Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#206962 - 08/30/10 01:47 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: rotorheadcfi]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

1. Get a PLB. The McMurdo Fast Find 210 or Kannad XS4 w/ GPS (same unit) are $250 or less.

2. Get a PLB.

3. The fancy compass is of limited value, albeit doesn't weigh much. In almost all situation you should stay put and let Search and Rescue come to you. Did I mention getting a PLB?

4. Add a whistle - in heavily forested ares it can be especially important for the last few hundred yards location.

5. Add a signal mirror. Not all the environment you fly over is heavily forested and it weighs little

6. You might consider the Adventure Medical Kits Pocket Survival Pak as it supplies the above plus some other added useful items including back-up firestarter.

7. Get a PLB. Did I mention that?
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#206967 - 08/30/10 02:21 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Now that the PLB has been mentioned, get yourself a good way to carry the kit so if you go down, you aren't separated from the kit. Personally, I'm looking at: Switlik HV-35MOD Air Crew Vest

Pick and choose the pockets you need/want to carry your kit, but this way the kit is on you always. Not in a bag that ends up who knows where after impact. If you are alive and conscious, the kit is right here (touch torso).

* Your PLB goes in a pocket accessible by either hand.
* One or two knives of your choice. I go with a strong locking folder (RSK Mk 1) and a Swiss Army Knife with a saw. . . I may have a third knife in my pocket. . .
* A lighter or two on opposite sides of the vest.
* Signal mirror and whistle.
* An energy bar or two.
* A DR Pocket Survival Pak

Suitable clothing for the climate is assumed. In the PNW, I'd have a small nylon tarp, wool blanket and paracord to build a makeshift shelter or just wrap up. This would be in a separate bag, (back of seat maybe?)

Edit: Looking at that picture, I wonder if a KleenKanteen would fit where that air bottle is located on the vest. . . hmmm

Edited by Russ (08/30/10 02:29 PM)

#206971 - 08/30/10 02:54 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I'm thinking fill it with water. Use it during the day, keep it fresh. . .

#206976 - 08/30/10 04:17 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: rotorheadcfi]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: rotorheadcfi
I also think I should have some snacks thrown in as well.

For a snack, I'd suggest a PLB stew with a side of PLB chips and a delicious PLB souffle. Wash it all down with a big jug of PLB-ade.

Seriously, though, welcome. Please update us on your choices and adventures.

#206983 - 08/30/10 06:45 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Off the top:
I'm surprised it took Doug to mention the AMK kit, IMO
Start with Doug's AMK as a minimum.
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com ( pocket survival pak )

Then add a small AMK Medical kit as a minimum.
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com ( Ultralight / Watertight .5 - 2010 Edition )
Extra daily meds if you need them.
A few HD pain killers, Codeine with Tylenol or Aspirin

A 1 or 2 liter Platy water bag.
Don't forget the water tabs.

Space blanket (HD or lite wt.) or AMK bivi, or both.
Extra para cord.

Carry these items in a Ribz "vest" this will enable you to use your favorite flotation device. IMO, a copy of a SEEK II Mil Vest but still a great product.
http://www.ribzwear.com

A naglene bottle with a cook cup or HD foil pan for cooking and forget the hard bottle.

A few powerbars, stay alert gum, coffee/tea/sugar sticks
a roll of lifesavers candy and you should be good for a
day or three.

If you are in Bear country I might pack a .357
and I take for a given that you already have a pocket knife and sm. light to include in your vest.

After reading below I agree on the REI matches and trash bags are always handy, better pack at least one.
BUT:
In the PNW with rain you might have a need for real shelter
and you will not be able to have it with just trash bags without cutting them for a tarp.
A Space blanket can serve as a tarp, reflector, blanket etc.
a plastic bag can as well but not serve "as well" !

Edited by frediver (08/30/10 07:23 PM)

#206984 - 08/30/10 06:49 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: NightHiker]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Lot's of great comments!!

I'd suggest using the REI "storm proof" matches instead of the strike anywhere type.

I also agree with an earlier comment that recommends dumping the space blanket. I'd recommend either a blue poly tarp or 4mil plastic bags.

Blake
www.outdoorquest.biz

#206985 - 08/30/10 07:18 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest
I'd suggest using the REI "storm proof" matches instead of the strike anywhere type.

I also agree with an earlier comment that recommends dumping the space blanket. I'd recommend either a blue poly tarp or 4mil plastic bags.

The REI matches are great. Make sure, if you don't bring them in their box, to bring the included striker.

I like the Heatsheets blankets myself.

Edited by chaosmagnet (08/30/10 07:18 PM)

#206996 - 08/30/10 11:10 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Stainless water bottle and fishing kit both seem to say that you are expecting to be physically capable of fishing and maintaining a fire to keep you fed and watered. Handy if it works that way. But what if a hard landing compresses your spine and your ability to function is limited. You may be limited to a very small area and may be quite unable to boil water or gather/prepare food.

It isn't unknown for helicopter pilots to land hard and be unable to get out of their seat. What you have to work with may be what you can reach while strapped in. At the least you need some water and some food that you can come up with without having to move anything but an arm.

I would include/substitute a filter straw. The straw is good enough to keep you going for days without requiring you to even have a container because you can sip water from a puddle if need be. This made more practical because the odds are, as I understand the PNW, you can find some water even if you have to drag yourself to it. Filter straws are light and compact enough to fit one or two in a shirt or vest pocket.

Power bars, Cliff bars, Datrex rations that ride in your flight jacket, suit, survival vest, may be all the food you have and all the food you get.

Stuck in a seat an inexpensive space blanket may be more practical than heat sheets or other blankets or coats you are not wearing. Stuck in place you could tuck the sheet around you to reserve warmth and block wind. The space blankets can be useless compared to better products but the simple Mylar version can ride in a pocket and be there for you if you can't move.

I don't object to people carrying fishing kits and what I consider long-term, verging on homesteading, gear. Everyone has to make their own plan; and live with the result. But people who are fit enough to fish and gather wood to regularly boil up water seem just about fit enough to walk out under their own power. The point being that if you can walk out, or at least make progress toward a settled area, why would you spend time homesteading?

#206999 - 08/30/10 11:26 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: rotorheadcfi]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Doug already mentioned the PLB. He's not joking.

In order of what you mentioned...

In your match case you've got thread- you're probably a lot more likely to need a needle or two than you will a single fish hook.

How are those water purification tablet packed. I see too many kits from people who should know better where they just roll a few PA iodine tabs in Saranwrap and call it good. *shudders* I'm hoping couple of chlorine dioxide tabs in their origional packaging?

The mylar space blankets are OK. A Heatsheet is stronger, quieter, and makes a better signal panel, but is a little bigger. The Thermolite bivy is better still, but you need to be really, really skinny and very friendly to get two people into one.

Signals. PLBs are good, but everything can break. Whistle, with a spare for the student. Signal mirror. I like the little strobes that Egear makes, they aren't much bigger than a watch. They have short range ,maybe a mile from the side, but they can be used as a constant on light to.

And a dedicated flashlight.

And that's the on person stuff.

I have, over the past few years, become very much a fan of wool blankets. For one thing, they don't burn very well. Is there space for one, maybe rolled up with a tarp, a few contractor bags (expedient ponchos, among a great many other things), two watchcaps, and more P-cord, in your aircraft?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#207000 - 08/30/10 11:42 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Yep -- fortunately the few helo rides I've had (again, all over-water) were uneventful. However, landing in the coastal mountain range away from airports and runways brings with it the possibility of a rotor-tip hitting something solid. The dynamics of what would follow make me think of spinal injuries and other damage. This could be one of those situations where if you don't have it on you, be it in your flight suit pockets or vest, you don't have it.

Serious injury also reiterates the need for a PLB. Don't make SAR waste time doing the "S" -- a PLB takes them straight to the "R" -- that and a signal mirror and a whistle. Your PLB needs to be where either hand can access it without the assistance of the other hand -- you may only have one.

I really like the lower leg pockets on my flight suit for some gear, very convenient while seated. However, with a serious spinal injury those pockets may as well be on the moon.

Food isn't a survival issue until way later. Fishing? fuhgetaboutit.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.