Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#208915 - 10/03/10 07:13 PM 3V vs. INFI
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I was wondering if any one had used any knives that were made of 3V. I have several INFI knives and had heard that 3V rivals INFI steel in edge retention and hardness but is difficult to sharpen compared to INFI. I had saw this discussion (below) on BF about it and was wondering if any one has used a Fehrman knife before and how it compares to a Busse? I know how tough the Busse knives are cutting through concrete blocks, trees, bed frames, etc.. and still remain razor sharp plus being able to bend 90 degrees and spring back to true and I have heard that Febrman may be similar in strength but I have heard it does chip sometimes in extreme strength but most people would never reach that level unless cutting through aircraft skin. So my question would be if anyone had any experience with 3V and your opinion.
Thanks

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=87a3240f6bdb175f420d355e6d7f6ed0&t=778811

fehrman
http://web.archive.org/web/20071027080302/www.fehrmanknives.com/knives.htm

busse
http://www.bussecombat.com/knives/index.shtml

#208922 - 10/03/10 08:50 PM Re: 3V vs. INFI [Re: falcon5000]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I won't comment on the crazy cutting through concrete and stress tests.

3V by both Fehrman and Dan Koster is good stuff. I have three Fehrman knives and should be getting my second Koster (Bushmaster) this week. No complaints.

What is the metallurgical composition of Infi? Is it still proprietary?

#208938 - 10/04/10 12:14 AM Re: 3V vs. INFI [Re: Russ]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Yes Russ I think infi is still propriety, I understand the contrversal views on extreme knife abuse but I like sometimes to see what knives can do before they fail. Most of my use is chopping small trees and such and it's nice to have that edge retention thatseperates the lower and upper end products sometimes. I'm glad to see someone who uses 3v to see how they like it thanks russ.

#208984 - 10/04/10 12:10 PM Re: 3V vs. INFI [Re: falcon5000]
Russ Offline
Geezer

http://www.crucibleservice.com/eSelector.htm Select CPM 3V and you'll find:
Quote:
CPM® 3V

CPM 3V is a high toughness, wear-resistant tool steel made by the Crucible Particle Metallurgy process. It is designed to provide maximum resistance to breakage and chipping in a high wear-resistance steel. It offers impact resistance greater than A2, D2, Cru-Wear, or CPM M4, approaching the levels provided by S7 and other shock resistant grades. CPM 3V is intended to be used at 58/60 HRC in applications where chronic breakage and chipping are encountered in other tool steels, but where the wear properties of a high alloy steel are required.

Nominal Composition
Carbon 0.80%
Chromium 7.50%
Vanadium 2.75%
Molybdenum 1.30%

Typical Applications
Stamping or Forming Tools Punches and Dies
Blanking Tools Fineblanking Tools
Industrial Knives and Slitters Shear Blades
Scrap Choppers Rolls
Plastic Injection and Extrusion Feedscrews

The wear and toughness properties of CPM 3V make it an excellent alternative to shock-resistant steels such as S7 or A9, where they typically wear out too quickly, but where grades such as A2, CruWear, or CPM M4 tend to fail by breaking or chipping. CPM 3V offers the highest impact toughness of any tool steel with this range of wear resistance.

#208993 - 10/04/10 01:44 PM Re: 3V vs. INFI [Re: Russ]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Thanks Russ, I had found that out yesterday as well, this is all I could find out about INFI, I know it's good stuff as well. I do like the ability to get a knife now vs having to wait for windows of opportunities for certain knives to come up. Jerry makes awesome knives but it is very frustrating on how to get them and if his knives weren't in such high demand maybe he would change his business model. That's extremely doubtful. I can vouch for his knives are the toughest knives I have came across and I have yet to damage one yet including cutting a head off a snake on concrete and not even a scratch on the blade. I will look into 3V as well and may order one and see how it does, I appreciate the feedback Russ.

------------INFI Info if interested-------------------------

http://homepage.mac.com/zombiekiller/badmojo/infi.html

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/infi.shtml

http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml

INFI is currently only used by Jerry Busse. In place of some of the carbon (INFI contains 0.50% carbon), INFI has nitrogen. The result is a non-stainless steel that is nevertheless extremely stain resistant (informally reported at close to D2, or even better), incredibly tough for a high-alloy ingot steel, and with extremely good wear resistance. Ref - INFI Steel Composition.

INFI - The composition shown in the primary record was obtained by a lab in Germany and it contains Nitrogen, which was confirmed by Jerry Busse (the presence of nitrogen, not the whole composition), although Jerry didn't dispute the results either. However, there is another X-Ray SEM analysis of the INFI steel, performed by Darrel Lewis, working at Inobond, child company of the Bodycote. The result is different, andat the moment I have no idea which one is correct, or those were two different INFIs. Alternate composition:
Carbon C - 0.64
Silicon Si - 0.63
Chromium Cr - 8.12
Molybdenum Mo - 0.85
Vanadium - 0.33
As you can see this one has no Nitrogen.

Although the hardened INFI knives are 60 - 62 Rc we have yet been able to chip an edge. The edge can be dented or disalligned but its high level of malleability at such high hardness has never been duplicated by any other steel that we are aware of or have tested. We have bent INFI 35 degrees in a vise and it springs back to true. Why? What is the benefit to the customer? Not only does this test demonstrate the enormous toughness and lateral strength of an INFI blade but because our hardness is homogenous and not differential it demonstrates the amount of lateral strength and "spring" that the edge has as well.

INFI has demonstrated very high levels of stain resistance in many different climates. Uncoated blades have been tested for more than a year in Alaska and have made their way into the wilds of British Columbia, the High Sierras and the tropical rain forest. No rust in Alaska or British Columbia! No rust in the High Sierras, even when exposed to great quantities of blood and left in the wet grass overnight. The tropical rain forest, which has been known to rust plastic (just kidding), did offer the toughest of the environmental exposures and a light speckling of oxidation did occur but was easily removed in the field with a hand rubbing of sand and water. No pitting was reported. Now I'm sure that salt-water exposure would offer some different results. The point is that although INFI is not a stainless it is certainly not a rust aggressive steel as many of the high carbon steels have proven to be.We highly encourage gross abuse as it is covered by OUR warranty.

#209004 - 10/04/10 03:14 PM Re: 3V vs. INFI [Re: falcon5000]
Russ Offline
Geezer

A thread you may be interested in. Note the preference in steel. . .

#209038 - 10/05/10 12:18 AM Re: 3V vs. INFI [Re: Russ]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Wow, very nice. Thanks Russ, I was actually looking for one of these in either infi or 3v and this is something I would definitely be interested in. I didn't see a time frame, I take it is similar to the busse forum and keep monitoring for a release. This would make a good companion to my leatherman. And I did notice a lot of familiar faces that are at the Busse Combat forum as well. Thanks once again.

Update, I signed up for his mailing list for a heads up.

Edited by falcon5000 (10/05/10 12:29 AM)

#209064 - 10/05/10 06:19 AM Re: 3V vs. INFI [Re: falcon5000]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Those knives are cool to look at and collect but lugging around a 9" long 1/4" thick knife seems excessive.

If you wish to chop firewood bring a small hatchet. Probably weigh less with a small hatchet and a medium fixed blade than one large fixed blade.

I have a: http://www.knivesplus.com/ontario-qn-rat7.html
One of my favorite multi-purpose knives, and even at .187 thick it's pretty heavy/big to lug around. Great for small limbs though, and great grip. Also 1/3 the price iirc to the Busse or Fehrman.

In the woods/hiking I like to carry my BENCHMADE 140 Nimravus Plain Blade in M2 steel. Light weight, razor sharp, and strong. Having a small hatchet, or backpack folding / bow saw for wood work is great addition too. I normally also carry my Benchmade Folder for small tasks.. probably don't need it but it's always clipped to my pocket.

#209070 - 10/05/10 01:05 PM Re: 3V vs. INFI [Re: falcon5000]
Russ Offline
Geezer

falcon, you may also want to consider 4" 2010 Bushcraft - Flat Ground CPM 3V

#209116 - 10/05/10 09:58 PM Re: 3V vs. INFI [Re: falcon5000]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Cool thanks russ, I have a few 4 inch blades,I'll probably pass on that one. Thanks anyway though.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.