Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#208612 - 09/27/10 02:22 AM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: DaveT]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: DaveT
Nice find Phaedrus - so to be clear, the 1.5-qt version will hold a 1-liter Nalgene bottle?

Nice to know

Dave

The 1.5 qt is somewhere between 4.5" and 5" in diameter (I'll see when it shows up). A 1 liter Nalgene is about 3.5" in diameter. The bain marie will be at least an inch larger in diameter, I think. A tighter fit would be nice, at least if you want to nest them like you would the 18 oz canteen-cup-style cup that many people use. The more I think about it a 1.25 qt bain marie pot would be a tighter fit. I'll probably pick on of them up, too- they're inexpensive enough.

BTW, I also scored a Maxpedition 12 x 5 water bottle holder for $30 shipped off eBay. If my measurements are pretty close, the bain marie pot should fit inside this bag with this 40 oz stainless steel bottle inside of it. The cool thing about the Maxpedition pack is that it has a 7” x 4” x 1.5” compartment on the front and molle webbing all around. I should be able to put my Ritter/AMK PSP in the front pouch along with a HeatSheets blanket and extra fire kit. My Mora Tri-flex should attach nicely to the molle points. I'll add a shoulder strap and have myself a nice little EDC survival kit. cool

#208629 - 09/27/10 01:35 PM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: Phaedrus]
6pac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: N.E. Alabama
Hello Everybody,

Long time lurking... first time posting. I have been using this for a long time. It holds approximately 24oz and I carry my stove, windscreen, stand, fuel, coffee filters and a pot scrubber all inside. It's stainless steel and the lid fits very tight. I found that if you place a coffee filter over the top of the cup and then press the lid down, it holds the filter in place for straining sediment out. When the sediment is out you just boil to kill the cooties.

#208635 - 09/27/10 10:52 PM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Indeed you will have a nice EDC survival kit. I have done somewhat the same thing with the Maxped 10x4 bottle holder, after modifying it by ripping out all the padding and trimming off unnecessary material. It nicely holds a nested Snow Peak 700 pot and lid, water bottle (either nalgene, gatorade or one liter platypus), windscreen, plus a Trangia alcohol stove, fuel bottles, lighter, and tea bags. I call it my NCOT (Nice Cup Of Tea/ kit. Compact and self contained.

#208637 - 09/27/10 11:06 PM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Indeed you will have a nice EDC survival kit. I have done somewhat the same thing with the Maxped 10x4 bottle holder, after modifying it by ripping out all the padding and trimming off unnecessary material. It nicely holds a nested Snow Peak 700 pot and lid, water bottle (either nalgene, gatorade or one liter platypus), windscreen, plus a Trangia alcohol stove, fuel bottles, lighter, and tea bags. I call it my NCOT (Nice Cup Of Tea/ kit. Compact and self contained.

That sounds like pretty much what I want to do. My bain marie pot showed up today, btw. It's very nice, pretty heavy duty- much moreso, in fact, than I'd anticipated. My feeling is that it will really last and take some abuse. It's a wee bit bigger than I'd hoped, but not overly so. The pot is 6" tall with the lid on. It's just a smidge over 4" wide thru the body but the flared top is nearly 5" wide, as is the lid. We'll see if it fits in the Maxpedition bottle bag. If not it's no big deal as I aleady plan to pick up the slightly skinnier 1.25 qt bain marie pot by Polarware. If nothing else I've got dozens of uses for this pot.

Soon I'll have to start the modding of it. I'd like to add a bail/handle, and I'll have to think about how to go about it. I could drill the lip and rework the lid, or I could make a wire loop that would encircle the body yet be smaller than the lip. The latter idea would be much simpler but probably not as permanent.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance to take a few.

#208638 - 09/28/10 12:40 AM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: 6pac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: 6pac
Hello Everybody,

Long time lurking... first time posting. I have been using this for a long time. It holds approximately 24oz and I carry my stove, windscreen, stand, fuel, coffee filters and a pot scrubber all inside. It's stainless steel and the lid fits very tight. I found that if you place a coffee filter over the top of the cup and then press the lid down, it holds the filter in place for straining sediment out. When the sediment is out you just boil to kill the cooties.

Looks like a nice rig. Welcome to ETS! grin

#208642 - 09/28/10 04:23 AM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: Phaedrus]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hey Phaedrus,Your last post said"Welcome to ST",I'm curious,What is "ST"?

#208645 - 09/28/10 05:36 AM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ooops, sorry. Meant to say ETS! I'll fix it.

#208656 - 09/28/10 06:20 PM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: Richlacal]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Hey Phaedrus,Your last post said"Welcome to ST",I'm curious,What is "ST"?

Are you serious?

#208658 - 09/28/10 06:27 PM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: T_Co]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm rummaging around my shop trying to find a carbide tipped metal drilling bit...I remember buying it a couple months ago, just have to find it. The heavy duty pot I have will likely require more than a cheapie bit.

A couple hours ago I stopped by both local restaurant supply houses. Neither had the 1.25 qt Vollrath or Polarware bain marie inserts I was looking for, but I did find a slightly tapered stainless insert that's probably about 1-1.25 qt. It doesn't have a lid but is slimmer than the 1.5 qt that I already had. I might end up getting the one I really want online but I plan to wait til I get the Maxpedition pouch (if the one I have fits well enough I won't bother).

#208683 - 09/29/10 05:06 PM Re: Perfect Billy-Can? [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I got the Maxpedition bottle holder today. It's a cool bag but this isn't going to be a completely "off the shelf" rig. The 1.5 qt bain marie I have is just a smidge to big to fit. The lid, which is the largest diameter item, will fit and I can get it all the way down to the bottom of the bag, but the lip of the pot prevents it from going all the way in. So I'm left contemplating what to do about it.

My first idea is to use a different pot. The 1.25 qt is a bit thinner and very well might fit fine. Although if it was made to fit the same opening as the 1.5 then the lip will probably be about the same size. I forgot to mention that I also bought a smaller one that's tapered a bit- it fits tightly in the bag. Unfortunately, they didn't have a lid for the second one. So I could use it just fine, just wouldn't have a lid. And I was really wanting a lid to keep ashes out if you boil right in the fire and to keep the heat in to boil faster.

The second idea I had is to mod the pot by cutting the rim/lip off. The pot would fit very well in the bag then. Of course, then the lid wouldn't fit tightly or I'd have to do without it.

Perhaps the best idea came from this very thread, from hikermor! He mentioned taking all the insulation out of his Maxpedition 10 x 4 bottle holder, creating a lot more room. The Maxpedition bottle carriers have pretty thick insulation, but to me it's unnecessary- it's not going to keep a bottle cold for very long, certainly not overnight, nor would I care if it did. I'm pretty sure my 1.5 would drop right down to the bottom under it's own weight without all that insulation. The downside is I'm not very comfortable with sewing. In fact, a couple days ago I bought a needle and a spool of thread to fix a seam on a pair of old sweats just to see how to do it because never in my life have I ever used a needle and thread!eek Still, taking out has to be easier than stitching it in, right? smirk grin

One last issue- the more I put in the bottle section the less I can cram in the pocket. If I wasn't married to the whole bain marie pot thing I could get a lot of gear in that front pouch.

Decisions, decisions! grin

BTW, hikermor- how did you go about removing the padding/insulation? I could sure use some advice and guidance!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.