?

I have my Dad's old Zippo lighter - I found it among his things after he died and asked Mum if I could keep it - but have never really used it for anything.

Would vacuum sealing it work, or would the fuel just evaporate anyway?

#213346 - 12/20/10 06:23 AM Re: Fire Starters in FREEZING CONDITIONS [Re: aardwolfe]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I would try putting some Zippo lighter fluid,Very small amount in a Zip Lok bag,& Leave it for a Few days,constantly checking it,to see if it eats the bag or dissipates Rapidly! Probably Best to place it outside,in a Safe/Dry area.Zippo's leak,regardless of how/where they are carried,But they are Very Effective for their intended Purpose's! Good luck!

#213351 - 12/20/10 01:19 PM Re: Fire Starters in FREEZING CONDITIONS [Re: ireckon]
TimDex Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New York State
If I were absolutely determined to use a zippo lighter in a survival kit, I would probably keep it stored dry with a small can (I know 4 oz. cans are available) of zippo lighter fluid stored with it. Which would probably take up the space of three or four butane disposable lighters. Tim

#213369 - 12/21/10 12:42 AM Re: Fire Starters in FREEZING CONDITIONS [Re: ireckon]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
That's very nice kit, ireckon. I like how it's built around that big candle. It should definitely buy you some time.

It might be worth a try to stage a snowboarding mishap under safe controlled conditions and put it to test.

#213423 - 12/21/10 09:59 PM Re: Fire Starters in FREEZING CONDITIONS [Re: raptor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: raptor
That's very nice kit, ireckon. I like how it's built around that big candle. It should definitely buy you some time.

It might be worth a try to stage a snowboarding mishap under safe controlled conditions and put it to test.

I tested the kit in Tahoe at a ski resort two weeks ago when it was raining and somewhat windy, with snow on ground. Raining conditions is more of a challenge than snowing conditions in my experience. I was able to light the candle by using a Bic and a windshield made from my hands and jacket. I have heard that butane lighters (not Bics) have problems at high altitude. In contrast, I had no problem lighting a plain Bic at high altitude, but note that lighting a Bic in a wind is difficult.

I did not try to light the cotton balls, inner tube or trick candles. I figured those would be no more difficult than the candle. I also did not try to light a fire by using the ferro rod. Hey, I was mainly out there just to have some fun in the snow. I'll try the ferro rod next time. Maybe it will be easier than the Bic. Who knows?

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Doug_Ritter), 369 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.