The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#208757 - 09/30/10 07:39 PM Re: Where's Doug Been [Re: NightHiker]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
It's not always about equipment either. So what if Doug hasn't reviewed the latest wiz bang gizmo? 99% of survival has to do with the stuff between the ears.

That's my point: focus the site on the timeless elements plus the community factor provided by the forums, not the technology. The forums also provide a way to keep up with current events & fresh info. It really is valuable to see what's going on with PLBs and such.

I'm not talking about the particular file structure or graphic appearance of the site (though I realize that affects internal links). Do we really need reviews on kits from companies that don't exist anymore, Leatherman overviews last updated in 1999, or LED flashlight info that's 10 or more generations out of date?

Please don't take this as raggin' on Doug. Nobody appreciates his work more than I do. But if you can't keep up with the data, why is it a good thing to maintain a vast archive of outmoded information? If the answer is "well a newbie could Google for the latest info if he sees something outdated at ETS", then... why have gear info at ETS at all?

I think the site should be trimmed down regarding specifics on gear. For example make general points about the value of LED lights in the context of survival but point people to CandlePowerForums for specifics on the technology and current market offerings. That site is loaded with subject matter experts and you'd be hard-pressed to do a better job at keeping up with flashlight info than they do.

If ETS chooses to let the fruit die on the vine that's fine, of course; it's their site and their money. I just felt these things should be pointed out.

#208758 - 09/30/10 07:51 PM Re: Where's Doug Been [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Glock-A-Roo, I think the rule here is that if you make a suggestion like that, you've just volunteered to do all the work to make it happen.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#208759 - 09/30/10 07:54 PM Re: Where's Doug Been [Re: thseng]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: thseng
Glock-A-Roo, I think the rule here is that if you make a suggestion like that, you've just volunteered to do all the work to make it happen.

Great! Give me admin rights and I'll go to town on it. Blast...?

#208761 - 09/30/10 08:41 PM Re: Where's Doug Been [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Originally Posted By: thseng

Great! Give me admin rights and I'll go to town on it. Blast...?

That's up to Doug and HTMLSpinner. I'm just the bouncer.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#208764 - 09/30/10 09:11 PM Re: Where's Doug Been [Re: Blast]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Yeah, that was mostly tongue-in-cheek since every revision would have to be preceded by a judgment from Doug. smile

#208776 - 09/30/10 11:18 PM Re: Where's Doug Been [Re: Alan_Romania]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
So what knife does Doug carry in his constant travels? smile

He's said that he alternates between a Mk.1 and a Sebenza. I'm guessing he checks bags a lot.

Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania
If you want to see what Doug has been spending a majority of his time on, head over to www.kniferights.org.

On the knife question; when I have traveled with him he has never had one knife with him. Usually he has more then a couple... last time I know he had an Mk1, Mk4 and a Leatherman.

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable checking $500+ worth of knives that often, or at all, with the baggage handler/TSA pilfering and all. sick

#208792 - 10/01/10 04:23 AM Re: Where's Doug Been [Re: T_Co]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Been a wee bit busy. Knife Rights and the NYC situation has been taking a significant share of my time. If anyone has a spare $1,000,000 in their pocket, I'd have a whole lot more time available. <~>

Fact is the concerns about ETS site are valid and a concern for me. AAMOF, I and a ETS Board member were just discussing these issues this morning. We have some ideas, and some rough ideas for solutions (including switching ETS to a modern open source content management system), but a lot hinges on developing some new funding streams to support and supplement me and my efforts and we have some ideas there as well. None of this will get solved quickly, but we are looking to address these issues in the next year or so, hopefully.

Fact is, between Knife Rights, which has exploded, my participation on various standard setting committees where I am the sole representative of the end user, you, to develop better standards for survival gear that will save lives (in large part because I have showed that what's there doesn't work like it should, trying to sort out my business such as it is in order to keep a roof over our head since, as many here know, Sue can no longer work and is on disability, and taking care of Sue (who obviously has some serious chronic health issues), I am stretched rather thin. Did I mention that business sucks because of this recession that some pinhead said is over?

But, we are aware of the issues and I want to find a solution. Unfortunately, any real solution starts with money. That's the harsh reality.

Now, back to your usual programming....
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (7point82), 595 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.