Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#206936 - 08/30/10 03:44 AM Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing?
rotorheadcfi Offline
Stranger

Loc: United States
Background info: I am a helicopter flight instructor in the pacific northwest. I spend a fair amount of my day over the coastal mountain range instructing pilots in the finer art of flying and landing aircraft away from airports and runways.

Needless to say, there is a bit of risk associated with my current job, and a survival kit is virtually indispensable.

Here is the trick though: Flying small, piston engined helicopters, I am severely weight limited, and storage space is also extremely limited. I need to keep any kit as light weight and compact as possible.

Here's what I have so far (starting from top left):
First row:
2 - 1 gal. storage bags;1- waterproof match case with strike anywhere matches, a fishing hook and sewing thread; 1-Gerber Gator folding knife; 550 paracord;

Second row:
1- First Aid Kit containing various bandages, pads, surgical tape, antiseptics, alcohol pads, guaze, razor blade, shears, moleskin, and other various FAK contents. Also a Bic lighter thrown in as well; 2 film canisters, the first containing steel wool and fire cube, the second containing water purification tabs; emergency blanket; compass (wrapped in duck tape). Everything is contained in double wrapped vacuum sealed plastic bags.

Additional gear that always goes with me: Nomex flight suit, Helmet, folding CRKT knife, couple of plastic bottles of water, VFR sectional chart (fancy aviation term for a map wink ), gloves, and a cell phone.

What I feel I am missing: I think I need to have a means of boiling water, so I am going to get a stainless water bottle. I also think I should have some snacks thrown in as well.

Anything else I am missing? Any changes anyone would suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by rotorheadcfi (08/30/10 03:45 AM)

#206937 - 08/30/10 04:27 AM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: rotorheadcfi]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
You might want to consider some signaling tools like a signal mirror and whistle. A two-way radio may not be a bad thing to have, nor is a small flashlight.

Having a redundant fire starter like a ferro rod is good back up for if the matches and lighter fails. Some signal flares can serve double duty as a signal device as well as an "I am going into hypothermia and need a fire immediately" device.

I always carry some fatwood and some bicycle inner tube with me since my environment is often wet. I imagine yours is too. It really helps get a fire going when everything is wet.

Maybe one of those bivy bags that redflare sells. I have one in my pack when I am out and about as well as when I travel. I also carry a poncho and some cordage in the carry bag. Both take up very little room but give me emergency shelter. Each one can fit in a cargo pocket.

If you have room, a machete or axe and a folding saw is really handy. I would carry the folding saw, like the Bahco Laplander in a pocket or on-person pouch. I would also wrap the machete (I like machetes) with a wool blanket and tarp with the tarp inside the blanket. An if you want to go in comfort and style, a hammock, like the Travel Hammock takes up very little space, is super light, and can keep you off the wet ground.

Once you get your metal water bottle, you can clean more water with your ability to make fire and you can make expedient as well as a more appropriate shelter with your tools, then you can signal. And with your snacks, you should be able to comfortably await rescue. I am not too worried about having too much food in your scenario.

Oh, and keep as much of your survival gear as possible on your person. Most of the stuff I mentioned except for the machete/axe blanket wrap can be on you comfortably.

Anyway, just my two cents.

#206940 - 08/30/10 05:23 AM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: aloha]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hello, rotorhead_, and welcome.

You have just about the most interesting job description I have ever seen.

From my POV the thing you haven't mentioned is SIGNALLING! If you go down (heaven forbid), your absence will be noted PDQ. Someone will come looking; so help them out. Flares, signal mirror, big orange panels, and ways to make fire even with a bum arm or leg. Also, be prepared to send text messages in areas with fringe cell reception; apparently, they punch through even though two-way voice can't.

Also consider that you may be incapacitated and your trainee may be trying to use your gear to get you both out.

Luck!
Doug

#206946 - 08/30/10 10:00 AM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Agree about signaling. My first choice for additional gear would be a signal mirror - small, light, and highly efficient (if the sun is out). I would upgrade your match case or wrap the head with tape. The case you have is fine, but I have had the top unscrew on me, not good

I would opt for a small, light metal cup or pot rather than a water bottle.

As much of this gear as possible should be on your person, daintily tucked away.

In your situation, wool clothing is going to be a lot more suitable than synthetics (fire hazard), Dress on the warm side as much as possible.

#206947 - 08/30/10 10:55 AM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: hikermor]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
green laser pointer, aerial pen flares, cyalume light sticks on some 550 cord to swing over head to indicate LZ...

#206948 - 08/30/10 11:04 AM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: LesSnyder]
BorkBorkBork Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sweden
...a refrigerator, a spare tire and some oil drums..

#206950 - 08/30/10 11:47 AM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: rotorheadcfi]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned carrying a PLB whistle
All the other suggestions are good but the object is to get rescued as quickly as possible, right?

#206952 - 08/30/10 12:10 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: Matt26]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Rotorhead This is the ultimate choice
please look and drool to your hearts content

Mike

http://www.dougritter.com/DR-aviator_survival_pak_index.htm

#206956 - 08/30/10 01:13 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: rotorheadcfi]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#206959 - 08/30/10 01:37 PM Re: Small Aviators Survival Kit - What am I missing? [Re: kd7fqd]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I am very not overly enthusiastic about "space" (survival) blankets. Most of the time, you want your blanket to resemble a bag anyway (i.e. you wrap it around yourself as good as you can, but with limited success). And if you do need a rectangular sheet, 10 seconds of careful cutting will provide exactly that. Consider the AMK bivy bag, or a big, heavy-duty garbage bag and a lightweight poncho.

Duct tape. I love gorilla tape, mainly because I don't have to try the 100 different kinds of duct tape to find the ones that actually works. Wrap some feet around your water bottle, around your FAK and basically any object you bring with you.

A small LED light.

A wool buff.

A snickers bar.

I think the process of assembling a kit is most easily done when trying to answer these questions:

1) Can you get enough to drink, even if forced to stay out for a night or two?
2) Can you protect yourself from the environment, i.e. being too hot, too hot, wet or eaten by bugs, even if forced to stay outside for a night or two?
3) Can you find your way home?
4) Failing that, will someone be able to find YOU?

For aviation, you have the complication that severe injuries are probably likely...

In your situation, I would consider a two-layered system:
- On your person: The PSK equivalent, plus some shelter. The classical bare-bones minimum. Plus a snickers bar. And the personal locator beacon (PLB).

- A bag somewhere in the aircraft. Assuming you don't have space for full size sleeping bags and the like, this would be the aircraft equivalent of what day hikers should carry in their backpacks.

Also, look through these threads for inspiration:
Emergency hiking list
PSK sharing center

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.