Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#208040 - 09/15/10 04:16 PM Re: $5 PSK [Re: dougwalkabout]
ajax Offline

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Regarding the dealextreme compasses: read the user reviews. Not good.

For $2.60 I wouldn't expect much.
This is more an exercise than a true survival kit.
Having a compass should always be coupled with direction-finding without one.

#208043 - 09/15/10 06:35 PM Re: $5 PSK [Re: Boghog1]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I had my students make a sun compass as part of a land navigation lab... and had to make accomodations as teenagers typically didn't wear a watch, and those that did, it was invariably a digital watch not analog. I had them use a drawing compass so they would get a good pivot point, and make the radius as large as possible (3x5 card)...protractor to get good 3,6,9,12 quadrants and try to make good "dot" marks at 15,30,45 minute tics between hours... since we are north of the Tropic of Cancer, the sun is always behind us facing north, so have them hold a thin stick/straw/twig on edge of circle, rotate card so shadow falls across the center pivot point and across the analog hour hand location coinciding to the time from their cell phone or digital watch (to nearest 15min)...north is 1/2 way between the shadow line and 12 o'clock...you might print up a good copy, and attach it to a mirror back with clear packing tape....have them practice/compare with an orienteering compass...

#208044 - 09/15/10 06:59 PM Re: $5 PSK [Re: MDinana]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Maybe a dumb question, but if they're so fiscally challenged, how do they expect to get much outdoor time? I mean, at the very least a school backpack and water bottle is needed for a dayhike.

That's exactly why leaders like us have to be resourceful. Scouts is for the kids. Some can't afford it but no kid is at fault for that. Our group has a healthy bank account but we've been established for over twenty years and our leaders are very committed, but not all groups are so fortunate. We've got lots of high risk kids in our area and we try to make it work for them if their parents can just commit to bringing them out. Heck, we'll even pick them up and chaufer them!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#208045 - 09/15/10 07:05 PM Re: $5 PSK [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
That's exactly why leaders like us have to be resourceful. Scouts is for the kids. Some can't afford it but no kid is at fault for that. Our group has a healthy bank account but we've been established for over twenty years and our leaders are very committed, but not all groups are so fortunate. We've got lots of high risk kids in our area and we try to make it work for them if their parents can just commit to bringing them out. Heck, we'll even pick them up and chaufer them!

One of the Brownie moms in the troop my wife leads called to drop her daughter out of the troop for financial reasons. At my urging, Mom was told that there was grant money to pay for her membership, vest and patches. That "grant money" came out of my wallet.

Once her mom got back to work the "grant money" was used up.

#208047 - 09/15/10 07:49 PM Re: $5 PSK [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

One of the Brownie moms in the troop my wife leads called to drop her daughter out of the troop for financial reasons. At my urging, Mom was told that there was grant money to pay for her membership, vest and patches. That "grant money" came out of my wallet.

Once her mom got back to work the "grant money" was used up.

Now THAT's inspiring, chaos!! Way to go!!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#208154 - 09/16/10 08:09 PM Re: $5 PSK [Re: Boghog1]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I was going to suggest an inexpensive provodine-iodine swab as multi use addition to the kit, but primarily a water treatment option... katadyn ClO2 are a little pricey for the troop's budget...but doing a search,the recommendations for dilution run from 2 to 8 drops per liter of water....does anyone have any other or more up to date numbers?...

you might repackage some Aquapure/Potable Aqua tabs...couple of tufts of cotton,small straw, RTV silicone end plugs

#208156 - 09/16/10 08:19 PM Re: $5 PSK [Re: Boghog1]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
4 drops of regular chlorine bleach per each liter of water will kill the nasties.

Chlorox lists a 800 phone number on their labeling and it will provide you with straight answers to your water purification questions.

I have no affiliation with whoever makes Chlorox Bleach.

#208166 - 09/16/10 10:00 PM Re: $5 PSK [Re: Boghog1]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Regular chlorine bleach doesn't kill everything does it? I thought you needed chlorine dioxide for that. It seems like bacteria are pretty much killed but that some cysts are not?

#208368 - 09/20/10 06:19 PM Re: $5 PSK [Re: Boghog1]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
You could stop by any place you know of that still develops actual rolls of film and ask if you can have some containers. This could be useful for your PJCB and storage of other mini items.

For a decent cheapo knife you might try the Wahoo Killer I read about somewhere. $1.99 for a mora-like knife isn't bad.

#208381 - 09/20/10 11:23 PM Re: $5 PSK [Re: T_Co]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: T_Co

For a decent cheapo knife you might try the Wahoo Killer I read about somewhere. $1.99 for a mora-like knife isn't bad.

That is a shockingly good knife for $2! My dad gave me one of 'em. He got it as a goof, but liked it so much that he got a few more. It takes a very good, although I haven't used it hard enough to say how well it holds it. Still, for the price it's hard to beat- it's a real knife!

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.