The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#207036 - 08/31/10 05:31 PM Re: Hurricane Earl [Re: Jesselp]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Not sure what we will do, we were planning on heading to Chincoteague, VA Saturday morning for a long Labor Day weekend. We will keep an eye on the situation and adjust our plans accordingly. Our place there has plenty of supplies, so I am comfortable heading down and seeing if we sustained any damage. If the storm were to move more westerly around the Maryland area, our team would likely be placed on alert, so my weekend plans may get changed anyway.

Pete

#207041 - 08/31/10 05:47 PM Re: Hurricane Earl [Re: ]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
And sadly...we now have a third storm out there....

With the mighty frightening name of FIONA!

Anyone who's a fan of the TV series 'Burn Notice' would likely be somewhat intinidated by hurricane with that name. An angry Irish lass is not to be trifled with. grin

#207047 - 08/31/10 06:12 PM Re: Hurricane Earl [Re: Jesselp]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have a bad feeling about Hurricane Earl. The projected track is remarkably similar to the 38 Long island express up until Earl makes a nice right hand turn of the Carolina Coast to shoot of into the north Atlantic according to the projected computer models.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtlUjK5-Fx4

Track of the 38 long Island Express.

Time to get the beers in for the worse case scenario planning.

#207049 - 08/31/10 06:56 PM Re: Hurricane Earl [Re: Jesselp]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I just realized I will be in Tampa from September 9-13. Greeeat. Oh well at least I've been through dozens of Cat 3 & 4's and at least one Super Typhoon (Cat 5+) while living in the south Pacific.

#207050 - 08/31/10 07:01 PM Re: Hurricane Earl [Re: Jesselp]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
comms... bring a raincoat!

#207054 - 08/31/10 10:00 PM Re: Hurricane Earl [Re: Jesselp]
nouseforaname Offline
Journeyman

seems like an appropriate time to repost this:
http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/

I have a gut-feeling this thing is gonna ride right up the Chesapeake before cutting NE. The water temps are 5-6 degrees warmer in the Bay right now...ruhroh indeed. Least we don't have levee's...minimal flooding and downed trees. worst-case scenario would be no power for a bunch of folks, but ain't no one gonna starve in 3 days.

Interestingly, I JUST YESTERDAY scanned all my important documents onto a USB - not even thinking about the storm, haha.

Mr. Airballrad . . . I am also of the Harford County. You're voting for Gahler, right? laugh

#207062 - 09/01/10 02:23 AM Re: Hurricane Earl [Re: Jesselp]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I'll probably pick up a few more cases of water tomorrow - I used 2 up this summer doing various outdoor activities. And I just bought 2 scepter gas cans, so I might as well fill them up. Of course, my spout is on the way from Canada (of all places). I suppose a funnel would be a good idea to grab too.

Top off the cars tomorrow or Thursday. Maybe inventory my batteries and re-charge the rechargables, grab a few fresh packs of AA and AAA if needed.

That's probably about it. The storm track isn't all that close, even the outer edge, though I'm only 60 miles from Outer banks. We'll probably get some rain and wind, though Weather.com has a suprisingly mundane forecast.

#207064 - 09/01/10 02:36 AM Re: Hurricane Earl [Re: MDinana]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I realize a hurricane is no laughing matter, but it's hard to take a storm seriously when you name it "Earl." whistle

#207073 - 09/01/10 08:41 AM Re: Hurricane Earl [Re: Andy]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Andy
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
And sadly...we now have a third storm out there....

With the mighty frightening name of FIONA!

Anyone who's a fan of the TV series 'Burn Notice' would likely be somewhat intinidated by hurricane with that name. An angry Irish lass is not to be trifled with. grin

I dunno... I associate that name with the "ogre" in Shrek. grin

#207077 - 09/01/10 11:51 AM Re: Hurricane Earl [Re: Jesselp]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
The only place it is going to really hit is out on the Cape in MA. As I dont live there, and live pretty far inland, I am expecting rain, maybe power loss for a short term. Either way, I am ok-got plenty of water, and am going hiking this weekend anyway, so, if I lose power, I just start a day early smile.
Our local Emergency Management Agency has planned, in their words, to "orchestrate the chaos of the planned evacuation" of the cape. There is only one road off of it, and thats the evacuation road. Needless to say, they are advising residents to leave BEFORE the storm hits. They are more concerned with the day trippers.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 387 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.