Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#209710 - 10/15/10 01:29 PM Re: Fire Starters in FREEZING CONDITIONS [Re: ireckon]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Here is one-handed fire starting with a ferro rod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l10DV95HA1I

#209716 - 10/15/10 02:42 PM Re: Fire Starters in FREEZING CONDITIONS [Re: ireckon]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Originally Posted By: ireckon
^That link goes to a strange Youtube page.

Thanks; I've updated my post with the url of the video I originally intended to post.

#209717 - 10/15/10 02:49 PM Re: Fire Starters in FREEZING CONDITIONS [Re: ChicagoCraig]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ChicagoCraig
Originally Posted By: Fyrediver
I'm a big fan of the Blastmatch and his little brother Sparkie. Both are ferro rods with built in sparking strips. What sets them apart is that they are used one handed so you can still use them if you've got an injury to an arm.

I love my Sparkie although he and his big brother are not needed for one handed fire starting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ql8yt_wHo

Nice! I never thought of that. Training and skills are so important.

#209743 - 10/16/10 12:21 AM Re: Fire Starters in FREEZING CONDITIONS [Re: ireckon]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Having lit fires at temperatures well below -40c two things I always try to carry for really cold fire lighting is 'Fire Paste' and good tinder.
boreal.net

#210085 - 10/21/10 11:17 PM Re: Fire Starters in FREEZING CONDITIONS [Re: ireckon]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Here's my neck pouch for when I go snowboarding:

-Orange 550 paracord
-Black pouch
-Scraper
-Ferro rod
-Peanut lighter
-Waterproof tinder case
-Fox 40 Sharx whistle
-Fauxton

#210150 - 10/23/10 03:08 AM Re: Fire Starters in FREEZING CONDITIONS [Re: ireckon]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Very nice- I like it.

#211348 - 11/15/10 04:00 PM Re: Fire Starters in FREEZING CONDITIONS [Re: ireckon]
handle Offline
Stranger

I see no reason to put myself in a position where one "fumble" = death? Why not have a suitable bivy and sleeping gear with you? If there's a lot of wind and no other shelter within reach, it may be a lot better to just "hole up" until the rain or snow stops, rather than waste time and body heat trying to start a fire, don't you think? Fire doesn't count for much unless you have a pile of fuel, shelter from the wind, and some sort of reflector. Otherwise, to stay warm, you have to build and maintain 3 fires, and sack out in the middle of the 3. so it's best by far to get to some sort of windbreak, preferably one that shields you from rain/snow, and which has fuel not too far away, before bothering to light a fire.

#211350 - 11/15/10 04:04 PM Re: Fire Starters in FREEZING CONDITIONS [Re: handle]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: handle
I see no reason to put myself in a position where one "fumble" = death? Why not have a suitable bivy and sleeping gear with you? If there's a lot of wind and no other shelter within reach, it may be a lot better to just "hole up" until the rain or snow stops, rather than waste time and body heat trying to start a fire, don't you think? Fire doesn't count for much unless you have a pile of fuel, shelter from the wind, and some sort of reflector. Otherwise, to stay warm, you have to build and maintain 3 fires, and sack out in the middle of the 3. so it's best by far to get to some sort of windbreak, preferably one that shields you from rain/snow, and which has fuel not too far away, before bothering to light a fire.

I didn't think of that. I'll certainly consider bringing both. You're not saying I should leave behind my small fire starter kit, are you?

#211369 - 11/15/10 08:47 PM Re: Fire Starters in FREEZING CONDITIONS [Re: ireckon]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
While I couldn't see carrying a complete winter bivvy/bedding setup while snowboarding. I would at least be carrying a Heatsheets Emergency Bivvy.

I mean, the clothing snowboarders typically wear provides a lot of insulation and protection versus, say, a pair of jeans. This is already a huge advantage in making a night outdoors survivable vs someone wearing lighter and less weather resistant clothing.

Between the clothing, the bivvy helping to provide some additional insulation and wetness protection, and some pine boughs below and above providing additional insulation I wouldn't doubt it could keep a person alive down to some surprising temperatures. Comfortable, no, but still alive.

With that said, finding/building a proper shelter and building a fire is always going to be your best bet. Even with a good winter bivvy setup, you are still relying on your core heat to keep you warm and alive. This is kind of a loosing battle, as you aren't adding any additional heat beyond what your body can make. Since you probably aren't eating much, if anything, your body is going to have a tough time keeping your core temperature up. Therefore, you are going to have a tough time staying warm.

What makes a fire so important is that it adds heat beyond what your body can provide. Even if you don't have windbreaks/reflectors (which aren't really that hard to make, I mean your snowboard could work as a reflector) a fire can still provide some additional warmth. It also has a secondary psychological benefit, as it gives you something to focus your attention too. Otherwise, you pretty much just dwelling on how cold and probably hungry you are, and if you're out at night...how dark and spooky it is.

Besides that, fire has the potential added benefits of being a signal and a helpful deterrent if any animals come around thinking you might make a good meal.

#211372 - 11/15/10 11:31 PM Re: Fire Starters in FREEZING CONDITIONS [Re: ireckon]
sotto Offline
Addict

Sorry, I admit to not reading this whole post. I may even be posting the same thing myself twice. At any rate, I saw a vid (maybe youtube) once where an experienced backcountry snowmobiler in some serious wilderness area was demonstrating his "last ditch" a_s-saving emergency fire-starting protocol. He was on a "frozen-over" river, and intentionally drove his snowmobile into one of those areas covered by snow where the river ice had cracked and liquid water had come through forming a large puddle just under the snow. His snowmobile got caught in the slush and he found himself seriously wet and cold from the dunking.

His a_s saving firekit was:

a roll of toilet paper in a plastic bag, a can of lighter fluid, a pile of sticks, and a sparking tool.

He squirted the lighter fluid on some of the toilet paper, and had it blazing away in seconds. He piled some sticks on top of this and stripped down in front of the fire and had his wet clothes drying out in just a couple minutes. I found this to be a very impressive demo.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 463 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by M_a_x
11 minutes 35 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.