Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#207004 - 08/31/10 01:57 AM Re: Best second member of the arsenal? [Re: dweste]
LED Offline
Veteran

Instead of a pellet rifle, I'd say go with a .22lr or a .38/.357 carbine like the Marlin 1894c. That way you could share ammo with a revolver. With low powered .38special loads the 1894c would almost be as quiet as a pellet gun with a whole lot more punch.

#207013 - 08/31/10 03:09 AM Re: Best second member of the arsenal? [Re: dweste]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
If you are referring to The Gamo-1000 air Rifle with supressor,think a little 1st.Why would you need a supressor on an air Rifle?I would think the need for every bit of propulsion you could get,would be the standard for ANY airgun.Anytime a supressor/silencer is used on any firarm,The Muzzle velocity is readily/extremely affected.Gamo advertises 1200 fps for those air Rifles in .177 caliber,I seriously doubt their claim at least outside of a Lab.If you want silent,Get a Crossbow,they will teach the untrained eye to a simple but very effective form of ballistics,You can later use that judgement for just about anything,You are likely to hunt!Your 1st choice for the Rem.870 is a Very Good choice!Don't waste your $$$ on a Brazillian BB gun for choice #2!

#207015 - 08/31/10 03:30 AM Re: Best second member of the arsenal? [Re: Richlacal]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Many thoughtful replies, thanks.

The idea of the suppressed pellet rifle is to have an ultra-quiet hunting tool to give minimum notice of hunting going on to critters and people. Staying subsonic, or under about 1,050 FPS, is aided by design using lead pellets and a suppressor. Several articles indicated Olympic pellet rifles shoot about 500-600 FPS maximum for greatest accuracy.

Like a 22, the ammo is quite cheap which allows for lots of skill-building practice. Unlike a 22, the pellet will not travel a mile if it is shot without a backstop, giving more safe shot-taking flexibility.

Each pellet is also quite small so you can carry a lot, there is some variety in sizes and shapes, and if you wanted you could pour your own lead pellets. And, of course, you pump these guns rather than percussing gun powder, so your "propellant" supply is essentially infinite and free.

CA hunting regs authorize pellet rifles shooting greater than .20 calibre for turkey, and most everything short of "big game," [such as beer, deer, elk, and pigs]. Unlike crossbows, pellet guns are not considered firearms and are neither rimfire or centerfire, so restrictions on the possession or use of such items do not apply; this gives pellet rifles a potentially very wide area of use.

Edited by dweste (08/31/10 03:33 AM)

#207019 - 08/31/10 04:51 AM Re: Best second member of the arsenal? [Re: dweste]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Actually the Best 2nd member of the arsenal would be,Alot of Trap/Skeet time with your 870!Also practice with a few light-load slugs, though not normally accurate past 50yds.,because of the smooth-bore,They are quite capable rounds,that can be utilized in an 870,should you need it.The pellet rifle is not going to prepare you,for the use of a Rem.-870,even with 9&1/2 shot, the 870 is going to pop your chops,the 1st 5 rds. or so.Good Luck with your Endeavours!

#207022 - 08/31/10 09:39 AM Re: Best second member of the arsenal? [Re: dweste]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: dweste
Pistols problematic in CA. Banned from many public game refuges and parks. Debate rages whether OK to carry while hunting: clearly banned if hunting in an archery season, debatably OK with burden on you to convince suspicious officers in other seasons if you are not actively assisting in the hunting or "take" [so what is the point of carrying it].

IIRC the point is self-defense, its legal to carry concealed handgun for Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from such hunting or fishing expeditions.

#207023 - 08/31/10 10:14 AM Re: Best second member of the arsenal? [Re: dweste]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Echoing several other members, I have used the Remington 870 for my entire adult life for upland, duck, and deer. I'm on my second one, the first having been snapped in half (along with my wrist) in a car crash long ago.

In spite of all of the guns in my gunsafe, I have taken the most game with my Winchester 1000X pellet rifle. IMO, why not have a powerful pellet rifle in the arsenal? It's rated range is 300 yards, but with with my middle-aged eyesight and Copperhead .177 cal pointed hunting pellets, I limit my shots and easily take rabbits at 50-75 yards. I took the scope off of it because I don't like scopes, but as the decades stack up, I might have to reconsider. That would give the rifle even more effective range than I am using now. The rifle makes a loud 'popping' sound when fired and if I were to ever purchase another one, I would get the silencer model.

As others have mentioned, good air rifles are surprisingly powerful, very low maintenance, ammo is cheap and almost unregulated, and my brand comes 250 rounds to a metal can the size of a snuff can. Under $150.00

Incidentally, avoid the air rifles that have a big recoil pad. The recoil of an air rifle is forward!

Attachments
winchester-1000x.jpg

#207043 - 08/31/10 05:55 PM Re: Best second member of the arsenal? [Re: dweste]
pezhead Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
If you decide on the air rifle and do scope it get one designed for air rifles. As stated above the recoil is forward.

#207057 - 08/31/10 11:42 PM Re: Best second member of the arsenal? [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I wouldn't be too quick to buy/make/use a silencer, or anything that might be construed to be a silencer. I would be careful to check with law enforcement, legal or not if the sheriff wants to hassle you you're facing trouble, and research the all applicable laws to seal the deal. Defending yourself in court gets to be time consuming and expensive even if you are found to be entirely in the right and are acquitted.

You may find out that having a silencer for your pellet rifle is as involved and expensive as owning a silencer for any regular firearm.

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/05/what-about-silencer-for-your-airgun.html

http://www.beemans.net/silencers_on_airguns.htm

#207058 - 08/31/10 11:44 PM Re: Best second member of the arsenal? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I doubt the law is that if you are hunting or fishing, or going to or from such activity, you can carry a concealed handgun. This would be a loophole bigger than a Mack truck and instantly convert everybody to hunting and fishing. However, I am not going to do the homework on this one because I am tired and also confident the motley crew, I mean brain trust, at ETS will chime in with the straight skinny.

#207059 - 09/01/10 12:18 AM Re: Best second member of the arsenal? [Re: dweste]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: dweste
I doubt the law is that if you are hunting or fishing, or going to or from such activity, you can carry a concealed handgun. This would be a loophole bigger than a Mack truck and instantly convert everybody to hunting and fishing. However, I am not going to do the homework on this one because I am tired and also confident the motley crew, I mean brain trust, at ETS will chime in with the straight skinny.

Yes, that really is the law smile If you're already carrying a loaded rifle/shotgun how is it a loophole? If you're really interested in the skinny visit the law section of calguns.net, they even have recommendations for lawyers who specialize in gun law

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.