The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#203381 - 06/13/10 05:54 PM Re: Making Sea water drinkable [Re: chickenlittle]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Rainwater is 20 times cleaner than any ground water.

Invest in a sturdy above-ground swimming pool and a tight cover, and collect water off your roof. Google 'texas water harvesting' for more info.

One inch of rain on a 1000 sqft home or garage will collect 600 gallons of water. A 12' diameter pool that is 52" tall and filled to 44" holds about 3,200 gallons of water; 5" of rain will fill it.

If you have a home roofed with asphalt shingles, and a garage with a metal roof, use the metal roof.

Keep your kids out of it.

Sue

#203390 - 06/13/10 09:06 PM Re: Making Sea water drinkable [Re: Susan]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Just throwing some ideas in, I know we've discussed it before and it is a repeat of others ideas. I have 2 salt water desalinizers due to I live near the ocean as well, my two setups are a PUR Survivor 35 I had gotten off e-bay for $250 and a e-still that I bought almost 15 or 20 years ago, don't remember how much I paid for it. It is my favorite (e-still)between the two because there is no filters or screwing around with storing it with biocide.

#207090 - 09/01/10 02:00 PM Re: Making Sea water drinkable [Re: texasboots]
sotto Offline
Addict

My So Cal city, in its infinite capacity to pass more and more building code requirements, now requires that any remodeling or new construction incorporate a rainwater collection and ground-water dispersal system on the property. Essentially this means that you have to install rain gutters and downspouts on the house, if none existed previously, and collect all the roof run-off and send it to a rock-lined and vented covered pit on the property. OR, collect the run-off in rain barrels for slow dispersal over time via a valve on the barrel. This is required even if you just replace a garage, as I recently did. So, I'm not going to worry so much anymore about solar stills (see my earlier post above), and just rely on my rain barrels for backup water, assuming we get our normal 14 inch annual rainfall in the indefinite future. I have a battery-operated UV water Steri-Pen (the Journey) with lots of batteries and lots of coffee filters.

And given the possibility of little or no rain, I'll keep the barrels filled in advance with the garden hose.

#207324 - 09/05/10 09:38 AM Re: Making Sea water drinkable [Re: texasboots]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Given plenty of fuel, boiling water into steam is easy, the problem is in providing sufficient cooling to condense all the steam into drinking water.

One option is to pass the steam through a coil of pipe in a container of cold seawater.
This water will soon become heated, and should be replaced with cold. The heated salt water should be added to the water in the still, thereby slightly reducing the fuel needed.

There used to be a purpose designed product for distilling seawater, that worked semi automaticly.

Another option would be to use a long length of copper pipe, perhaps fixed to the wall, steam in the top, fresh water out the bottom.
The large area of hot copper pipe could be used for drying food,or laundry.

Please take great care that any improvised boiler or still cant build up any significant pressure, it would explode.
A very simple safety device consists of a vertical pipe open at both ends. The lower end is immersed in the boiling water, the upper end is open to the air.
Any build up of pressure will force the water out of the tube thereby emptying the boiler.
To avoid danger of scalding, the pipe should be angled away from persons.

#207337 - 09/05/10 02:02 PM Re: Making Sea water drinkable [Re: adam2]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: adam2
Given plenty of fuel, boiling water into steam is easy, the problem is in providing sufficient cooling to condense all the steam into drinking water.

One option is to pass the steam through a coil of pipe in a container of cold seawater.
This water will soon become heated, and should be replaced with cold. The heated salt water should be added to the water in the still, thereby slightly reducing the fuel needed.

There used to be a purpose designed product for distilling seawater, that worked semi automaticly.

Another option would be to use a long length of copper pipe, perhaps fixed to the wall, steam in the top, fresh water out the bottom.
The large area of hot copper pipe could be used for drying food,or laundry.

Please take great care that any improvised boiler or still cant build up any significant pressure, it would explode.
A very simple safety device consists of a vertical pipe open at both ends. The lower end is immersed in the boiling water, the upper end is open to the air.
Any build up of pressure will force the water out of the tube thereby emptying the boiler.
To avoid danger of scalding, the pipe should be angled away from persons.

Are we making water or the "liquid of the gods"

RIP OBG

#207810 - 09/12/10 04:57 PM Re: Making Sea water drinkable [Re: Desperado]
Susan Offline
Geezer

'Are we making water or the "liquid of the gods"'

Dual function, man! Triple function if you include using the condensation tubes for hanging laundry. grin

First, you make your water drinkable, then you generate some income/barter goods.

Sue

#207827 - 09/12/10 09:25 PM Re: Making Sea water drinkable [Re: texasboots]
sotto Offline
Addict

I think the Dutch drank only beer for decades--babies, kids, adults, all of them; cuz that's the only potable "water" they had.

#207875 - 09/13/10 05:30 AM Re: Making Sea water drinkable [Re: sotto]
Susan Offline
Geezer

They knew how to make beer, but the other stuff was too tricky.

My uncle said the trickiest part of making beer was getting the caps to stay on. Apparently the Dutch mastered that early on.

Sue

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.