Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#209006 - 10/04/10 03:33 PM Inexpensive kit
njs Offline

Loc: Colorado
After seeing a thread for ideas to create a $5.00 kit for scouts, I was inspired to see what type of kit it would be possible to make cheaply and quickly. A trip to a Dollar Tree store and a Family Dollar store provided the following items:

ITEM___Price ___Qty/Kit___Cost/Kit___Notes

Family Chef brand pairing knife___1.00___1___1.00___ surprisingly sturdy but not very sharp
Dorcy LED clip light___1.00___1___1.00___bright, handy design, 3 watch batteries
Viva disposable lighter 3 pack___1.00___1___.33___ basic lighter
Favors whistles 8 pack___1.00___1___ .13___pea-less, loud, high pitched
Armour Vienna Sausages___ .50___1___.5___ survival food only in useful metal can
Family Chef mini storage box 8 pack___1.00___2___ .26___small water resistant box
Tool Bench brand 164' line reel___1.00__82'___ .50___ approx. 40# test
30 gallon trash bags 9 pack___1.00___2___.22 ___very thin material but strong
Halloween candy mix___1.00___2 ___.10___non melting candy
Strike on box matches 10 pack___1.00___1box___.10___thin wooden matches
Tape It brand duct tape 10yards___1.00___3yrds___.33___lightweight sticky tape
Liquid Skin 2 pack___1.00___1 tube___ .50___medical grade cyanoacrylate
Freezer Bags quart size 16 pack___1.00___2 bags___ .13___cheap bags
Cotton balls 100 count___1.00___8___.08___cotton balls
toilet paper small roll___n/a___1___ .00___2-ply from home supply
Petroleum jelly lip balm 2 pack___1.00___1 tube___ .50___small squeeze tube

Total (per kit) $5.68

The complete kit fits tightly into a one quart zipper bag and weighs less than one pound. The knife blade is covered with a tape and cardboard sheath and the duct tape and cord are wrapped around cardboard. The cardboard was salvaged from some of the packaging.

Nothing in the kit is of exceptional quality or ruggedness but all of the items are functional and could be used for short term survival; the basics of shelter, fire, food and signaling are covered.

The knife is a simple full tang stainless kitchen knife. It was used to cut all of the card board, cord and tape while packing the kit.

The best find was the liquid skin. It is like a generic brand Dermabond (medical skin glue) and I plan to add it into all of my first aid kits.

I don't have any plans to put this kit to the test but I think for around $6.00 it is a legitimate and serviceable emergency kit for use by people with basic skills and a tight budget. I think the biggest obstacle to creating a budget kit is the inconsistency of items carried at dollar type stores.

#209008 - 10/04/10 04:04 PM Re: Inexpensive kit [Re: njs]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Cool! Yes, I browse the Dollar Store for gear. I like honing my skills while I'm just sitting out back, and that can get expensive.

Some Dollar Stores sell Murray's Beeswax (some sort of hair dressing). It's better fuel than Vaseline in my opinion. Also, the container provides a lot more fuel than 2 packs of Vaseline, and more options. You could use one Murray's Beeswax container on cotton for 100 scouts.

#209010 - 10/04/10 04:15 PM Re: Inexpensive kit [Re: njs]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
thanks for the frugal posting.

#209011 - 10/04/10 05:02 PM Re: Inexpensive kit [Re: ireckon]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I wouldn't use Hair dressing as a substitute for Vaseline as,It is Not as Versatile,ie..Aside from firestarting/acceleration,It will Waterproof just about everything,Funny as it may seem/sound-I wouldn't use hair dressing to releive a case of Monkey Butt,Nor would I put it on my lips,should they be chapped.Vaseline is almost scent-free,whereas hair dressing is likely to have some perfume type additive,I don't want to attract anymore critters than is Necessary-Skeeters,Wasps,Bees,Ants,& Most of All...Bears!Vaseline works real well for chafing-Feet,Knees,Elbows,etc.YMMV

#209013 - 10/04/10 05:18 PM Re: Inexpensive kit [Re: njs]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Don't get hung up on a category I placed it in. Murray's Beeswax basically equals Vaseline plus beeswax. For fuel, I have found that Murray's Beeswax lasts longer than Vaseline. I avoid using Vaseline (petrolatum) as lip balm because it doesn't moisturize or hydrate. If you do use it as lip balm, make sure you have enough for the remainder of the trip because you'll have to keep applying it.

Cool video showing use of Murray's Beeswax...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zqJFarFYxU

#209017 - 10/04/10 07:06 PM Re: Inexpensive kit [Re: njs]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Nice! Very good first post. Welcome to ETS.

#209024 - 10/04/10 08:34 PM Re: Inexpensive kit [Re: njs]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: njs

Total (per kit) $5.68

The complete kit fits tightly into a one quart zipper bag and weighs less than one pound. The knife blade is covered with a tape and cardboard sheath and the duct tape and cord are wrapped around cardboard. The cardboard was salvaged from some of the packaging.

Nothing in the kit is of exceptional quality or ruggedness but all of the items are functional and could be used for short term survival; the basics of shelter, fire, food and signaling are covered.

Sometimes it's easy to fetishize the gear- I know I'm often guilty of that. The truth is, this simple kit could save your life, provided you had it on you and you had some basic survival skills. Obviously most of the dollar store stuff will be pretty low end compared to what you'd get a REI but it's better than nothing!

The knife is a simple full tang stainless kitchen knife. It was used to cut all of the card board, cord and tape while packing the kit.

As a dyed-in-the-wool knifenerd I'd obviously prefer to have a better quality knife, but a cheap kitchen knife can perform many survival tasks. For less a $1 more you could also add a cheap razor knife or two.

The best find was the liquid skin. It is like a generic brand Dermabond (medical skin glue) and I plan to add it into all of my first aid kits.

That's quite a score! I'll have to look for that.

I don't have any plans to put this kit to the test but I think for around $6.00 it is a legitimate and serviceable emergency kit for use by people with basic skills and a tight budget. I think the biggest obstacle to creating a budget kit is the inconsistency of items carried at dollar type stores.

I've noticed that, too. I'd never been in my local dollar store until a month ago. When the grocery store closest to my house closed recently I had to start shopping at one across town. Out of curiousity one day when I didn't feel like fighting traffic and driving across town I stopped at the dollar store and was surprised at all the stuff they had. Now I probably drop in once a week to see what's new.

#209551 - 10/12/10 05:40 PM Re: Inexpensive kit [Re: njs]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Great post njs. Thanks! Dollar stores are a treasure trove of good finds.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#209555 - 10/12/10 10:24 PM Re: Inexpensive kit [Re: njs]
TrailDemon Offline

Loc: BC, CANADA

#209556 - 10/12/10 10:27 PM Re: Inexpensive kit [Re: njs]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Excellent post.

The largest return on investment is always on the low end. I explained this to a guy who claimed only the best would do by posing a thought exercise. Imagine you were dropped into a vast wilderness with nothing but street clothes. You don't know where you are. All you know is that you are going to have to get by with what you have. It is going to get cold and dark. You are in desperate straits.

You start looking around and find an old shoebox. Inside you find a half-sharp discount store fishing knife, a cheap butane lighter, a 25' hank of cheap plastic coated clothesline, two trash bags.

You, of course, decide that none of that stuff is good enough so you toss it away and keep looking.

Virtually anything is better than nothing. A simple flake of rock no bigger than a fingernail was a major technical advance for our distant ancestors who previously only had teeth and fingernails. Marks left on fossilized bones show that tiny flakes of stone were often used to butcher large animals.

Don't overlook discount stores. Even if they are not up to your preferred standards the equipment us cheap enough to buy in quantity to assemble give-away kits. Dollar stores are good. But also consider Goodwill and the Salvation army stores. Jumble shops, flea markets, and consignment stores are also good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.