Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#208833 - 10/01/10 06:28 PM Are we raising a generation of nincompoops?
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2010/09/27/are_we_raising_a_generation_of_nincompoops/

"Second-graders who can't tie shoes or zip jackets. Four-year-olds in Pull-Ups diapers. Five-year-olds in strollers. Teens and preteens befuddled by can openers and ice-cube trays. College kids who've never done laundry, taken a bus alone or addressed an envelope.

Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? And do we have only ourselves to blame? Or are some of these things simply the result of kids growing up with push-button technology in an era when mechanical devices are gradually being replaced by electronics?"

link

#208835 - 10/01/10 06:40 PM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: MartinFocazio]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
There are a lot of kids around that don't meet minimum standards of age-appropriate competence. I for one work to ensure that my children, at least, will not be counted among the nincompoops.

#208836 - 10/01/10 06:44 PM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: MartinFocazio]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I recently read that California used to have one of the best public school systems in the WORLD. Now, decades later, California has one of the worst public school systems. What happened?

#208837 - 10/01/10 06:54 PM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
While I agree somewhat with the article's conclusions, how many of have all the skills and abilities of our parents? Or think of it this way, how many of your parent's skills are obsolete now?

That being said, we are trying to install in our kids a strong skill set including math, science and engineering. I keep thinking that someday those that understand the world will rule the world... crazy

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#208838 - 10/01/10 06:57 PM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Behind every nincompoop kid are nincompoop parents.

Seems every generation thinks the young'uns don't measure up in some ways.

#208839 - 10/01/10 07:01 PM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: Blast]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Reading, writing, talking, listening, math, science, engineering, swimming, shooting, driving, hiking, camping, cooking, animal care, laundry, running, bicycling, budgeting, saving. Without making jokes off of Heinlein's list http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?SpecializationIsForInsects, what am I missing?

#208840 - 10/01/10 07:06 PM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: Dagny]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dagny
Behind every nincompoop kid are nincompoop parents.

I cannot overstate how much I agree with this.

#208846 - 10/01/10 08:33 PM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: MartinFocazio]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
In another (fake) news report I just wrote:

Fairfax, VA -
Area man Jim Johnson, 66, asks his grandson, John, age 11, to help him add a contact to his cell phone. In addition, Jim is unable to upload a video to YouTube and, despite hours of trying, his son Jack Johnson, 44, has given up trying to explain to his father how to use Skype.

"It's a shame he can't really manage to use Skype, because we'd love to do video calls with him so he can see his grandkids. He just can't seem to understand how to use it" said Jack.

"I gave pappy my iPod Touch, he didn't even know what do do with it!" said John.

Indeed, many of the technological innovations of today are simply lost on the grandparents of today. While their kids are blogging and texting and making well-edited home made videos of their kids and their grand kids are living in a state of constant awareness and continual information flow, today's grandparents simply haven't grown older - they have remained firmly stuck in a mental model of communications and technology that was passive and consumption based, not participatory and collaborative. It's not just about being unable to work the digital camera - it's not being able to conceptualize the basic workings of technology....

(I just made that up, but it kind of reminds me of this:

http://www.satirewire.com/features/siliconpines/acf.shtml

#208847 - 10/01/10 08:34 PM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: MartinFocazio]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I don't have kids. However, I was a Sergeant in the Army for a while and acted in loco parentis for more than one troop.

18 y/os who:

Couldn't balance a checkbook. Didn't understand what an overdraft was, or know the bank charged them for using the ATM if it wasn't their bank.
Had no clue how to get car insurance or even register a car.
Had never applied for a job, never mind a loan.
Had no clue what it took to get married, nor clue one where the courthouse was.
Couldn't cook a simple meal (females included).
Had no clue how to do laundry, or iron.
No basic tool skills at all.
ONe young lady in particular - "I've never mowed a lawn, we had gardeners do it" "Cool, consider yourself a gardener today, now mow"

I consider those all basic life skills. I won't even get into what I considered basic field skills. Good thing we'd gone to MREs which are tear open, some of those kids couldn't have worked a P38 if they had too.

And btw, although I'm not an X gen, I can build a PC, lol.

Edited by JBMat (10/01/10 08:35 PM)
Edit Reason: can't spell

#208848 - 10/01/10 08:55 PM Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long gone are the days when school was like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1DtY42xEOI

Check out all the Joe90's... laugh

I doubt that there are many 14 year olds today who were trained like myself to field strip and reassemble a Bren Light Machine Gun whilst blind folded in less than 2 minutes; probably because there isn't much call for it today. The cold war is over.

Quote:
Teens and preteens befuddled by can openers and ice-cube trays.

I suspect the same teenagers could probably setup their parents email clients or facebook page (whatever that is) for them though.

And there still are some teenagers who can handle themselves out in the wilds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd8pCpNUIiU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydNMl6jmgtw

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.