Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#199765 - 04/06/10 09:52 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: Art_in_FL]
MIKEG Offline

Loc: VA
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Originally Posted By: hikermor
$25 for a match safe is peanuts compared to their projected cost for a 650ml TITANIUM water bottle - $95 for preorders. Makes my recycled Gatorade bottles look like real bargains. 650ml is a piddling amount of water to carry im most circumstances. Yuppy gear central.

Yes, I saw that but declined to comment. You could buy the entire contents of one of my smaller kits for $95. Sounds silly to spend that sort of cash for a bottle. I usually use a recycled plastic water bottle and pay nothing. If you feel you really need a metal one, perhaps to boil water in, a Sigg bottle goes for what ... $8 or $10? For boiling I use a 1500ml aluminum pot that sold for $5 but gear choice is a personal thing.

I go cheap and buy three at a time.

I would caution against using a SIGG bottle for boiling. SIGG bottles along with most of the popular bottles are lined, some with spray in liners like the SIGG or ceramic inserts. When heated these will deteriorate and could contaminate your water not to mention the damage done to the bottle. I have been using Klean Kanteens for a good while now and love them. Even after extensive use on fires, stoves, grills, charcoal, etc and they look good as new with a quick scrub. Interior is unlined and looks just like it did new.

Here is a blog write up I did on them with some pics of them getting boiled: http://austereprovisions.blogspot.com/2010/01/aqua-est-vita.html

#199774 - 04/06/10 11:31 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: snoman]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
If I still worked in a machine shop, or had access to the equipment I'd make one of those strikers because of the cool factor.

They're definitely cool looking, and something can be said for protecting the firesteel, but I don't think I'd pay for one.

They've sold out, so that's a good for the manufacturer.

Edited by Nicodemus (04/06/10 11:32 PM)

#199775 - 04/06/10 11:42 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: snoman]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Survival bling. Just like the K&M Matchcase and the TADGear Life Capsule or their all metal fire sparker. Or well designed knives, like anything from Chris Reeve. Or some of the really slick flashlights from an outfit like Fenix. Or a seriously tuned and tricked out HiPower or 1911.

AKA, expensive, but extremely well thought out. Everything I've heard about them is that the fit and finish are impeccable. Yes, it out of my price range for what it is, and that sucks. Doesn't mean I dont' want one.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#199780 - 04/07/10 02:01 AM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
I'd buy one.

My reasoning:

This is not an every day tool. Its designed and intended to be carried 24/7 in a manner that protects the firesteel but is extremly durable. One of the major problems that I have with firesteels - and I speak as someone who carries one for 16 hours a day - is protecting it. The best solution that I have come up with so far is to coat it with nail varnish. Which works, but I have to recoat on a regular basis.

I also EDC a (Swedish) firesteel on my keyring. My steel is worn from its actual intended use. Unless I am really missing something here, why the need to protect the steel and from what?

John Lubbock

#199785 - 04/07/10 04:42 AM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: Teslinhiker]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Corrosion from Salt air,Salt water,Bleach from washed clothing,Acid rain,to name a few.Ferro=Iron

#199787 - 04/07/10 04:58 AM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: Teslinhiker]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Fire steels oxidise very quickly.This is even more so in a marine environment.Fire steels contain ferrous metal and will break down in moist climates.Imagine swamps,jungles,rain forrests and the like.I was on a beach operation once and a DOANS magnesium block had its stricker rot out in less than two weeks.I like the concept of the Nano Striker but think it is too small.The small parts may be hard to handle with cold and numb fingers.I also do not like that it screws together as the threading could seize up.If it just pushed in like the cap on a K&M Matchsafe then it would be ideal...

BOATMAN
John

#199788 - 04/07/10 05:14 AM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: boatman]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I have a small fire steel on my keychain for probably a year now and it gets wet all the time from sweat, condensation etc. no sign of corrosion.

#199791 - 04/07/10 10:42 AM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: Richlacal]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Corrosion from Salt air,Salt water,Bleach from washed clothing,Acid rain,to name a few.Ferro=Iron

You are kidding, right?

John Lubbock

#199792 - 04/07/10 10:47 AM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: boatman]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: boatman
Fire steels oxidise very quickly.This is even more so in a marine environment.Fire steels contain ferrous metal and will break down in moist climates

I have never seen this problem and live in a rain forest environment.

As I said before, my steel (3+ yrs old) is actually worn from use and shows no sign of corrosion or breakdown by any environmental means.

I suppose if I left the steel outside on the ground, in the raw elements for months at a time, then there may be some corrosion or breakdown...

John Lubbock

#199797 - 04/07/10 11:49 AM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: Teslinhiker]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I have a Magfire Pro that I've been carrying around on my EDC keychain for about 3 years now and it has a thin layer of corrosion/oxidation that has to be scraped off before it will spark well. This is not the Firesteel that I use on camping, hiking and skills trips though it always goes. It's my backup so it doesn't get used.

You might use yours enough and on a regular enough basis so that there's no noticeable corrosion/oxidation buildup.

There's not a lot of buildup on my regular use steel.

Edited by Nicodemus (04/07/10 11:51 AM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.