Page 7 of 18 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
#189038 - 11/24/09 01:18 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: Basecamp]
sak45acp Offline
Stranger

Loc: ct
Originally Posted By: Basecamp
Originally Posted By: sak45acp
An idea I found and plan on stealing from another site is to use the heavy aluminum disposable baking pans for your kit. The heavy duty pans do not spring leaks even after several foldings (so I've read)and they fold very compactly. ...

sak, could this be what you are refering to?
Dirttime Forum

Remember to make the mod of folding the bottom up twice. This isn't meant to be a heavy duty kit, but one of minimum storage space. Don't tweak the folds when you open it up, and press folds between fingers to re-flatten after use and before storage. I have boiled water in it, and opened it up and flattened it without leaks.

...& it was freely given, so no thievery is involved... grin

That wasn't what I was referring to, but I'm going to steal that, too wink I saw the baking pan thing on the Be Prepared to Survive site.

#189041 - 11/24/09 01:19 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: ]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Read the one by John. Goes into detail about it. Saw a very similar thread around here about it as well.

Here is a video where they show you how to make a baking can. If you modified the dimensions you could probably make a cup. look around there he also shows how to make cakes in the.

Not affiliated with there site, no endorsements.

#189043 - 11/24/09 01:25 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: ]
fooman Offline
Journeyman

I'm using the GI 'Artic' canteen cup as part of a kit.

The cup is upper centre.

The cup fits nicely into the bottom of the pouch

The pouch is a Radio pouch of the AIRSAV aircrew survival vest.

#189056 - 11/24/09 02:59 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: MostlyHarmless]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
The trouble with pots is they won't be there when you don't bring your full gear.

I approach it from another direction- how far can you strip your gear and NOT have a pot or reasonable facsimile to boil water in. I do not mean folded up and soon to be leaking aluminum foil anything.

This is the reason I like the space saver cups and canteen cups- if you a water bottle or canteen, you should have a cup. Given how well they fit in most of the carriers, there isn't much excuse to not have one. As I've said, you can tuck a coffee can into any place you can put a space saver cup, so money isn't a very good excuse. If you are utterly wedded to carrier that is so tight it can't hold the cup, then switch to a metal bottle on the same form factor, like the Goyets, which fit anything that will hold a Nalgene, no mater how tight.

The only reason to NOT have a pot or cup or a metal water bottle (I find the Goyet's superior in fit and function to the Kleen Kanteen, IMHO) is if circumstances leave you with only what was in a secured pocket or dog leashed to your person, such as mightbe the case if you are crossing a river and a current grabbed you and now that you are out of the river all you can do is wave bye-bye to your pack as it goes down river.

Alternatively, you can use a box like you said. The old French mess tin, with the middle piece removed, is a big PSK, but it will fit in a jacket pocket or into the pocket of most hydro packs. Slipped into a spare watch cap and a pair of gallon freezer bags, it is a good fit in a 6x3x7 pouch. There are also rigid mini loaf pans the size of the foil ones that won't leak and tear. Shouldn't be too hard to make a lid out of flashing or heavy foil, and slip that into a jacket pocket or into a belt pouch.

But if what you are thinking is more heavy duty altoids-sized tin, why bother? It isn't enough water to stress on honestly. I'd rather have chlorine tabs and a turkey roasting bag than to boil water less than a quarter cup at a time.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#189060 - 11/24/09 03:18 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: ]
fooman Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Fooman further reminded me I need to build a new larger PSK since I tore apart my old one to (The Ritter PSP contents, at least) to make a new EDC Survival Tin.

Damn yooous....now my Christmas list gets longer.

That's what we're all here for. Hahah.

#189062 - 11/24/09 03:22 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: fooman]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Nice Kit Fooman, Thanks for posting it.

Mike

#189075 - 11/24/09 07:34 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: fooman]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: fooman
I'm using the GI 'Artic' canteen cup as part of a kit.

That cup seems (almost) just the right shape and size - and I REALLY like your kit! smile

I'm assuming that AMK bag is some bivy bag or similar - what kind and what size?

Edited by MostlyHarmless (11/24/09 07:36 AM)

#189081 - 11/24/09 01:19 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: ironraven]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: ironraven
The trouble with pots is they won't be there when you don't bring your full gear.

I approach it from another direction- how far can you strip your gear and NOT have a pot or reasonable facsimile to boil water in. I do not mean folded up and soon to be leaking aluminum foil anything. (snip...)

The only reason to NOT have a pot or cup or a metal water bottle (I find the Goyet's superior in fit and function to the Kleen Kanteen, IMHO) is if circumstances leave you with only what was in a secured pocket or dog leashed to your person. (snip... )

But if what you are thinking is more heavy duty altoids-sized tin, why bother? It isn't enough water to stress on honestly. I'd rather have chlorine tabs and a turkey roasting bag than to boil water less than a quarter cup at a time.

Lots of very good points. If I have my pack I have a pot, simple as that. I'm looking for something small enough to be included in a pocket survival kit, yet big enough to be of practical use. Those altoids tin seems awful small for the job...

The "Arctic GI cup" shown above looks perfect for inclusion in a bag kit, but still a tad big for pocket carry. So is the cups around 2 inch diameter: Perfect for most bags, slightly uncomfortable in the pocket.

I think the best bet so far would be to cut the top of a 10 oz (2.3dl) or bigger oval or kidney shaped hip flask. Cut off the top, add two holes for suspension and of course you stuff it with PSK items. Small enough to be comfortable in your pocket, big enough to be useful (just below your quart pint limit) and with a shape that goes well with suspension from a string or wire. I'll do an asymmetric cut so the opening is slightly lower on one side, this makes filling with snow easier.

Anyone who knows about where to get stainless steel hip flasks bigger than 10 oz?

#189088 - 11/24/09 02:26 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: MostlyHarmless]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska

I think the best bet so far would be to cut the top of a 10 oz (2.3dl) or bigger oval or kidney shaped hip flask.

Are you going to be staying by your water source or have one available for the duration of your stay? That does not seem like enough especially if you would be exerting yourself.

#189115 - 11/24/09 07:17 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -

I think the best bet so far would be to cut the top of a 10 oz (2.3dl) or bigger oval or kidney shaped hip flask. Cut off the top, add two holes for suspension and of course you stuff it with PSK items. Small enough to be comfortable in your pocket, big enough to be useful (just below your quart pint limit) and with a shape that goes well with suspension from a string or wire. I'll do an asymmetric cut so the opening is slightly lower on one side, this makes filling with snow easier.

That's my idea exactly.

• Brown - the hip flask split at the top.
  • Green - steel band collar, welded or glued to the bottom part (increasing volume and mouth opening a bit), with suspension wire holes, and some means of lid tightening (not shown).
  • Blue - gasket glued to the top part (allows to use it as a watertight flask again).

I have 8 oz flask. It's almost 1 cup. But you can find similar one for 12 oz (just google 12 oz hip flask).

Page 7 of 18 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.