Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#204606 - 07/12/10 02:25 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Near-sighted as close to all my life as doesn't matter.

Anything beyond about 18" is out of focus.

I have my previous pair in a hardcase in my GHB in my trunk. When I replace my current pair, they'll go in the GHB and the prev. ones will go in the GOOD (Get Out Of Dodge) bag.

In a world where prescription lenses aren't available any more? I'd be up the creek without even a canoe. And something brushing my leg.

#204609 - 07/12/10 03:24 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Phaedrus]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good thinking. You can now order prescription glasses online for as little as $25. ( I'm wearing mine now.) Get a few spares.

#204618 - 07/12/10 05:34 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have spare pairs of contacts, but I'm concerned about how well they'll store in my BOB. My BOB is kept in the trunk of my car most of the time, so it's subject to 100+ degree temperatures in the summer and below freezing in the winter.

Does the collective wisdom here have a sense as to how well contacts and solution last in various conditions of heat and cold?

#204624 - 07/12/10 08:19 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: chaosmagnet]
horizonseeker Offline
Journeyman

if subjected to varying degrees and conditions, i'd just go with a pair or pairs of glasses. I use contacts, but I would not consider them suitable for serious situations where you are without adequate backup or supply. As they are, contacts are just too delicate. get something in your eye? better be able to take out that contact with clean hands because otherwise you are not going to put it back in.

i have several pairs of glasses stored in various bags and drawers, all with hard cases. They make the package more bulky but i rest easier knowing that they can take some knocking about.

#204665 - 07/13/10 02:25 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: horizonseeker]
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
Well, if SHTF then I guess I can't hold onto vanity and will have to go back to this all the time: http://www.flickr.com/photos/christinarodriguez/3495125184

My options are pretty limited, sadly. I have the retinas of a 65-year old and have a very expensive perscription. My contacts aren't supposed to be worn for longer than a year, according to my doctor, so keeping backups or disposables isn't really an option. To top it off, Lasik might do more damage than good (already had my retina detach once, thanks).

So, I must rely on glasses as backups. They haven't improved much since that picture was taken, but at least I can hold onto them much longer.

#204691 - 07/14/10 04:42 AM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Phaedrus]
Crookedknife Offline
Stranger

Loc: Washington
New to the forum here. Every time I go in to update my prescription (I wear glasses only), I get a new pair of glasses & tuck away the old ones somewhere useful, always keeping the most recent pair in the car. I also keep a few anti-fog lens wipes in all of my toiletry kits, though plain soap & water will work fine. I used to keep one of those cheap repair kits in my BOB too, but realized none of the screws would fit any of my glasses. Duct tape worked fine the one time a set of glasses fell apart, at least until I got to a fresh set.

I've also used duct tape as a glasses holder: During a weeklong offtrail hike, I realized in the first few minutes that I'd forgotten to bring a sunglass holder to keep the brush from ripping my glasses off. Can't live without duct tape!

If space in an issue, like an EDC kit, I had a set of prescription lenses fit into "optical quality" folding reading glasses. If the folding frames are too cheap, the optometrist won't like putting prescriptions in them. I think Myspex brand was the one I settled on at the time, but I think there are some less expensive ones out there. When tucked away in their case, this spare set is about the size of a small & fat cellphone.

#204698 - 07/14/10 07:05 AM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Crookedknife]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Hi, welcome to the forum. I wear lenses for play and glasses for mostly everything else. I like your thinking smile

#204725 - 07/14/10 09:47 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Christina
Well, if SHTF then I guess I can't hold onto vanity and will have to go back to this all the time: http://www.flickr.com/photos/christinarodriguez/3495125184

My options are pretty limited, sadly. I have the retinas of a 65-year old and have a very expensive perscription. My contacts aren't supposed to be worn for longer than a year, according to my doctor, so keeping backups or disposables isn't really an option. To top it off, Lasik might do more damage than good (already had my retina detach once, thanks).

So, I must rely on glasses as backups. They haven't improved much since that picture was taken, but at least I can hold onto them much longer.

You make many valid points. LASIK, and other surgical interventions, won't work for everyone. Contact lenses have their own burdens, weaknesses and contraindications. For many people eyeglasses are their only practical option. And I suspect that eyeglasses remain the backup of choice for anyone with anything less than perfect vision. Glasses, developed in the 14th century, are still a simple and reliable answer.

A little history for those so inclined:
http://www.teagleoptometry.com/history.htm

#204755 - 07/15/10 06:29 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I wear glasses, but it's a very mild perscription. I keep a spare pair of sunglasses in the kit and clip-ons in my briefcase. My regular sunglasses live in the car. If you're looking for rugged and inexpensive glasses for your BOB, I'd give serious consideration to persciption safety glasses. They're (generally) a cheaper and tougher then the fashion frames most of us wear.

P.S. I know SHTF and TEOTWAWKI, but what's PAW?

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#204756 - 07/15/10 06:46 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Mark_R]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
PAW = Post Apocalyptic World. It's the favorited term at ZF.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 216 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.