Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#209444 - 10/10/10 10:58 PM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: MBO]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
MBO:

Don't take it all to heart. It's all relative (no pun intended).

Old history books will tell you that this is not a recent development. Every previous generation laments the decline of the next generation. Ask your grandparents what they think of your parents generation...I am sure that they would voice many similar concerns as discussed here already. My parents generation have made the same comments about my generation. I am almost certain that in 20 years or so, your generation will be saying much the same about your child's generation.

John Lubbock

#209446 - 10/10/10 11:02 PM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: MBO]
sotto Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: MBO
I don't mean to interrupt this thread, but I've been lurking here for a few years and this is the first thread that's really encouraged me to speak, if only to say how discouraging it is.

Nice to have you aboard, MBO, regardless how you got here. We all can learn something from this thread, even if it's only "think". Reading through it, and my own posts, I'm reminded of my dad and my Uncle Ed when they got "old". It was tiresome to hear them rail on about how things were changing for the worst. As my teacher wife always says, "I just want you to LISTEN!" ha So, just consider some of this venting.....some of it. Join in, and get something off your chest. We'll "LISTEN", already! And have fun.

#209447 - 10/10/10 11:14 PM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: MartinFocazio]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Welcome, MBO.

I know plenty of young people (19 and under), and young professionals (20-30). Most of them are a joy to have around. With regard to my own children I've worked hard to teach them what they need to know to be self-reliant, strong and smart. I had some good pre-parenting experience helping to raise my much younger brother. I've been mentoring less-experienced people at work for much of my working life, and there's no doubt that I'm a better parent as a result of the experience.

There are some parents out there that seem to be intent on raising over-entitled, spoiled, unintelligent and useless parasites. I've caught my children looking at these brats like they were studying so many disgusting insects, and it makes me proud.

#209450 - 10/10/10 11:28 PM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: Susan]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Susan
Maybe it is a plan...

Is it easier to rule over and take advantage of a large group of people who can't read, can't do basic math, are virtually incapable of figuring anything out, and are used to having everything done for them, or a large group of people who are educated and can think for themselves?

Come to think of it... look around, I think it's working.

Sue

+1.....The parochial schools are educating kids at a superior level at 1/3 to 1/4 the cost per student. This statement is based on standardized test score averages. There is absolutely no reason that public school systems could not restore order and provide a real education if that was the true objective.

#209463 - 10/11/10 01:33 AM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: MBO]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MBO

I might be being thin-skinned here,

Yup. Look, there are plenty of posts on forums I enjoy that I find disagreeable. Much worse than griping about persons of a particular age group. Its probably not what you want to hear but hang around long enough on ANY forum and you'll either develop thicker skin or learn to let things slide. And BTW, the Boomers are responsible for all the world's problems, not your generation. wink

#209481 - 10/11/10 07:38 AM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

You've gotta have a little sympathy for the youngsters trying to shock and awe the older generation.

We're probably the first generation that will listen to more noisy music than our kids smile

#209487 - 10/11/10 02:36 PM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: MartinFocazio]
sotto Offline
Addict

In the noisy music vein, it's probably an understatement to say that the entertainment business gives quite a bit of help and encouragement in promoting nincompoop-ism. I'm personally aware of extensive efforts to help educate and protect people from the dangers of loud sound (music, recreational, occupational noise, etc etc). Suffice it to say that thousands of person hours, and hundreds of thousands of dollars, including from big commercial entities like Shure Microphones, have gone into this public awareness effort over the last 25 years or so. And many thousands of professionals in the music and recording industry have received free annual hearing testing as part of this hearing-preservation effort.

So, I'm driving to work a few months ago, and I get behind a bus that has a big ad on the back and sides that says "LIVE LOUD! YOUR MUSIC, YOUR WAY!" It turns out that these ads were all over our metropolitan area--on billboards, bus-stops, etc., some even outside a large medical center that specializes in treating hearing problems. The ad featured some cute, hiply-dressed young kids standing in front of some very large, colorful loudspeakers. The sponsor of the ad? Here's a hint: their trademark is a cartoon mouse with big ears, a wide grin, red short pants, big yellow shoes and white gloves with only 4 fingers.

#209531 - 10/12/10 03:29 AM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Fyrediver Offline

I've been reading the posts and have decided that there are a couple things that bother me and I decided I have a couple points I'd like to throw into the fire.

One is the assertion that the military only uses up their recruits and does nothing to better them (Art). I think this gives grave disservice to the men and women in our military branches. These "kids" (even mere infantrymen) are taught more than just shooting and killing. They are taught leadership, teamwork, computer sciences, geopolitics, attention to detail, etc to accomplish their assigned mission - they are not robots merely blindly following orders. They are provided with numerous opportunities to attend college both during and following their service. The vast majority of service members serve with honor and deserve better. The few who don't fit are processed out.

Another is that the younger people are ALL jackwagons. Again, I think this is a serious over generalization. Each generation learns new skills that previous generations couldn't fathom. They also don't learn other skills that were critical to prior generations because they are no longer valuable to day to day living.

Each new generation shocks the previous generation just by living. It's especially in the nature of teenagers to challenge authority at all times. Remember when you were young, you did it too! There are many famous quotes back into antiquity about the new generation being lazy, ignorant wastrels and how their music is terrible. Ok, sometimes I agree with that last part but I do like me some GaGa smile

I do agree that newer generations are having to work really hard to maintain that shock and awe. I've recently encountered a disturbing trend of kids dressing like the 60's and 70's again! The Horror!

Loss of some skills occurs every generation but I do feel the loss is accelerating. Parents may learn only 25% of what their parent knew and then only pass on 25% to their children. The reasons are many and have been mentioned earlier, but each successive generation passes only a portion of their knowledge onward resulting in a diminishing return.

Additionally, I do think our public schools are failing in what I consider their primary mission. However, I feel it is the fault of the parents because the school system is overburdened doing the parent's job. Teachers are being charged with being supplemental parents rather than just being teachers. All the responsibility but none of the authority. Schools shouldn't be responsible for every facet of a child's life, but that's what they're being held responsible for doing. If the school does discipline a student oftentimes parents come to the school and complain that their little precious is being picked on. So much for the school having any authority to maintain order let alone establish a rigid standard. Parents that pay for private school or Home school are usually far more involved in their kid's schooling than many public school kids. Apples and Oranges with regards to parental involvement.

There, I've said my piece.

#209537 - 10/12/10 08:55 AM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: MartinFocazio]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
In answer to the initial question, of course we are raising a generation of nincompoops, and of jacks-of-all-trades, of genius-level folk, of mostly ordinary folks, etcetera. Pretty much the standard mix, I reckon.

Are they more distant from the skill set of the ordinary citizen of the past? Of course! Is it a potential awful thing? Of course! Was our generation in the same relative boat? You betcha!

Is this such a bad thing that we should be worried and up in arms? Not being a fortune-teller, I do not know. Glad I am not in charge.

I think those who value a certain skill set should do what they can to preserve it and pass it on. I think we must trust that somehow that will be enough.

My greater concern is that young people get a shot at critical and independent thinking. You know, the kind everyone says is a good idea but then does not teach because it immediately equips kids with the ability to question authority, mention the emperor has no clothes, stuff like that.

#209538 - 10/12/10 08:58 AM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: Fyrediver]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"They also don't learn other skills that were critical to prior generations because they are no longer valuable to day to day living."

* They can't think for themselves.
* They can't work out any kind of reasonable answer to even simple problems.
* They have no real concept of history at all. Their ignorance of the world is overwhelming.
* They can't seem to tell right from wrong, only what they want.
* They are seriously controlled by peer pressure, mainly in a negative way.
* They are rude and obnoxious from an early age and onward, not just teens. They tend not to improve... nasty at 15, nasty at 35. Why should they change?
* They don't care about anyone but themselves and some of their peer group; they don't even care about the family that is providing the largesse, they're just a kind of bank account and guaranteed source of toys.
* They are ruled by greed to a point that I have never seen outside large corporations and politicians.

So many of these young people really don't have much to offer society beyond some knowledge of electronics. Turn off the power and what do you have? NOTHING!

And if you place a group of these nincompoops (and worse) side by side with a group of homeschooled or private-schooled young people of the same ages whose parents actually cared about them, the differences are staggering, absolutely staggering. It's like two entirely different species.

It is said that a country has the government it deserves, and that probably also applies to its children.

Sue

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 441 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.