The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#208175 - 09/17/10 12:55 AM Re: Which flashlight do you often use? [Re: raptor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Fenix L1T V2.0 is a good light -- simple, solid design.

#208177 - 09/17/10 01:09 AM Re: Which flashlight do you often use? [Re: Perfectful]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I've never used a Fenix light. I see they're popular and well reviewed. There are some pretty good Chinese lights out there but most of them are a complete unknown to me. Maybe I'll have to browse Candlepower forum for awhile and see which ones are considered to be good ones. DealExtreme has tons of different ones that look like good deals...if they're decent quality lights.

#208178 - 09/17/10 01:54 AM Re: Which flashlight do you often use? [Re: Perfectful]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Day to day, you'll mostly find a MagLED AA or a Chinese Cree "Lightmate" from Cotsco (2 for $15) on my belt. They're adequate for most things, and if I lose one in the tall grass it's not a big deal.

I have a Fenix L1T for "dress" occasions where I don't want a big, bulky 2AA light. It's okay, and I have the 2AA body for it also. But I have to confess that my experience with Fenix lights has been very mixed -- roughly a 50% failure/weird stuff rate. And I don't abuse my gear. So the L1T and L2D will be my last Fenix purchases.

I have several Streamlight LED lights that have proven to be very tough indeed. Not the brightest or fanciest, but when I hit the switch there's always light. That counts. I'm starting to reserve them for more critical moments.

The lights that have caught my eye recently are the 4sevens AA lights. I think I will have a couple of these very soon (1-AA and 2-AA).

But for serious work in dark places, my fleet of Princeton Tec headlamps have been just great. I have a Yukon XL (all LED), a Fuel which is being tested for my car/camp kit, and an Apex. The Apex is so bright that you almost forget there is no other light source; last winter I chainsawed up a bunch of dry logs with just the Apex, in otherwise pitch black darkness, and felt entirely comfortable with the 'situational awareness' it provided.

#208182 - 09/17/10 02:08 AM Re: Which flashlight do you often use? [Re: comms]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: comms
This is too funny. You can tell we are all flashlight freaks.

How true. But they are often incredibly useful in a wide variety of circumstances.

As a certified geezer, I am impressed with the wide variety of lights available at all different prices with dependability ranging from adequate to superb. It is a far cry from the junky light sources and leak-prone batteries of my youth.

I lurk on candlepower forums, and I love the incredible obsession there with lights. To me the most important thing about modern lights is that they light up when you press (or twist)the switch. Beam shape/artifacts/tint etc. are secondary. Let there be light!

#208183 - 09/17/10 02:19 AM Re: Which flashlight do you often use? [Re: dougwalkabout]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Fenix TK12 on left side work belt
Fenix LD20 in right side vest pocket
Petzl e-lite in right side vest pocket
Streamlight Stinger XT plugged into work truck
Maglight 3D in door pocket of work truck
Energizer Pistol-grip C-size LED light in tool box, work truck

Fenix LD01 in EDC Pouch
Many small LED's and MiniMags scattered throughout gear pockets and emergency/field/travel kits
Petzl Headlamps for hands-free use and Petzl e-lite in new small survival kit

I am in the process of buying a Streamlight Sidewinder, looks neat.

My name is Mike, and I have a problem with illumination.

#208184 - 09/17/10 02:21 AM Re: Which flashlight do you often use? [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: hikermor

As a certified geezer, I am impressed with the wide variety of lights available at all different prices with dependability ranging from adequate to superb. It is a far cry from the junky light sources and leak-prone batteries of my youth.

Haha! Funny but very true! When I was a kid, there were pretty much the "lanterns" that took the the big honkin' square batteries and the 2 D cell ones with a sliding switch...that and the green GI angle head one. And it seems like they all produced a feeble, sickly yellow splot of light! grin The first time I saw a Mag-Lite it seemed like the most advanced thing on the planet! And when I finally managed to purchase a couple I was as proud as a peacock.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I lurk on candlepower forums, and I love the incredible obsession there with lights. To me the most important thing about modern lights is that they light up when you press (or twist)the switch. Beam shape/artifacts/tint etc. are secondary. Let there be light!

Also very true. The lights of today are pretty amazing compared to what we had even 20 years ago. My new little Surefire backup can be concealed in the palm of my hand yet is orders of magnitude brighter than my 4 D cell Maglite was (for the brief time it actually worked). And computer technology has lead to amazing performance; the digital regulation of LED lights is very impressive, and the computer-aided design of the reflectors give amazing control over the beam, it's focus and light spill.

As much as I love my Pelican Recoil, it's a prett big flashlight, size-wise, compared to my Surefires and Streamlights. How I ever lived with a Mag-light I'll never know, those things are enormous!

#208185 - 09/17/10 02:57 AM Re: Which flashlight do you often use? [Re: Perfectful]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
+1 on the Fenix lights. I EDC a L2D & have a L1D body to switch the head to if I need a smaller light.

#208186 - 09/17/10 03:15 AM Re: Which flashlight do you often use? [Re: Perfectful]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I EDC a Fenix L2D (2 Years) on my belt and an ARC-AAA (4 Years) on my keychain. Both have been great lights thus far. Prior to the Fenix L2D I had a Pelican 2330 M6 LED which performed well, but burned through CR 123 A cells far to quickly for my liking though I had a charger for them.

#208191 - 09/17/10 05:40 AM Re: Which flashlight do you often use? [Re: Perfectful]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i use the older model Pal Light,that's the six volt battery in a rubber case with one LED and a good lens.small size and on a two week canoe trip i have never had to change the battery.it throws a good beam across a campsite and has a low setting and a flash.it also stays "always on" with a very dim light which makes it an easy find in a dark tent or crowded gear bag.i'm told the natural drain on the battery is used to make that LED glow.even left unused in the "off" setting with the glow working the battery is still good in the spring.the switch is worked thru the rubber case so it's somewhat water proof. a dog chewed--no joke--Pal is kept around the house to back up my seven C cell "raccoon light"

#208193 - 09/17/10 07:08 AM Re: Which flashlight do you often use? [Re: Perfectful]
Perfectful Offline
Stranger

wow,so many flashlight you have !
Surefire and Fenix flashlight are too expensive .
Are you interested in Chinese brand flashlight ?

Daniel

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 292 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.