Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#206417 - 08/18/10 12:52 PM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
sully Offline
Stranger

Loc: Tn
I've been doing research for a Guyot bottle PSK article for the next issue of Survival Quarterly magazine. I say get the 38 oz "Standard" model. Thanks for the info on the Backpacker model. I wondered what that taper is all about!

Dave Canterbury had a video of him makning tea in his bottle. He had the Standard model.

The regular plastic Nalgene cap will not fit on mine either but I use the Humangear Cap instead!

My kit is based on the 10 x 4 Maxpedition bottle holder. I got the 12 x 5 holder for comparison purposes.

Pots and cups nest well in the 10 x 4 and "standard bottle." KK just came out with a 64 oz bottle. Its a good fit in the 10 x 4 holder, but you have to put your hand down in the bottle to grab and remove! A tight but acceptable fit! Ya can't take the bottle out for drinking! Of course it fits the 12 x 5 holder also.

There are other reasons to go with the Guyot. Looking inside the Guyot, I can't see any metal seams. I can with the KK!

How ya gonna take it out of a fire? The Guyot has finns that allow many options, the KK is useless here!.

The Guyot is thicker than the KK. So weight vs strength! Now the 64 oz KK will take regular nalgene caps but still, go with the Guyot!

#206453 - 08/18/10 08:26 PM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions? [Re: ]
ShelterMe Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Woah. Your threads and entire lip of the bottle look WAY different than my two bottles. On my bottle between the top thread and the lip of the bottle is less than one eighth of an inch, but yours is WAY taller.

Might be a manufacturing defect.

I reaaaaally hate to admit this, I bought the bottle at Dick's (gasp!) had a gift card. You don't suppose Guyot are making crap to sell at the Wal-mart of outdoor stores, do you? This brings up another key issue-- I bought the bottle not only so I could ditch my Nalgene with steel cup, and that it would still fit various filters and purifiers designed to fit the standard wide mouth threads. Did they just make their product basically useless to me? Does anyone know anything about a change in manufacturing here? Also, not a defect,tried several others at the same chain again. Soooo it's either they're making two lines of product to sell or they've changed the product completely...

Edited by ShelterMe (08/18/10 08:28 PM)

#206464 - 08/18/10 11:52 PM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions? [Re: ]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I can't vouch for anything Guyot designs makes for any other company, even nalgine but I can vouch for their bottles from their website plus their customer service has been beyond outstanding. I have many 32 oz bottles from them including a free one because they shipped one that had a dent in it plus they sent me a bunch of those plastic spill inserts for free. They have made a life customer from me due to the way they treat the customer and such a outstanding product. I can put any cap on mine that will fit a nalgine standard threads, I use my combi water filter on it, I use a steripen in it, I've boiled water in it and keep one in my work backpack, one in my BOB and one for normal traveling. I won't buy them from the store, I go and buy them from the website due to the great customer support and how they stand by their product, a few dollars savings isn't worth it for the support giving. You can't go wrong in my opinion, and I believe they have done Izzy right in the past from a dented bottle if I'm not mistaking.

#206471 - 08/19/10 01:15 AM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions? [Re: ]
ShelterMe Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: ShelterMe

I reaaaaally hate to admit this, I bought the bottle at Dick's (gasp!) had a gift card. You don't suppose Guyot are making crap to sell at the Wal-mart of outdoor stores, do you? This brings up another key issue-- I bought the bottle not only so I could ditch my Nalgene with steel cup, and that it would still fit various filters and purifiers designed to fit the standard wide mouth threads. Did they just make their product basically useless to me? Does anyone know anything about a change in manufacturing here? Also, not a defect,tried several others at the same chain again. Soooo it's either they're making two lines of product to sell or they've changed the product completely...

No, they're not making specific ones for specific stores. Still don't know what to tell you. I know a ton of people who use widemouth water purifiers on their Guyot's and they work fine.

Only person who could answer your questions are the Guyot family. Go to their site and send them an e-mail. I promise you they'll treat you well and probably send you some free stuff. If I recall one guy complained up a storm to them and the Guyots felt so bad they sent him one of every one of their products for free to apologize.

Personally if I were you...I'd get a Guyot Bottle directly from Guyot and see if it works best. I wouldn't be surprised if the ones that they're selling to Nalgene (Nalgenes SS bottles ARE Guyot Bottles) might be of a lesser quality control standard. I've only bought directly from Guyot.

Hey Izzy I don't know, I've tried several different lids and bottles both to and from Nalgene and Guyot at both Dick's and EMS and come up with the same result, so clearly something has changed in the design. Whether they know about it, that is the question. I've sent an email via the contact page on Guyot's site explaining that the actual bottle does not fit the claims in the FAQ on the Guyot site. Hopefully I didn't sound too irate, but this is probably something that should be addressed. The only other thing I can come up with is that perhaps it is the Nalgene products that have changed (?) and not the Guyots. Either way there is a substantial gap between the lip of the Standard Guyot bottle and the first thread. If you guys that say the bottles you have are maybe different, please post a pic if you have any free time to do so... Thanks!! Will let you all know how it turns out. Didn't really want my first string of posts to be a gripe session, but I thought you fine people would be the folks to come to for an answer or three...

Cheers,

-M

#206544 - 08/21/10 01:45 AM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions? [Re: ]
ShelterMe Offline
Stranger

Oh yeah! That's what I'm looking for. So. Did some digging again, I think you might be onto something with the formula change in the lid manufacturing. I tried some other Nalgene lids, one of which had an integrated straw and small-mouth cap, and the other had a flippy ring/cover (which could break rendering your bottle useless but that's besides the point)-- and both fit the Guyot perfectly flush. It seems the basic no frills Nalgene wide-mouth lid is the change here, perhaps not the Guyot bottle. Furthermore, I think it is the thread pattern on the inside of the Nalgene wide-mouth basic cap itself, not the thread pattern on the outside of the Nalgene wide-mouth bottle. Baffles the mind. Now I feel like a first-class @sshat for complaining to the Guyot people. Ah well, you live and you learn.

#206550 - 08/21/10 11:25 AM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions? [Re: ShelterMe]
Ramsey Offline
Stranger

Loc: Northern CA
Guyot Designs is the way to go. Lots of options to suit whatever needs you have.

#206560 - 08/21/10 06:38 PM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions? [Re: ShelterMe]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Are you sure it is a Nalgene made lid?

There are people who make 63mm mouthed bottles and lids, that don't quite match. I have a really neat little 20oz bottle that has the right size mouth, but I didn't screw my funky EDC bottle's lid onto it to check. It looked close.

Close. Not quite. frown But for Guyots, yeah, real Nalgene lids work. It's SOP for me to make the swap for those because that wonderfully subtle texture on the Guyot caps become miserably untextured when wet or wearing gloves. My one grumble.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#206599 - 08/22/10 05:19 PM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions? [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
And, for that matter, the Guyot bottles themselves, while sturdy, are hardly lightweight. It is lighter to fit a titanium cup on the base of your lightweight plastic canteen (not Nalgene!). The cheap light weight canteen is a recycled quart Gaqtorade bottle, the expensive variation is a one liter Platypus. You can boil water and cook, and also keep some of your water cool, all for less weight....

#207114 - 09/01/10 07:28 PM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions? [Re: ShelterMe]
ShelterMe Offline
Stranger

OOoooooK.

Long story short. Cara Guyot told me that the plain old Nalgene caps don't fit their bottles. Whether they changed the design once, twice, who knows. Either way, she agreed with me that the person wanting to know if the filter they'd like to buy will fit their Guyot bottle-- will most likely just try the Nalgene cap on the bottle on the store shelf next to the Guyot. They will more than likely be misled because the Nalgene lid is now a different thread pattern, and may possibly not purchase the Guyot bottle thinking their new filter won't fit based on this comparison. Unfortunately, this sucks for Guyot. They're great products, and I think they need to add a disclaimer telling people that Nalgene screwed around with their cap and it is nolonger a size that will fit the Guyots. This will solve some confusion. A case of one company not telling another company what they are planning.

Cheers.

-M

#207397 - 09/06/10 08:23 PM Re: Wide-mouth Stainless Steel bottles. Suggestions? [Re: ShelterMe]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
I'm a Guyot convert. Used Nalgene for years, dumped the fleet of them after I bought a couple of test bottles from Guyot directly. That said, I very much favor the 40 oz, "standard" bottle. I have a backpacker as well. But unless they're going to be in a car drink holder all day, I can't see giving up that extra stability (and they are slightly less stable), nor the reduction in capacity. My standard guyots fit my OR covers, the SS cups, and everything else I had to go with my nalgene fleet. After my test run, I turned back around and ordered a dozen for my fleet.

True enough, the SS cups can be used in fires. But I sometimes like a warm drink with my hot meal. A SS cup AND the guyot are the perfect combo for me.

And I've carried 2 full hiking for hours. Are they noticeably heavier...absolutely. I just prefer them and love the adaptability.

The cons:

1) they are heavier. I'll manage. The tradeoff is that things stay a lot cooler even after baking in ahot car for 6 hours. I add a lot of ice and drink and I often have ice when the car has been in the sun superheating for 6+ hours. But if weight is your main concern, it may not be for you. I carry these all day almost 6 full days a week. If I'm going to be away for a while I carry two.

2) They're metal and will ding up a bit. I've never had them compromised after about 3 or so years of HEAVY use and ABUSE. I say this as someone who broke 1-2 Nalgene bottles a year.

3) I'd love to see them do something with the tops. An inert, safe material with some sculpturing would help a LOT. Since they can get a bit of a vacuum seal when opened hours later, and opening them wet is common (weather, from a cooler, etc), it would be a nice addition.

4) Made in China. For me, this is the biggest single drawback. I'd love to see them made in the US...or even India.. but CHINA? When I bought in, hardly anyone was making SS bottles and those which were available had a much less desirable design. YMMV...

Now my question from the readings above...do the filtertops actually fit the Guyots? I've yet to try this and would love to know.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 418 Guests and 109 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.