Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#207669 - 09/10/10 02:25 PM Gas Lines In Your Yard?
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
If you haven't seen it, the gas line rupture in California is a major incident. Look on news.google.com for more information.

Many locations have gas lines passing through them, but gas pipelines are a whole different thing. High pressures and long distances combine to create what amounts to a massive fuel load that even if cut off with a valve upstream of the break takes a long time to burn off.

While there's little you can do to prepare for a rare disaster such as this one, at least be aware.

http://www.rextagstrategies.com/downloads

#207713 - 09/10/10 09:24 PM Re: Gas Lines In Your Yard? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

IMHO it is prudent to maintain some level of situational awareness and part of that is having a working understanding of where things that might go boom, or be hazard if it catches fire, are located.

Pipelines, rail-roads and highways are good to know about because you never know what might be traveling around them. A truckload of agricultural chemicals that catches fire can put large areas at risk. You can add industrial sites that contain potentially hazardous materials. A local boat plant went up a few years ago and entire neighborhoods had to be evacuated because of the large amounts of resins and paints present.

One people forget about are warehouses that contain agricultural and industrial supplies. These buildings are easy to miss and are poorly marked. Even as they can have great qualities of toxic, flammable, and toxic materials.

Fuel supply depots and even regular gas stations are useful to know about. Even a small gas station can block an intersection for a long time if it catches fire.

Supply depots are handy because fewer people know about them. Most seem to sell to anyone but they are mainly set up for contractors and fleet fueling. One year a hurricane was closing in and all the local gas stations were out of gas. Wanting to top up my supply I went to a local supply depot and was able to get the gas I wanted.

It pays to know where hazards are. Keeping this in mind, and the prevailing wind direction, can give you an idea of what areas might be at risk if there is a fire or explosion.

#207718 - 09/10/10 10:22 PM Re: Gas Lines In Your Yard? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
As I mentioned I bought (and fortunately sold) a residential lot with a line running through it. I had all sorts of ideas to build in such a way so that if there was a problem yada yada yada. . .

Bottom line for me was that the lot came with too many restrictions so I put it back on the market and made a relatively large profit (early 90's). I'm sure there are a lot of gas lines that never have any issues, but every once in a while you get what happened in San Bruno. . .

California wildfires I can deal with, plenty of warning to protect livestock, pets, valuables. . .

San Bruno was virtually zero warning. Firefighters watching the flames helplessly because the inferno was beyond their capability. . .

#207719 - 09/10/10 10:33 PM Re: Gas Lines In Your Yard? [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Crews try to reach smoldering homes after blast
Quote:
. . .Compared to the tens of thousands of miles of gas pipelines across the country, accidents are relatively rare, but usually deadly.

In 2008, there were 44 significant accidents involving gas transmission or distribution pipelines, killing 365 people and injuring 1,553.. . .

#207808 - 09/12/10 04:38 PM Re: Gas Lines In Your Yard? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I live near a rail line and a secondary feeder highway off the main west coast Interstate.

Knowing which way the wind blows could be crucial to an escape plan. Here, the prevailing wind is from the west, but in the mornings it often blows from the east, and other times it comes from the south.

I haven't done it, but I've often thought that a simple weathervane could be very useful in such a situation. It would be really stupid to race TOWARD a leaking chlorine tank...

Sue

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.