Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#207999 - 09/14/10 08:00 PM Re: $5 PSK [Re: Boghog1]
ajax Offline

I just remembered that some of the local PDs here pass out free whistles to anyone who wants one. Maybe you could get in touch with them. They'll most likely be cheapo pea whistles but then again this is more about teaching than actual survival.

Also, contact your local CERT or Civil Air Patrol organizer and see if you can get some donations from them. I know my mother got a whole bag of freebies when she volunteered a couple years back.

#208008 - 09/14/10 11:03 PM Re: $5 PSK [Re: Boghog1]
Boghog1 Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Wow some great information provided in this thread, and yes the $5 is in addition to the 10 essentials.

As for fund raising the troop is doing that but we are hoping to use the money raised for a trip down the alagash and other camping trips, which will not be cheap.

This is also to be used as a lesson in being thrifty. anyone can go out and buy a kit but the satisfaction of doing something yourself and without breaking the bank.

I had a question about the hard drive things, is there something reflective inside hard drives? I have never pulled one apart.

#208009 - 09/14/10 11:21 PM Re: $5 PSK [Re: Boghog1]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
The hard drive questions makes me think of old CDs and DVDs. They might not work in players anymore but they'd make cheap signal mirrors.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#208013 - 09/14/10 11:38 PM Re: $5 PSK [Re: Boghog1]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
So they have the basic ten with them... OK. They pretty much have it covered. What needs to be added is a whistle, some codage, and a couple of trashbags.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#208018 - 09/15/10 01:00 AM Re: $5 PSK [Re: Boghog1]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Boghog1
I had a question about the hard drive things, is there something reflective inside hard drives? I have never pulled one apart.

I typically yank the hard drive before sending a PC for recycling. SOP.

The spinning disc inside the sealed hard drive is made of metal, with a highly polished surface (deposited magnetic recording medium) and a hole in the middle. In terms of reflectivity, IMO it is significantly better than acrylic mirrors, and darn close to glass.

This makes a very high quality, easy to aim, improvised signal mirror. Plus, the other metallic components (moving arms etc.) would make excellent fishing tackle. I you hack one of these apart in the bush and show your scouts what you can do with the internals, you will absolutely blow their tiny minds.

Edited by dougwalkabout (09/15/10 01:01 AM)

#208019 - 09/15/10 01:14 AM Re: $5 PSK [Re: Boghog1]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Some notions that might be helpful:
Usually around this time of year, Walgreens still has a bunch of promotional 'back to school' items that have occasionally included relatively inexpensive aluminum tube whistles.

Also, Target occasionally sells very small FAK/survival kits for a whopping $1. In a plastic ziploc pouch it included a set of tweezers in a tube, a box of matches that were dipped in wax, and a few bandages. If they happen to be carrying them now, you could add an inexpensive survival blanket that I often see for sale for another $1, some needles, the dealextreme lights mentioned above, needles, safety pins and thread. Magnetize the needle and include a slice of a wine cork (or whatever) to float the needle on and you have a compass.

Party stores also might be a good source for inexpensive items like whistles and compasses.

#208030 - 09/15/10 01:50 PM Re: $5 PSK [Re: Boghog1]
ajax Offline

I'm starting to think that the form factor is going to be the biggest detriment to keeping costs low.

The tins themselves are over $1 and restrict the size of items greatly.

#208035 - 09/15/10 03:06 PM Re: $5 PSK [Re: Boghog1]
ajax Offline

Found some more cheap bulk on DX.

20 pack of button compasses:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4519

10 pack:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4732

http://www.4imprint.com/
Is a printing company that gives free samples of the items they can do printing on. I've requested one of the Garrity headlamps, it's perfect for a freebie backup.
http://www.4imprint.com/search/garrity/product/100123/Garrity-LED-Head-Lamp

I was thinking char cloth would be cheaper to make and easier to carry for a firestarting kit. It won't require a special container like petroleum jelly and you can use anything that's 100% cotton...old tshirts, pillow cases, sheets, etc.

#208036 - 09/15/10 03:26 PM Re: $5 PSK [Re: Boghog1]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Regarding the dealextreme compasses: read the user reviews. Not good.

#208037 - 09/15/10 03:26 PM Re: $5 PSK [Re: Boghog1]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
after my post on the use of paraffin and cotton we used in the late 50's which I hadn't thought of in years.. yesterday I was opening a bottle of aspirin... took a piece of 4x4 aluminum foil and pressed it into the cap to make a well, melted 1/8 inch candle wax and pressed about 1x1/2 inch of the cotton filler into the wax... chilled it in the freezer, and then rolled it out to unstick....easily folded up.... not messy... the foil acts as a mini wind screen...and readily catches spark from striker wheel but you need to ignite at the boundary between the paraffin and cotton....a possible alternative to your tinder quest

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 386 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.