Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#225589 - 06/09/11 10:51 PM Re: Big dogs / little fence [Re: nouseforaname]
red Offline

Originally Posted By: rumbaugh
pepper spray has been proven ineffective against some particularly aggressive and committed breeds.

Do you have the articles or citations for that proof?

Originally Posted By: rumbaugh
sticks require a high degree of accuracy and strength...a 'bop' on the noggin just ain't gonna cut it.
can't carry a gun.

'Tasers' are one shot deals. Drive stun and or the non-projectile models require up close and personal utilization (if they work at all) and in that case, lethal force is warranted.

hypovolemic shock will stop anything...carry a knife discreetly, yet easily accesible. a 'waved' folder, or even an open folder secured in a sheath, if not a fixed blade...stab for effect.

if you're gonna tango with an angry dog, you're gonna get bit...accept that and proceed with violence of action.

I agree with much of the above, except I have a question on the hypovolemic shock...are you thinking a Cali-legal knife (2.5 inches or less!) is enough to cause the hypovolemic shock? Are you going to try for the carotid, or what? A taser gives you one shot, yes, but I'd want at least that one shot before going to the 2.5 inch knife.

#225825 - 06/12/11 11:42 PM Re: Big dogs / little fence [Re: Mark_R]
KenOTBC Offline
Stranger

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Mark, our dog trainer recommends this http://www.absaustralia.com/animalcontrol/animal-control-direct-stop.html

The website says;
Direct Stop Animal Deterrent Spray was developed specifically for Use in controlling aggressive animals.

It is safe for humans and pets, while providing a strong deterrent for the animal. The Direct Stop formula contains a citronella grass. The propellant used in Direct Stop is safe for humans, animals and the environment (ozone friendly).

How Direct Stop Works: The strong force of the spray combined with the Citronella odour distracts the animal from the object of its aggression providing valuable additional seconds to help enable the user to retreat to a safe place.

This method of distracting the animal avoids the potential of bringing out more aggression, as may be the case with some animals that have been sprayed with pepper spray.

CAUTION:
Although Direct Stop has been shown to be as effective as 10% Pepper Spray in dogs, it may not stop trained attack animals or those with a strong motivation to attack.

Our dog trainer always carries this spray when in class or out with her own dogs.

I doubt these dogs will jump the fence to attack, these sorts of attacks are rare but do happen. If you enter its territory an attack is very likely, but for a dog to jump a fence to attack you they have to be very aggressive. In all likelyhood they are just bored, and / or scared. If you are really worried about the dogs, report them to the authorities - you have the right to walk down the street without being intimidated by someone's dogs.

Don't eyeball the dogs - direct eye contact is dog body language for a challenge and / or downright aggressive. I wouldn't try and feed them - walking up to them even with food could upset them. Just walk on by on the other side of the road and leave them well alone.

If they do jump the fence to attack you, the bad news is that in all probability they are highly motivated to cause you damage. The spray / stick might well not be enough, but use them. Don't run. Blow your whistle to try and attract attention and help. Aside from that I'm not qualified to give further advise - I will ask our dog trainer next time I see her

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.