Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#208034 - 09/15/10 03:02 PM Opportunity calendar challenge
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Creating an opportunity calendar proving a challenge. Would like to graphically represent things like ongoing fishing and hunting seasons with color bands that span the appropriate days. Shorter opportunity sessions as appropriate. Goal: easier visual scanning of opportunities for a given time period. I would prefer in an easy edit digital format.

Almost like project management???

Thoughts?

Thanks.

#208052 - 09/15/10 09:09 PM Re: Opportunity calendar challenge [Re: dweste]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Based on your short description, almost any online calendar service such as Yahoo Calendar , Google Calendar etc can do what you are looking to achieve. They all offer the ability to create and share/edit calendars, send reminder emails to specific people and so on.

John Lubbock

#208056 - 09/15/10 10:00 PM Re: Opportunity calendar challenge [Re: dweste]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Lots of spreadsheet type calendars available. search for spreadsheet calendars. Best if you pencil up a mock of what you want. Either post it here or PM it to me. I mess around with that sort of thing a lot and may have something. But there are so many variables I need to see what you have in mind.

Nomad.

#208075 - 09/16/10 02:06 AM Re: Opportunity calendar challenge [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

The key is ability to assign a colorbar to a given season, say Spring Turkey, and have it solid across the days of the season. Other seasons to have other distinct colorbars, also spanning solid across their days.

#208109 - 09/16/10 11:37 AM Re: Opportunity calendar challenge [Re: dweste]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Do you do you need to share the data with others on the net? Teslinhiker is correct about online calendars. Take a look and see if one of those will work for you. If not, I can do something.

How many horizontal lines (for each season) and how many days do you want to see on a page (more data = smaller print). Do you want to print the whole year on a single page, or would you print a sub-set of the year?

Are you comfortable with spreadsheets at least minimally?

Select a row of cells, press a function key. The selected cells would fill with a color and text.

Very easy to do, but need more detail before I build.

If no one else is interested in this, we should take the discussion off forum.

nomad

#208120 - 09/16/10 12:58 PM Re: Opportunity calendar challenge [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

I am very comfortable with spreadsheets but was hoping to find an application that would be ready to use rather tahn just supporting creation of the calendar. I do not need to share the calendar, though the ability to do so might be nice.

It would be preferable to go from day, week, month, qurter, and year formats. Unknown number of horizantal bands per day until after entering the data; my guess is up to 15 or so.

#208125 - 09/16/10 01:45 PM Re: Opportunity calendar challenge [Re: dweste]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There are planty of calendar apps out there. Sunbird/lightning (mozillia), rainlendar, etc.
If you already use an existing calendar program, you can always add another category to it then be able to show/hide it. For example I use google calendar now since it syncs with my phone and have my calendar with all my work/holiday/vacation days and anothr calendar for each of my kids showing their school days and days they are off school. This way I can look and coordinate vacation days around holidays or days the kids are off or plan larger project work around days where everyone has a full 5 day week. When/if I ever fo gat a hunting license again I'll just add that schedule as an additional in another color so I can coordinate as well.

#208176 - 09/17/10 12:58 AM Re: Opportunity calendar challenge [Re: dweste]
Nomad Offline
Addict

OK well hope you find something. Lots of stuff out there, it is just a matter of finding what you want.

Nomad

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.