Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#207554 - 09/09/10 04:29 AM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Brangdon]
Fyrediver Offline

I carry spare contacts that are wearable for a month or more. Additionally, I carry my glasses in my "murse" just in case too.

Finally, I think I'm going to go back in time and get another pair of these:
http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=7039&TabID=548&cs=1

I was issued them in the AF and I, regretfully now, got rid of them shortly thereafter. Now, however, I've seen guys on my Hazmat team wearing them on responses and drills.

They take their contacts out in the cold zone and put these on. They wear their SCBA masks over them and they seal quite nicely. They're also VERY robust. Those guys don't want their contacts to become contaminated and don't want to have to switch back and forth between mask inserts and street glasses at a chaotic Hazmat or Fire scene. One guy says that's what he wears on late fire calls if his eyes are tired and he's already removed his contacts for the night.

Mine are are order. I am glad that I won't be picking up on the babes when I'm forced to wear them WSHTF. Although, maybe The Uber-Preparedness Man that will be exuded will be really sexy to those women smile

#207608 - 09/09/10 11:35 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Phaedrus]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Wow, those combat glass frames make the celebrated, but seldom coveted, US army 'birth control' glasses look stylish and sophisticated. Clark Kent couldn't pull that look off.

For general use I prefer prescription aviators with a cushioned brow and springy arms that wrap the ears, so don't fall off. I can go without glasses for gas mask and breathing apparatus use but inserts, either frames or stick-ons, are options.

#209376 - 10/09/10 05:33 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Phaedrus]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Has anyone tried edc'ing spare contacts ? Seems an easy pocket sized solution.
( I'm also thinking of keeping my old - last prescription - glasses as spares in the car.)

#209399 - 10/09/10 11:56 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Has anyone tried edc'ing spare contacts ? Seems an easy pocket sized solution.
( I'm also thinking of keeping my old - last prescription - glasses as spares in the car.)

I do carry spare contacts and solution whenever I'm traveling, but not as part of my EDC.

My big concern about spare contacts is temperature -- I would keep them in my BOB or my laptop bag, both of which can spend a great deal of time in the trunk of my car. This can lead to conditions that would destroy the contacts. Other than carrying spare glasses, I haven't figured out a good way to deal with this.

#209403 - 10/10/10 02:17 AM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I keep spare contacts and solution in my Jeep through the heat of summer and freezing of winter, and haven't detected any issues. I do rotate them every six months, either through need or as part of standard kit maintenance. I also have spare distance and reading glasses in the car.

This is also true of my EDC, GHB and BOB, though minus the distance glasses in the former two.

BTW, Zenni Optical is a good source for cheap, spare eyeglasses. I bring all my prescription glasses and my sunglasses with me on my annual eye checkup, and get them refitted. Since I buy the contacts and an occasional distance glasses from him, he has no problem adjusting them for me. Most of the eyeglass chains will do the same for free.

#209443 - 10/10/10 10:56 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Mark_M]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
I keep spare contacts and solution in my Jeep through the heat of summer and freezing of winter, and haven't detected any issues. I do rotate them every six months, either through need or as part of standard kit maintenance.

That is really good to know, thank you.

#209469 - 10/11/10 02:05 AM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Phaedrus]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
suggestion for bifocal wearers and shooting.. I have asthigmatism and have been wearing bifocals for about 20 years, and have been competitive shooting for a little over 27...I've tried to have several optical firms make a pair of polycarbonate lenses,with no success... polycarbonate wrap arounds with prescription inserts, no luck...tried moving the near prescription to the top of the lens (tilt head down slightly to shoot) no luck... what worked was to have a single vision lens of my near prescription for my dominant eye, and move the bifocal line up a couple of millimeters in my non dominant eye. Depth perception is off for about 1/2 hour, but your brain compensates...my shooting box is next to the 72hr bag in the car, and I have 2pairs of shooting glasses...my optician is a shooter friend, and the optometrist he works with has me bring my pistol or carbine into the office...

#211308 - 11/14/10 02:35 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Mark_M]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

good resource for buying on-line glasses ( and discounts)

glassy eyes blog

Edited by TeacherRO (11/14/10 02:35 PM)

#211311 - 11/14/10 04:53 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Phaedrus]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Vets out there who may not know it..if you have a service connected disability for anything you can get free glasses from the VA.

#211330 - 11/15/10 12:04 AM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Phaedrus]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I keep a spare pair in each hiking pack, bob and each vehicle. I'm not blind without them yet but they do make things clearer. I should probably EDC an extra pair, as I do with sunglasses.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 294 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.