Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
#188484 - 11/17/09 03:41 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: T_Co]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Whil it isn't a pot, I miss the old GI styled mess kits that were ovel with one big fry pan and a bi-sected eating section, the handle fliped over and snaped shut.

When I did Trail Crew in Maine i used that for my lunch and it was just amazing.. then I lost it.. as is the way of life.

Eric

#188488 - 11/17/09 05:09 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: Tyber]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Tyber
Whil it isn't a pot, I miss the old GI styled mess kits that were ovel with one big fry pan and a bi-sected eating section, the handle fliped over and snaped shut.

When I did Trail Crew in Maine i used that for my lunch and it was just amazing.. then I lost it.. as is the way of life.

Eric

Like THIS ?

#188503 - 11/17/09 10:49 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: Tyber]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA

Eric

I still carry the US Army Issue Mess Kit, 2 canteen cups, and a Swedish Trangia Mess Kit/Stove in my BoB/Camping gear.

#188508 - 11/18/09 12:56 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: Tyber]
LED Offline
Veteran

Eric

As a kid that was my first camp cookware, bought from the surplus store. I love the extra large untensils. Still use 'em to this day.

#188516 - 11/18/09 04:43 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: LED]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Wow. I still have my GI mess tin in my extra gear box. Not quite right for my current style of hiking/outdoor adventures, but I may toss that in my trunk.

I have been going back and forth for a year or two on the Ti cup. i have a Brunton tea kettle and pack my White Box Stove in it. For a cup I carry REI insulated cup / french press with this you can press your coffee and drink from the same mug. Haven't had much reason to get the Ti Cup with this set up...but its a titanium cup.

#188518 - 11/18/09 06:09 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: comms]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

this is where i'm at on the Swiss Canteen re-make.

first from the box of camping odds and ends i came up with this dented canteen.when you get in on a "six for" deal at least one will be a bit battered.i gave away two and two of the last three were in nice shape with the plastic tag and corks.the third i'll get around to in a second.

i cut the top of the dented one and found as reported the inside to be coated with a light brown plastic.not wanting to cook in that as i had no idea of what it really was i took a propane torch to it.to my surprise it did not burn right off! i held the torch on one spot for minutes with no effect.after awhile it burned away.i'll have to take a wire brush to it and clean away the last of it to get just the aluminum surface i want.the canteen is made of thicker metal than the cup and will make a better pot.i'll add holes for a wire bale that will be attached after the sections are pulled apart for use.
ok now about that dent.it was impossible to remove.the walls are so stiff and thick that i could not push out the dent with any tool i had handy including wood blocks that were shaped to fit.
to much pressure distorted the other side so the plan is to use
the second rate but undamaged set for this project.
as i work along and fill the kit i'll post more photos.

#188587 - 11/18/09 10:19 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: sak45acp]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: sak45acp
An idea I found and plan on stealing from another site is to use the heavy aluminum disposable baking pans for your kit. The heavy duty pans do not spring leaks even after several foldings (so I've read)and they fold very compactly. ...

sak, could this be what you are refering to?
Dirttime Forum

Remember to make the mod of folding the bottom up twice. This isn't meant to be a heavy duty kit, but one of minimum storage space. Don't tweak the folds when you open it up, and press folds between fingers to re-flatten after use and before storage. I have boiled water in it, and opened it up and flattened it without leaks.

...& it was freely given, so no thievery is involved... grin

#188593 - 11/18/09 11:50 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: Basecamp]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I still have a couple of the old Sierra cups. Thank you for reminding me to look for a couple more of them.

#188594 - 11/18/09 11:53 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

this is where i'm at on the Swiss Canteen re-make.

How did you cut it apart and how difficult was it to keep the cut at the correct angle?

#188599 - 11/19/09 12:10 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: scafool]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: scafool
I still have a couple of the old Sierra cups. Thank you for reminding me to look for a couple more of them.

REI still carries them.

Page 5 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.