Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#207067 - 09/01/10 03:11 AM Adventure Series Wire Saw, anyone know anything?
ShelterMe Offline
Stranger

Does anyone have experience with this product? They market a compact, a camp and a military version. I was going to purchase a couple BCB NATO wire saws after I heard good things about the quality of the crimps used and the swivels eliminating some strain-- but then I find out you can't get it from BCD, bestglide or adventuresurvivalequipment (the most common sources for the genuine item). They say the saw has been discontinued (even though the BCD site lists that one and a NEW version, clicking add to cart sends you to bestglide who markets the Adventure Series saw). "the sites" say the saw is great. The dinky little crimps holding the saw part onto the rings look chinsy to me, and the BCB saw had the wire looped around and crimped on itself-- looks much stronger.

So... anyone used the Adventure Series saw, and---
anyone know where I can still get an official NATO BCB saw?

Cheers,

-Mike

Edited by ShelterMe (09/01/10 03:13 AM)

#207072 - 09/01/10 07:01 AM Re: Adventure Series Wire Saw, anyone know anything? [Re: ShelterMe]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I mailed them and they answered: We no longer carry the BCB wire saw.

They did, however, praise this as a worthy successor.
Adventurer spiral wire survival saws

I jumped the wagon and bought two of the "pocket saw" (smallest) and one of the "military" kind (biggest).

First impression:
- Careful not to bend the saw, I did cut some small 2-by-4's and yes, they do cut. Not having done more than 3 cuts or so I can't tell you much more than that.

- The ring handles of the "pocket saw" are way to big without any benefits that I can see.

- "The dinky little crimps holding the saw part onto the rings" look OK to me, not chinsy at all. It remains to be seen how long they're up to the job, though. I think bending and breaking the wire is much more likely to happen than those "dinky crimps" breaking loose.

- The handles on the military version are MUCH to big. Yes, they're solid, but it should be easy to make something more compact - with less "bulky spiky metal" all over.

Plans for the future:
- I replaced the bulky rings on the pocket saw with a small loop of 2mm nylon line, long enough to loop over 2 of my fingers. The typical survivalist will use paracord, but 2mm line seems good enough.

- One pocket saw now sits in my smallest PSK. (It's Doug Ritter's PSK, but I've replaced some items with the MK5 knife, a keychain light, the smallest BIC lighter I could find and this particular saw). The purpose of this is to test if it will hold up to the long term "squeezed in a pocket" abuse that my PSK goes through. It has not yet earned the "your life could depend on it" - status, although I would not put it there if I didn't believe it would be useful.

- The other pocket saw is for camp chores, at least when I'm in the mood for using this instead of full size tools. I intend to use this saw until it doesn't work anymore - and then I'll write a review. The most frequent mode of operation will be to cut a branch about 3 foot long and make a bow saw. This will keep the wire "blade" nice and straight, with less risk of breaking. It will be intersting

- I'm looking for a replacement of the military version handles. Those are WAY to big and heavy. I'm thinking the smallest clamp available for this wire diameter and then I'll add a small loop of nylon line. Then this saw will search for its appropriate place in my hiking and camping gear... I will definitely test this saw too.

Sorry I haven't been able to test these more, but they didn't arrive in time for my summer vacation, which would be the perfect opportunity to test them.

And I would like to add that I intend to use these with a little care. They're emergency tools, not full size logging equipment. I think they break pretty easy if you saw with a too steep angle or use too much power on a "closing" cut (jamming the saw).

Edited by MostlyHarmless (09/01/10 07:10 AM)

#207076 - 09/01/10 11:25 AM Re: Adventure Series Wire Saw, anyone know anything? [Re: ShelterMe]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Hi there, sorry for not welcoming you sooner. Now I don't have one of these saws myself but they look like there the same ones made by bestway products now Mr Ritter reviewed the militery issue wire saw that bestway makes and the BCB one here.

The other thing you should know is that colgan sells one of the saws (the camping one I think)in their own packaging and if you want to get one there a little cheaper on the bestway site but I've never used them so I don't know what their shipping or customer servise is like,

#207084 - 09/01/10 01:15 PM Re: Adventure Series Wire Saw, anyone know anything? [Re: Cauldronborn]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Yup, those photos sure look identical to the saws I bought -- but "look the same" is no guarantee.

I did, however, skim through Doug Ritter's review and loo and behold, there was a link to BCB international. I followed that link and FINALLY found the BCB saw: http://www.bcbin.com/index.php?productID=1086.
Gee, I must have overlooked that reference when I needed it - I read that review and went out looking for sources for the BCB saw... Look right under your nose, what can I say ... wink

I am going to test my Adventure series saws until they break. I won't buy the BCB version unless the Adventure family proves inferior to the task.

I don't know their policy about shipping outside U.K, but since they offer prices in USD, Euro and UK pound I would be somewhat puzzled if they didn't ship internationally. There's contact options on their web site, ask them...

#207102 - 09/01/10 05:00 PM Re: Adventure Series Wire Saw, anyone know anything? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
If I were you I'd stick to the BCB wire saw their very good if you keep in mind their limitations.

Edited by Cauldronborn (09/01/10 07:22 PM)

#207143 - 09/02/10 02:00 AM Re: Adventure Series Wire Saw, anyone know anything? [Re: ShelterMe]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
"- The ring handles of the "pocket saw" are way to big without any benefits that I can see."

That is so that you can something else -- like a piece of a stick -- through the rings to make a better handle.

#207150 - 09/02/10 05:56 AM Re: Adventure Series Wire Saw, anyone know anything? [Re: Yuccahead]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Yuccahead
"- The ring handles of the "pocket saw" are way to big without any benefits that I can see."

That is so that you can something else -- like a piece of a stick -- through the rings to make a better handle.

ah... right. Yes, agreed, if you have only the rings those rings will have to be of that size to be of any use.

A loop of cord does exactly the same thing, but packs much smaller and is easier and more versatile to work with. If you use your hands / fingers (no handle) then a loop is also much more comfortable.

No big deal - replacing those rings with some cord takes about 2 minutes.

Note that the BCB version I linked to above use beefy and comfortable straps, not rings...

Edited by MostlyHarmless (09/02/10 05:57 AM)

#207163 - 09/02/10 03:17 PM Re: Adventure Series Wire Saw, anyone know anything? [Re: ShelterMe]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
BCB equipment, including the wire saw can be purchased from Workwear Canada , check out the 2 video links about the saw. I have ordered from this company a few times with great success, Paul the owner and person in the video's is a terrific guy to deal with.

Standard disclosure: I have no personal links to this company, just a satisfied customer.

Mike

#207165 - 09/02/10 03:28 PM Re: Adventure Series Wire Saw, anyone know anything? [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Izzy, I also am assembling a new small kit (BCB mini mess tin size) but chose to include a SAK Rucksack with the folding saw instead of the BCB wire saw. I have found the SAK saws to be very tough and useful for cutting saplings and even trees up to 3" dia. Not as good as a full size saw, but OK if you take your time.

I have had very mixed results with the wire saws, some worked for a short while, others gummed-up or broke right away. I am really undecided on them?

Mike

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 415 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.