Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
sbux via. hands down

#207588 - 09/09/10 03:28 PM Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? [Re: ame]
sotto Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: ame
Maxim coffee sticks from Korea:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Maxim-Mocha-Gold-Mild-100-sticks-Coffee-mix-Korea-/180490134792

Try your local Asian supermarket (there are Japanese, Thai and Singaporean equivalents of the 3-in-1 instant coffee packets). The stick form is the most convenient, as you can use the packet as a stirrer. Inside is a measure of instant coffee granules, creamer and sugar. You can grip the stick near the end to trap some or all of the sugar. Each stick makes a small cup (about 4oz), but you can adjust this to taste.

There are other brands here in Korea. Maxim is the best, and Taster's Choice is awful. Each brand seems to have three levels of quality. Red- low level (not entirely unpleasant). Yellow- medium (drinkable). Brown- high quality (noticeably better, but still instant). There is also green for decaf.

Very common and very popular over here, together with little paper cups to make it in.

A

Never tried the Starbucks instant coffee. Some of their coffee drinks I like. But, I can't go in the place without thinking of comedian Jackie Mason's bit on Starbucks: "They soive boint (translation: burnt) coffee in Starbucks! You can go down to the corner diner and get great coffee for a quarter. But you go in Starbucks and pay $3.50 for a cup of what? Boint coffee!!"

Also, I know Susan said "straight" coffee, but for those of you who might be interested, I found a gold mine of instant coffee for those who like Thai coffee (sweet, creamed, moderately strong coffee). It's the DeDe brand (made in Thailand) of "Instant Thai Coffee Drink". It's another example of the 3-in-1 stuff, but unlike a lot of it, this one doesn't list corn sweeteners as one of the ingredients--only sugar. It's delectable, even better with some hot half 'n half added. I can lift my pickup with my non-dominant hand after drinking a cup of it. The only place I've seen it, though, is at the Hawaiian Grocery in "new" China town in Alhambra east of Los Angeles. FYI, they also make DeDe Instant Thai iced tea drink that's phenomenal. The secret to that is to mix it up in a half cup of very hot water, then fill the cup the rest of the way with ice. Deeeeelectable, and so convenient, too!

#207592 - 09/09/10 04:09 PM Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? [Re: Susan]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like the Melangeris Colombia Blend. Its pretty expensive though from the local discount store, costing $2.30 (£1.49) for 18 Coffee pods (bags) i.e $0.13 per pod.

Real brewed coffee, not the instant or as Starbucks would say 'soluble' with their Via instant brand coffee tastes much better. Apparently soluble coffee is 5-10 times the price of other instant brands and is really no better than British Army Coffee in their latest Multiclimate Ration Packs with their Kenco smooth roast instant sachets at $0.11 per sachet compared to the Starbucks Via at $0.58 per sachet.

#207604 - 09/09/10 09:23 PM Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
LED Offline
Veteran

I've experimented with making my own coffee pods using large tea bags and fresh ground coffee. No matter what grind I use the infusion takes too long and the oils don't make it out of the bag. Then again, I use a french press so everything else tastes like brown water anyway. As I understand it, Via has 1/2 ground coffee 1/2 instant, so you get some direct mixing of grounds/water. Trust me, I'm no fan of instant coffee. Even starbucks Via is a barely tolerable replacement.

#207605 - 09/09/10 10:12 PM Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? [Re: Susan]
NAro Offline
Addict

Susan, that's very nice of you. I absolutely agree with many of the votes for Starbucks Via. Even if it is the most costly. With Tasters Choice or Folgers singles, I really have to use 2 to get any flavor. FWIW, the Starbucks is by far more compact, too.

#207611 - 09/09/10 11:50 PM Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? [Re: Susan]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
Although I do not recomend this, I am going to say... Military Espresso!! It is simple, 1 pack of Via, 1 pack of creamer, and 1 pack of sugar! open all 3 packets, pour in mouth, and wash it down with hot water! I never tried it because it sounds Gross! but +1 on the Via!

#207613 - 09/10/10 12:04 AM Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? [Re: Susan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Individual serving, that would be 3/4 cup of generic coffee, double that for night shift widening, and two quarts of water. Drip is okay, but to get the most umph use a percolator, electric or stove-top, and run it for north of twenty minutes to get the most lift. Serve black and hot, by the quart.

#207637 - 09/10/10 03:04 AM Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Military style also included cutting a strip from your Israeli bandage,& Rolling it full of Instant coffee&used coffee grounds that were saved/salvaged,tied up with thread,& pushed into your 1/2 full canteen with some thread hanging out,cap back on,& Shake the daylights out of it,Voila!You then had something other than boring water,to drink!I recall a few guy's adding Snuff to their concoction,to give it a Kick!

#207677 - 09/10/10 03:36 PM Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Best for me? Definitely not cheapest. . . First I looked around and found the Snow Peak Ti French Press, that's what I will use as a container for the truck coffee kit. Next I will pick up some non-ground coffee beans. Next I will need a decent hand grinder that can do a consistent coarse grind. . . any suggestions? Grind them too soon and they oxidize, and then the flavor is flat. . . Does smashing beans get a consistent grind? Either than or I use a knife and just cut them. . . too slow. A 12 volt grinder would be great. . .

#207689 - 09/10/10 06:00 PM Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? [Re: Russ]
LED Offline
Veteran

I have a hand grinder from REI purchsed years ago and the grind is inconsistent and too fine for a press. Tried smashing beans with a mortar and pestle set ($10 IKEA) and that seemed to work much better for emergency home use. Although not as efficent you could always use an inverter. My Braun grinder says 150W which the inverter should be able to handle for short periods.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.