Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#101929 - 08/07/07 10:01 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
drahthaar Offline

Sorry I didn't see this post until now.

It looks like it is a takedown version of the old model 60 (with a clip instead of the tubular magazine). The action looks the same.

I've had two of those. They are functional little shooters.

They can be finicky with ammo and higher velocity rounds worked best for me because they would eject better. The jams are easy to clear, just have to cycle the action. If you do start getting jams you will want to keep a leatherman handy - the cartridges often jam with the spent round wedge above a live round and it is hard to dislodge the round without some kind of tool. (I used the awl on my cub scout knife - which shows you how long ago it was.)

In all, it was a decent, cheap little .22. Can't wait to hear how the takedown version works.

#101941 - 08/07/07 11:36 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: drahthaar]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the Marlin .22 Rimfire info drahthaar.

Concerning having a Leatherman handy, I have worn the same Leatherman PST on my belt for about 12 years; but with the new rifle I also ordered a Charge XTI (they were on sale, 25% off because they are discontinued) plus a few more toys I do not want my wife to find out about!

I hope to do my first review on the Marlin Papoose in a month or so.

Mike

#103741 - 08/27/07 11:18 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi all,

The nice Canada Post employee arrived at my front door this morning with a long parcel from S.I.R., my new Marlin Papoose .22 semi-auto.

First impressions; the rifle looks well made and assembled easily and quickly. I like the sight picture (even with old eyes) and the carrying case is good with some extra room for survival stuff.

I figured that the butt-stock was hollow and after removing 2 short stainless steel Phillips head screws found that the centre of the buttplate is removable. The cavity is about the volume of an Ritter/AMK Survival Pak but from the factory there is some folded poly foam packaging in it. I do not know if this is to add floatation or to just help reduce the hollow sound?

I am thinking about filling the buttstock with the basics of a survival kit (fire-making items, water purification, signaling whistle/mirror, cordage, small knife) and altering the buttplate to allow easier access.

This has to be a balanced addition, so as to not increase the weight of the contents of the carrying case (rifle and extras) beyond the floatation built into the case (I need to test this).

I look forward to this latest little project and if any ETS members can provide input that would be appreciated.

Mike

P.S. I hope to test fire this new Marlin rifle and a Savage 24C Campers Companion this weekend, I will post the outcome.

#103756 - 08/28/07 01:50 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
MedicineMan Offline

Loc: upper east TN
Please let me know:
simva4040@yahoo.com
if you ever take pics of the butstock mod on your papoose for survival gear!
I also have this rifle...it is in my BOB along with 200 rounds of hollow point. It is such a nicer rifle than my AR-7...the ability to float is over emphasized in these types of weapons and I'm glad to have realiability versus flotability. Currently I'm trying to locate a small scope for the papoose...seems like Wallyworld used to sell them for around $10 but in my area I cannot find one frown

#104378 - 09/03/07 01:27 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi All,

I took a quick trip to the gun range today as it was to windy to do the hiking/fishing trip I had planned with my family. My 10 year old daughter went with me (her first time) and was very excited about the experience.

My visit to the range took a little longer than expected as I helped a nice young couple sight in a scoped Lee-Enfield .303 British; the husband missed 2 bears at rock throwing distance last evening! He had the rifle scoped by a gunsmith last year and bore-sighted it but had never fired it until yesterday, DUH!

The new Marlin Papoose was very easy to assemble (put the barrel on, tighten with the wrench supplied), but the action release catch is new to me on a semi-auto rifle and will take some getting use to.

I was shooting at 40 metres with the factory iron sights, in a wild crosswind and my eyes are not what they use to be. Even with those excuses I was disappointed with the first few 5 shot groups from the rifle; about 4 inches. I also had one mis-fire (fired on second try) and one stove-pipe jam.

I tried a couple brands of ammunition but they were all about the same. Then after a short while the groups started to tighten up and by the end of the session I could cover a 5 shot group with a quarter! I think the rifle just needed to be "shot-in" a little bit because it is shooting "minute of grouse head" groups now and functioning without a hitch (as fast as you can pull the trigger).

The rifle seems to prefer sub-sonic rounds (both Remington and CCI hollow-points) which is good because this is what I hunt small game with. High velocity and Hyper velocity rounds all worked well (cycled harder) but were not quite as accurate.

CCI CB Longs shot OK (very quiet) but had to be cycled-up from the magazine by working the bolt like a straight pull bolt action.

.22 shorts did not feed or function at all and the firearm is rated for Long Rifle ammunition only.

With my vision I would really need to scope the rifle to test it's accuracy at longer range, but this reduces the compactness of the rifle so I think I will leave it as is; just add a black nylon sling.

I have been pondering filling the hollow buttstock with basic survival tools and construction a trap-door or easy removable buttplate but I think that is a winter project.

In summary, after a limited first try I am very happy with this Marlin take-down .22 rifle and can see the beginning of a long partnership.

Mike

#104382 - 09/03/07 01:43 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Sounds like a winner. Now I want one even more...

#105321 - 09/11/07 07:26 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: OldBaldGuy]
JamesJ Offline
Stranger

Loc: Saskatoon, SK
I was looking to purchase the AR-7 earlier this year, but once I got to the shop and held both it and the Papoose my mind was made up immediately. I went with the papoose.

There was a small piece of plastic (nylon, whatever) for the alignment of the barrel for the AR and on the display model I could see that it was already heavily damaged. I figured if it couldn't handle in store use, I didn't want it in the field. When I held it, it also felt really nose heavy and frankly the stock felt cheap and bulky. It was a black model and the finish was gouged already as well.
The stock is not watertight, meaning while it will float (there are airpockets molded into the stock), your ammo will still likely get wet.

The Papoose aligns with steel on steel. No stock storage, but the case holds alot. I picked up a second 7 shot clip immediately for it. My understanding is that in the case the Papoose will float (assuming you aren't storing tons in it). The sling mounts are nice. I picked up a set of quick releases, and threw together a nylon web sling for nothing.

I have tried out a few brands of shells in it. Federal eagles were garbage and caused many jams. The blue box federals were only slightly better. I have had great success with Remington Cyclones and I assume the solid point Thunderbolts would be the same. Not a jam in a brick of 500, 3 misfires I was able to pop off with a second try. Tried some old standard ammo, shot nice, but not enough punch to fully load the next shell. I assume the Remington Goldens would work quite well too. Did try a real old box of CIL (probably 30-40 years old) High Power shells and they also worked great. I have noticed a slight increase in the tendency to jam if you put pressure on the clip with the front hand while supporting it. If you are getting a scratch on the lead of the next shot then that is what is happening.

Put a Tasco rimfire 3-7x scope on it just over a week ago. It still fits in the case, just, lol. I haven't had alot of chance to do much beside a basic sighting, but my brother used it last friday while I was sighting in my 308. With a life size rabbit target at 100 yards, using the sling, sitting on a bench,he could put a whole clip of 7 shots into it's head. He also hasn't done any shooting in 16 years. I'm assuming it would group very nicely if I had a rig to test it on.

My final verdict, and this is really just my opinion, is that the AR seems to be more for the guys that like to look like they can survive (an accessorie), but the Papoose is a real survival tool.

#105338 - 09/11/07 09:21 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: JamesJ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi James,

Thanks for the report on the Marlin Papoose, it seems you and I both came to the same conclusion on which take-down .22 to purchase.

I plan on trying my Papoose this weekend for the opening of grouse season.

Good Luck,

Mike

#105413 - 09/12/07 02:40 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
JamesJ Offline
Stranger

Loc: Saskatoon, SK
Well good luck. Let me know how it works for you.

#105529 - 09/13/07 02:49 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: JamesJ]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I am thinking of purchasing a "papoose", however I am left handed. Some rifles spread a great deal of fire and debris out of the breech. A problem for us lefties.

I would use shooting goggles anyway, but I hate having my face get burned with every shot.

Anyone have experience using the Papoose left handed?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.