Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#207256 - 09/03/10 08:17 PM Mora of Sweden Knife #?
gpsjack Offline
Stranger

Loc: USA
Been lurking and decided to jump in with a question. Just purchased my first mora, actually pair online from SG but not sure of the model Mora Knife #. Any ideas?

Also would be interested in leather sheaths or pattern for this knife that incorporates some kind of firesteel holder.

Thanks for any help.

#207257 - 09/03/10 08:29 PM Re: Mora of Sweden Knife #? [Re: gpsjack]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Looks like a 860 clipper.

Duno if a custom leather sheath would be cost effective, it's going to be many more times more expensive than the knife.

#207259 - 09/03/10 08:36 PM Re: Mora of Sweden Knife #? [Re: gpsjack]
gpsjack Offline
Stranger

Loc: USA
Yep, the more I surf the more it looks like making one is the way to go and more fun. Just need some inspiration!

#207261 - 09/03/10 09:53 PM Re: Mora of Sweden Knife #? [Re: gpsjack]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
You have Mora 840-MG Clippers. They are identical to the 860-MG Clipper, except that the blade is carbon steel instead of stainless. I have four of them from SG, distributed between different packs and bags as backup survival knives. I wouldn't spend much on a leather sheath, as the great things about these knives include the super light weight, razor sharp carbon steel blade, and low cost ($12.50). The money is in the carbon steel blade as it should be, and IMO, you will get used to the form-fitting olive green hard plastic sheath it came with.

#207263 - 09/03/10 10:18 PM Re: Mora of Sweden Knife #? [Re: gpsjack]
trailtoa Offline
Stranger

If your main reason for another sheath is to hold a firesteel here are some inexpensive options. You can tape the fire steel to the plastic sheath. YOu can ranger band the fire steal to teh plastic sheath. You can tape a straw to the sheath, so you have a removable fire steel. The McDonalds straws are bigger in diameter.

#207266 - 09/03/10 10:54 PM Re: Mora of Sweden Knife #? [Re: gpsjack]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I was going to order a few of these from SG to have as spares. But SG won't sell them to us Coloradans. When I asked them why, they responded that their lawyers determined that we can't have knives this long. That's news to me, and to all the other knife companies I've bought from. So even though SG's customer service is generally excellent, they DO have a few morons lingering about in their offices. Ragweed Forge is a good place to buy Mora's for us SG-snubbed Coloradans.

#207272 - 09/03/10 11:21 PM Re: Mora of Sweden Knife #? [Re: gpsjack]
KenK Online   happy
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Congratulations on getting a very nice knife. Great buy.

You can look through http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html to find your knife. Your knife is about 2/3 down the page - #860-MG, The green version is not pictured on that page, but if you click on the link you'll see it. The blue version is only $12 plus $6 per order for shipping. An awesome source of knives - I bought a bunch from them - first rate service.

I'd suggest you not bother fastening the fire steel to the sheath, but rather put the steel in some kind of compact kit small enough that you'll carry it everywhere when out and about. That plastic sheath it comes with is really fairly practical.

I personally would also carry more than just a knife and fire steel. You'll find suggestions on equipped.org. I'd advise starting with Doug's Pocket Survival Pac and add a few additional items per Doug's recommendations. Collecting the bits piecewise is more fun, but at least for me it was almost impossible to find good stuff at local stores, and the postage really adds up.

Ken

P.S. I hope we hear from you more in the future. Welcome to the forum.

#207278 - 09/04/10 12:59 AM Re: Mora of Sweden Knife #? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
You have Mora 840-MG Clippers. They are identical to the 860-MG Clipper, except that the blade is carbon steel instead of stainless.

Look closely at the picture you posted and enlarge it. The manufacturer of the knife in the picture 'Frosts of Sweden' no longer exists. SG has been using that picture for some time, and it is now inaccurate.

Look at your new knife, it should say 'Mora of Sweden'. This is a company formed from a merger of Erikssons and Frosts both formerly based in Mora, Sweden. If it says carbon steel under the name, it is an 840-MG Clipper. If not, it is an 860-MG Clipper.

Not that it matters much because either way, its a great knife for the money. I drilled a 1/8th inch hole in the 'pommel' section of one of mine and put in a camo 550 paracord lanyard.

#207279 - 09/04/10 01:27 AM Re: Mora of Sweden Knife #? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
You have Mora 840-MG Clippers. They are identical to the 860-MG Clipper, except that the blade is carbon steel instead of stainless.

Look closely at the picture you posted and enlarge it. The manufacturer of the knife in the picture 'Frosts of Sweden' no longer exists. SG has been using that picture for some time, and it is now inaccurate.

Look at your new knife, it should say 'Mora of Sweden'. This is a company formed from a merger of Erikssons and Frosts both formerly based in Mora, Sweden. If it says carbon steel under the name, it is an 840-MG Clipper. If not, it is an 860-MG Clipper.

Not that it matters much because either way, its a great knife for the money. I drilled a 1/8th inch hole in the 'pommel' section of one of mine and put in a camo 550 paracord lanyard.

There seems to be still quite a few old stock around, or they just use old tooling. The mora scouts I bough still say frost on some, and all the sheath say frost too.

#207313 - 09/05/10 12:39 AM Re: Mora of Sweden Knife #? [Re: gpsjack]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Can anyone tell me how well these knives hold an edge? Is this a suitable hunting knife or better as a survival knife?

Blake
www.outdoorquest.biz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 196 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.