Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#199710 - 04/06/10 01:54 AM Exotac NanoSTRIKER...
snoman Offline

Hey all, I just wanted to inform ya'all about an interesting fire-striker I just found. It's from a company called EXOTAC (www.exotac.com). They call it the NanoSTRIKER, a small 0.6 ounce ferocerium rod in it's own case. It seems pretty well-made.
Here's a video:
Exotac NanoSTRIKER

#199720 - 04/06/10 03:54 AM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: snoman]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

They are pretty old standbys done over in high-gloss CNC machining and coatings. They certainly look pretty and incorporate many small product improvements. How much aesthetics and such improvements matter to you is up in the air.

They are also quite proud of their line. I'm not entirely sure a $25 match safe or $27 spark rod is exponentially better than a $5 match safe and/or $7 striker.

If you have the money and like refined gear they might be up your alley. Not to say any one is that way but I expect them to go over big with gear snobs. It comes down to what the extra twenty dollars for each means to you. If it means you feel better or more confident in your kit then it may be worth it.

#199733 - 04/06/10 11:45 AM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
$25 for a match safe is peanuts compared to their projected cost for a 650ml TITANIUM water bottle - $95 for preorders. Makes my recycled Gatorade bottles look like real bargains. 650ml is a piddling amount of water to carry im most circumstances.

Yuppy gear central.

#199736 - 04/06/10 01:02 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: hikermor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
650ml TITANIUM water bottle - $95 for preorders

Drools on desk cool - but I would have to have a 1 litre Bottle and it would have to weigh less than the equivalent Sigg aluminium?

This is getting more like it though;

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/store/p1593/Titanium-Water-Bottle/product_info.html

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/06/10 01:11 PM)

#199740 - 04/06/10 02:04 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I can buy a small ferro rod for a dollar or two and put it in my wallet if I wanted a tiny ferro rod. Not worth $30+ to me.

Don't waste your money on gimmicks.

JMNSHO.

Bob

#199743 - 04/06/10 02:56 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: ILBob]
CAL Offline
Stranger

Loc: Somewhere between lost and fou...
I have one, sorry but, I like it blush I also have an Armageddon FireSteel Tube which throws great sparks but, is really big. I like the size of the NanoSTRIKER and the fact that the ferro rod is protected. I have the NanoSTRIKER in a small PSK and the Armageddon in a BOB. I don't think I am a gear snob, I still have tin can stoves, I do think I am a gear junkie though. crazy

#199759 - 04/06/10 08:02 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: ]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I'd buy one.

My reasoning:

This is not an every day tool. Its designed and intended to be carried 24/7 in a manner that protects the firesteel but is extremly durable. One of the major problems that I have with firesteels - and I speak as someone who carries one for 16 hours a day - is protecting it. The best solution that I have come up with so far is to coat it with nail varnish. Which works, but I have to recoat on a regular basis.

Also the build quality looks to be extremely good. The firesteel is replacable. I like that.

One final point: you get what you pay for. If this is as good as first impression suggest then I expect this to become a benchmark. Think K&M matchcase build quality.

#199762 - 04/06/10 09:02 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:
One of the major problems that I have with firesteels - and I speak as someone who carries one for 16 hours a day - is protecting it. The best solution that I have come up with so far is to coat it with nail varnish. Which works, but I have to recoat on a regular basis.

You might try using a bit of heat shrink tubing. Cut it a little long, shrink on, cut to remove excessive over hang. Then slide off and apply few drops of nail polish or hot glue to keep the tubing from sliding off and slide back on. It should last longer than the nail varnish while still being easily removed.

#199763 - 04/06/10 09:10 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: hikermor]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
$25 for a match safe is peanuts compared to their projected cost for a 650ml TITANIUM water bottle - $95 for preorders. Makes my recycled Gatorade bottles look like real bargains. 650ml is a piddling amount of water to carry im most circumstances. Yuppy gear central.

Yes, I saw that but declined to comment. You could buy the entire contents of one of my smaller kits for $95. Sounds silly to spend that sort of cash for a bottle. I usually use a recycled plastic water bottle and pay nothing. If you feel you really need a metal one, perhaps to boil water in, a Sigg bottle goes for what ... $8 or $10? For boiling I use a 1500ml aluminum pot that sold for $5 but gear choice is a personal thing.

I go cheap and buy three at a time.

#199764 - 04/06/10 09:28 PM Re: Exotac NanoSTRIKER... [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
MIKEG Offline

Loc: VA
Read the "About Us" section of the website. They fully declare that they are making gear with cost being a secondary factor and function being the primary factor. I emailed them a few minutes ago to see if the products were made in the USA which would contribute to the cost although even products made overseas to a high spec can be expensive. As far as I am concerned I think it is a good design although I would like to test one out. I destroy lots of gear every year looking for the best of the best so I have no problem buying, carrying, using, and recommending pricey gear as long as it stands up to the test. Inexpensive gear is great as long as it does the job and the cost savings doesnt outweigh the corners cut.

That being said some expensive gear is just outrageous and the expense outweighs the benefit and seems to be more of a status symbol than actual use items. I see these as being a well designed option but I will hold any more opinions as far as use and durability until I can play with one.

Some other observations:

The striker has the benefit of being discreet on a key chain where as my hacked Swedish Firesteel Mini is anything but discreet:

Before the hack:

Hacked to reduce size and weight:

Discreet is a double edged sword. If something is very discreet and I am dead other survivors may not know what they have but at the same time discreet avoids attention at things like security checkpoints.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.