Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#207439 - 09/07/10 11:01 AM Re: Whats Special About The Frost Mora? [Re: Frisket]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Frisket
So whats so special about the frost mora besides its price? I can see how a lot of people like it but After awhile I've seen the mora advertised with the common idea towards newbies that...I can see the appeal but is there any other reason to suggest it besides the price point? Is there any reason to suggest it over a Gerber profile or Buck 119 (which are both affordable easily locatable knives)to a newbie in preparedness?

The pattern, steel, heat treatment, and the grind. The scandi grind is very newbie friendly as it is dead simple to sharpen (zero learning curve).

Also, pride. Much like a SAK or Opinel, I bet a 100 years from now you will still be able to buy a Mora and the quality will be the same or better, and the price will have remained low.

#207450 - 09/07/10 05:15 PM Re: Whats Special About The Frost Mora? [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
The Mora Clipper does what I need, very very well, at a price that I'm willing to pay.

The Byrd (Spyderco) Robin does what I need, very very well, at a price I'm willing to pay.

Thus, I recommend both of these knives highly. They are inexpensive. Neither has ever let me down. I'm not afraid to use them. I don't try to protect or baby them. They are tools, not objects of worship. They are not the end-all of knives. But they fit my needs perfectly. Why pay more?

#207467 - 09/07/10 10:52 PM Re: Whats Special About The Frost Mora? [Re: haertig]
Hookpunch Offline

Originally Posted By: haertig

Thus, I recommend both of these knives highly. They are inexpensive. Neither has ever let me down. I'm not afraid to use them. I don't try to protect or baby them. They are tools, not objects of worship. They are not the end-all of knives. But they fit my needs perfectly. Why pay more?

good point, buy a really expensive knife and it turns into a safe queen fairly often. When I have crude work around the house or in the garden I grab the Mora.

#207482 - 09/08/10 03:29 AM Re: Whats Special About The Frost Mora? [Re: haertig]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: haertig
They are tools, not objects of worship.

Well said. Yes, I think that describes it nicely.

In fairness to the OP, though, there is also a hint of counter-culture about the Mora. It fits the philosophy of the bushcraft-related gurus, where learning anything means paring down to the absolute, most basic essentials -- not only in physical gear, but in mental attitude. The simple Mora, with no hype or cachet, and yet with a high degree of practical functionality, fits well with this mindset and process. But that means it's not just a tool, it's a symbol of a certain mental discipline.

Then, when a plethora of survival-oriented gurus get a lot of media play, as they are right now, it might actually appear to be a kind of hype. We all know (and are cynical about) how counter-culture cachet can be exploited as a crass marketing tool. I can't say I've seen this with Moras, but some people may seize this vibe as a sales pitch.

Of course, maybe a cigar is just a cigar.

My $0.02.

Edited by dougwalkabout (09/08/10 03:31 AM)

#207490 - 09/08/10 10:46 AM Re: Whats Special About The Frost Mora? [Re: Frisket]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Phaerdrus

I do a lot of online research and the mora is way way over hyped and its often claimed as the end all be all. When cody showed his knife off and talked as if it made him more of a sophisticated person instead of the big knife the other guy carried it pissssed me off majorly!

Funny that: I do my research by using, and I'll take a Mora over a lot of so called "uberknives".

Cody was trying to make a point: Which is that it's the skill of the man behind the knife that matters, not the knife itself. He's picked himself a knife that is light, a reasonable size, sharp, easy to sharpen, can be used as a fire striker (if needs must)and reasonably rugged.

One small observation about Cody: If you actually listen to him, there is a very thoughtful and well educated individual under the "hippy" exteriour.

Having said that, I personally tend more towards David Canterbury's material based approach. But that does not mean that I cannot or will not learn from Cody.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (09/08/10 10:47 AM)
Edit Reason: Added to.

#207494 - 09/08/10 01:09 PM Re: Whats Special About The Frost Mora? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
One small observation about Cody: If you actually listen to him, there is a very thoughtful and well educated individual under the "hippy" exteriour.

Agreed. I'm also impressed with his written work.

#207498 - 09/08/10 03:12 PM Re: Whats Special About The Frost Mora? [Re: Frisket]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
my opinion; better steel (carbon); you can strike sparks off of it in emergency; sharper and easy to keep sharp. I've personally never been impressed with gerber and would not pay a $1 more for it; and Buck is just OK imo.

#207506 - 09/08/10 04:58 PM Re: Whats Special About The Frost Mora? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Having said that, I personally tend more towards David Canterbury's material based approach. But that does not mean that I cannot or will not learn from Cody.

I Honestly do not like Cody and would much rather listen to David On most things. Without going to off topic Ive watched cody multiple times in different things he has done and I personally just do not like him. Not really difficult to process that people can not be liked. I also didnt mention anything about learning from him and such i simply said the way he came off about using the mora over what Dave had made him "better" did not settle well with me. I dont mind listening to things he has to say and taking what i want from his teaching's but Will i buy his book? Nope. But that is key to learning about anything at all you do not listen to one person and everyone will like or hate certain people no matter their knowledge. There are people that would rather risk life listening to bear grylls then just Survive listening to Les stroud, just an a example.

Also What do you mean by Ubernives? What do you personally consider a uber knife? So far Ive only mentioned the gerber profile and buck 119 of witch the buck has a rather good Rep under its belt but by far i wouldnt consider the Buck 119 a uberknife.

#207508 - 09/08/10 06:18 PM Re: Whats Special About The Frost Mora? [Re: Frisket]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.

I Honestly do not like Cody and would much rather listen to David On most things. Without going to off topic Ive watched cody multiple times in different things he has done and I personally just do not like him. Not really difficult to process that people can not be liked. I also didnt mention anything about learning from him and such i simply said the way he came off about using the mora over what Dave had made him "better" did not settle well with me. I dont mind listening to things he has to say and taking what i want from his teaching's but Will i buy his book? Nope. But that is key to learning about anything at all you do not listen to one person and everyone will like or hate certain people no matter their knowledge. There are people that would rather risk life listening to bear grylls then just Survive listening to Les stroud, just an a example.

Also What do you mean by Ubernives? What do you personally consider a uber knife? So far Ive only mentioned the gerber profile and buck 119 of witch the buck has a rather good Rep under its belt but by far i wouldnt consider the Buck 119 a uberknife.

Neither would I. Buck 119 is a good knife. Fraction large for my taste, but that is personal tast smile

Re "Uber knife"

According to to the Manufacturer: 4 layers of space age steel. 10 years to develop, $300 price tag.

But it doesn't cut any better than your 119 or a Mora.

#207510 - 09/08/10 06:54 PM Re: Whats Special About The Frost Mora? [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Something like the tom brown tracker i think is a P.O.S. Uberknife.

I honestly wouldn't spend more then 100-150 On a knife and if i had the money my insta buy knife would be the ritter RSK MK3. Till then i gotta settle with my 119 which im still happy with.

If i was going to get a mora whats the most suggested? Id much prefer a Plastic handle at the least.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 400 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.