The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#208690 - 09/29/10 07:57 PM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
To show you what I'm trying to do I took some pictures. I thought I'd toss one of all my Maxpedition stuff in there, too.

Just for kicks, here's a "Maxpedition family picture": Back row- F.I.G.H.T. Medical pouch, Kodiak Gearslinger. Front row- Individual 1st Aid Pouch, M-2 Waistpack, 2 bain maries, 40 oz SS Simply Green Bottle, 12 x 5 Water Bottle Pouch, 1 L Chinook SS bottle.

Bottle holder, 2 bottles & bain marie:

The two bain maries I have on hand:

The bottle holder, bottle & a double Sistema waterproof case (case fits in the front pouch, at least w/o the bottle)

The bottle holder with the 40 oz black SS bottle & bain marie I want to use, if I can get 'em to fit:

I'm deliberating on carefully removing the insulation. I just got the black stainless bottle today, and it's really nice. It's pretty large, and fits the bag a little snugger. It also fills the bain marie a bit better with less rattle. Darn, should've take a picture of the new bottle in the bain marie. Maybe later. It would be sweet to get the bottle to nest in the pot and get it to fit the bag, but I could still boil in just the bottle and keep the pot for a larger kit. I'll have to mull that over a bit more.

One cool thing is that with the bottle in the bottle compartment, the front pouch will hold a Coleman poncho, a space blanket and my Ritter-designed Adventure Medical Kit's Pocket Survival Pak, with a bit of room to spare. grin

At any rate, any comments or suggestions on how to outfit this bag for EDC/survival are welcome.

#208693 - 09/29/10 08:14 PM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Just remembered one more thing- I found a cool collapsible silicone funnel on eBay that looks to be perfect for this rig. My plan is to place the pot lid in the bottom of the bag with the pot on top; I'll put the silicone funnel in the bottom of the pot with the water bottle on top of it inside the pot. A couple zip-locks with coffee filters around the bottle should keep it from rattling and give you a very nice sediment filter.

#208707 - 09/29/10 11:36 PM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Might as well throw in a small alcohol stove and some kind of windscreen. You will have plenty of room once you pull out the insulation. It is a very easy task.

#208709 - 09/29/10 11:46 PM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Might as well throw in a small alcohol stove and some kind of windscreen. You will have plenty of room once you pull out the insulation. It is a very easy task.

Where do you start? Do you carefully start cutting the inside or do you use a seam ripper? I'm definitely domestically-challenged where sewing is concerned. blush

#208718 - 09/30/10 01:43 AM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I did a little of both, although I believe all that is needed in the way of a tool is a SAK Classic. Just avoid any seams that are involved in the construction of the outer shell. I was able to salvage fairly large pieces of the interior nylon fabric. Pack rat that I am, I am sure they will come in handy for something.

#208719 - 09/30/10 01:49 AM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Woot! I finally got it stuffed in there! Many thanks to Hikermor! Cutting the insulation out wasn't too tough once I got started. There are still some scraps at the bottom that I couldn't easily get at. Ultimately I figured it was better to leave it a little ragged than to accidently cut thru the side of the bag with a razor. The lid fits in the bottom and the 1.5 qt bain marie fits over the top, but just barely. It's very snug. If I get a pot that's 1/8" to 1/4" narrower it would probably be a bit easier to use. Eventually I probably will. The 40oz bottle doesn't rattle much. If I stick a bandana or a few coffee filters around it there should be no rattle at all.

Having such a large pot eats into the space in the front pouch, but I managed to get my AMK PSP in there, along with a poncho and a space blanket. I took the tinfoil out of the PSP to help fit it in there. Since its' main purpose is to boil water I really don't need it- I have a 1.5 qt pot and a 40oz bottle for that. grin

The guy I bought it from included a pair of MALICE Clips. I could use those to mount my Maxpedition M-2 pack to it for a 1st aid kit or extra gear. Maybe I'll even get the slighly larger M-1. On the other side I'll probably weave some paracord thru the PALs webbing to keep some extra cordage handy. A bit of first aid stuff and maybe an Altoids tin sized fire kit would make this a pretty potent EDC Survival kit. Obviously I wouldn't choose to spend a week in the bush with nothing else, but since I always have water on a hike this would insure I have at least that minimum amount of gear.

I expect I'll probably tweak it here and there but overall I think the kit's a winner. I'll get some pics of the finished product when I get a chance. grin

#208733 - 09/30/10 01:58 PM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: Phaedrus]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
The containers you are talking of can be easily modified.Peen the rim down with a ball peen hammer and a round spot on a vice.Do this slow and gently and turn the rim into a wide rolled rim....

BOATMAN
John

#208740 - 09/30/10 03:34 PM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: boatman]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks. Right now I don't actually have a vice. As cheap as the pots are I'm not sure it's worth the trouble (for me, that is). It's usable as is, and I really think going down to the 1/4 qt smaller size will probably do the trick. The ever so slightly smaller wall diameter should create a bit snugger fit for the bottle, too.

Of course, I'll keep your suggestion in mind if I do end up just modding the one I have.

#209066 - 10/05/10 07:19 AM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Just in case you're not all sick of my thread, I just made one addition! grin I got a collapsible silicone funnel. Tomorrow I'll get some coffee filters. That should round out my kit nicely, although I've still got some modding to do.

#209506 - 10/11/10 09:01 PM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: Phaedrus]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I repeatedly misspelled that! I mean "bain marie." It's basically "water bath" aka a steam table. I think SS is better than aluminum. It wears better, stuff sticks less and aluminum has been linked to Alzheimers. What I like about the bain marie pots are that they're stovepipe shaped, tall and skinny. For general cooking that's maybe not ideal but I want something that will encase a Nalgene sized bottle, and hopefully fit in a water bottle pouch.

I'm thinking of a high end Billy Can, not a full on cook set.

If your going to make accusations PLEASE don't just parrot the press. There is NO relationship between Aluminium and Alzheimers disease. See Cassert and Doule Toxicology Book. The press are idiot and we need to learn not to listen to them.
cheers

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.