Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#206808 - 08/26/10 04:53 AM Re: I've been thinking again... [Re: Art_in_FL]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Somewhere in the back of my head, I recall that stacks of hay bales, if still wet when bailed, can spontaneously combust. So while the visual is mighty entertaining, I'm not sure I would want to be adding moisture to the center of a large hay bale.

From Wikipedia: "Hay baled before it is fully dry can produce enough heat to catch on fire. Farmers have to be careful about moisture levels to avoid spontaneous combustion, which is a leading cause of haystack fires."

#206812 - 08/26/10 10:09 AM Re: I've been thinking again... [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Susan
Some of the bales here are wrapped almost completely in white plastic, but the most useful-looking ones just seem to have a plastic skin around the circumference, but the flat sides are not covered.

Sue

That way they can leave them sit there and not have to transport them to a barn. Its fun to watch those wrappers, funny thing on the back of the tractor picks them up and spins them around while wrapping them up. So you see this big haybale being spun around like the basketball on the showoff players finger.

#206889 - 08/28/10 11:15 PM Re: I've been thinking again... [Re: Yuccahead]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
'From Wikipedia: "Hay baled before it is fully dry can produce enough heat to catch on fire. Farmers have to be careful about moisture levels to avoid spontaneous combustion, which is a leading cause of haystack fires.'

Hay or compost piles have to be at least 7 feet square to catch fire. Most of those hay fires start in stacked hay in barns.

Sue

#206899 - 08/29/10 02:31 AM Re: I've been thinking again... [Re: Susan]
Newsman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NW Arkansas
Around here, every couple of years, a barn goes up in flames because of spontaneous combustion. It's quite a task to extinguish a smoldering bale. It's hard to get water inside, which is where the fire is. The choice is to either let them burn or unroll them and hose them down.

Regarding using it to dispose of human waste, I'm positive that a round bale can handle far more than a good dose of human waste -- feces or urine. A round bale holds enough carbon to contain the smell and reduce a dead adult dairy cow to nothing more than the large bones in 30 to 40 days. <http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publications/PDF/FSA-1044.pdf>

Regarding the comment about someone digging into a round bale using a knife, I'm skeptical. The hay is tightly packed and all the stalks or stems are oriented in the same general direction. Cutting, or digging, your way into the heart of a round bale -- IMHO -- would be impossible.

My 21-year-old son laughed when I asked if he'd try to dig in to create a survival shelter. His advice: "Pull off a few layers to use as a blanket, then get on the downwind side." That would be far easier. And MUCH faster.

He also noted that if round bales (or any bales, or haystacks, for that matter) are around, a house or barn is not too far away.

Maybe the person lost in a blizzard dug into a haystack -- far less densely packed than a round bale.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 394 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.