Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#207780 - 09/11/10 09:20 PM Re: Moose vs. Car....everybody loses! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I wonder how the moose was struck to end up positioned like that in the minivan? You think the minivan came up from behind the moose and it crashed hind-first through the windshield?

#207783 - 09/11/10 10:59 PM Re: Moose vs. Car....everybody loses! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Or they hit it such a way that the shoulder hit the roll cage at the windsheild and pivoted. The fact that there is a moose head and a hatchet in the driver's seat kinda worries me that this is one where they didn't need to call for a medivac by air.

I've seen cars that tangles with moose, and the car always loses. (Including pictures of one Volvo that looked awfully cute to a bull in rut- I'd hate to have to explain THAT to my insurance agent.) Smaller pickups and SUVs lose. Full sized pickups lose to. In fact, everything smaller than long haul rig or a freight train loses.

Remember folks- moose are stupid, mostly blind, and too tall see on the road. And a bull in rut is one of the scariest animals I can think of in North America short of a polar bear. I've also seen a small building a bull during rutting season, destroyed. There were both hoof and antler hits on the wood. I guess he thought it was another male.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#207785 - 09/11/10 11:24 PM Re: Moose vs. Car....everybody loses! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Total guess but there probably wasn't enough impact at bumper level to trigger the sensors. It looks like they knocked the legs out from under it & momentum landed it on the hood, etc.

#207786 - 09/11/10 11:40 PM Re: Moose vs. Car....everybody loses! [Re: Arney]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I wonder how the moose was struck to end up positioned like that in the minivan? You think the minivan came up from behind the moose and it crashed hind-first through the windshield?"

The hindquarters are the heaviest part. If you throw something that has a heavy end and a lighter end, the heavy end will always lead.

Or, the moose and the car were going in the same direction, but the moose was slower.

Sue

#207803 - 09/12/10 12:35 PM Re: Moose vs. Car....everybody loses! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Notice the hatchet on the front seat? I wonder what it hacked as it flew up there?
I imagine it was brought by rescue personnel, and wasn't present when the crash happened.

#207822 - 09/12/10 06:43 PM Re: Moose vs. Car....everybody loses! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
People keep talking about polar bears

There ARE no polar bears

They are Cartesian Bears after a coordinate transform wink
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#207826 - 09/12/10 08:04 PM Re: Moose vs. Car....everybody loses! [Re: dougwalkabout]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Gawd, that's nasty. Those pictures sent a cold shiver down my spine.

EDIT: Why the heck didn't the airbags deploy?

I noticed that too. Older model? there certainly is proof of the driver hitting that steering wheel.

I have a feeling that driver made it to the hospital. It's amazing the damage cars can take and keep people safe.

#207837 - 09/13/10 12:37 AM Re: Moose vs. Car....everybody loses! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
WOW, that is a crazy set of pictures.

#207841 - 09/13/10 01:49 AM Re: Moose vs. Car....everybody loses! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I happened to be in the Dept. of Motor Vehicles here in Maine yesterday. On the wall was a map of Maine, mostly covered with red dots. They were the record of Moose/Car incidents. I don't remember the time frame, but as I recall it was not long. Perhaps a two or 3 year period.

That night I did a long slow drive through the woods. The rare other vehicles would zoom up behind me and at the first opportunity blaze past. I spotted 2 deer, one raccoon, two skunks and two drunks. They seemed to be enjoying themselves walking along in dark clothing. No moose, but that map seemed to be stuck in my minds eye.

I am sure those folks in the speeeeedy cars were irritated my my slow progress. All along the ride I expected to top a hill and find a horror.

Driving at night in the deep woods is not a pleasant thing.

Nomad.

#207850 - 09/13/10 03:38 AM Re: Moose vs. Car....everybody loses! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Scary, but then again it isn't just moose.

I came close to ending it by running into a couple of large black with a compact car doing 70mph an a cool fall night without a moon. What saved me was the reflection of my headlights in one of the cow's eyes. The glimmer of light caused me to slow down, and keep slowing down, until I saw the cows not 50 feet in front of me. I had to stop and honk my horn to get them off the road.

A farmer's fence was down in a rural area and his cows, I'm told about 1800 pounds each, were attracted to the warmth coming off the warm roadway. My car at the time weighed all of 1700 pounds. At 70 mph it is a fight I would have lost in a very big way.

Let's be careful out there.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.