Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#206515 - 08/20/10 12:49 PM scam falls
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
http://www.wftv.com/news/24691516/detail.html

I thought it was interesting how these "falls" are becoming a trend.

The repercussions aren't good. Over time the establishment will switch from punishing these scams to just "ingoring" them (selective enforcement). And of course if they are scamming stores they will switch to scamming people.

One person interviewed said that she "didn't know why" the perpetrators would do this. But it reminds me of the new types of crimes that were happening in Japan, where (one example) a lonely old lady stabbed a man so she could have company that night, even if it was in jail. At least, thats what she told the news. The elderly have different things that are important to them.

As far as being equipped goes, I see a couple connections. First, I'm thinking this will all be part of the "brave new world" where we are all on condition Yellow all the time. Second I think it will begin to normalize crime in many people's eyes.

#206520 - 08/20/10 02:01 PM Re: scam falls [Re: clarktx]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: clarktx
Over time the establishment will switch from punishing these scams to just "ingoring" them (selective enforcement). And of course if they are scamming stores they will switch to scamming people.

With the economic situation the past few years, I'm surprised that we haven't heard more about staged accidents by people desperate for money.

I'm not sure I'd agree that individuals are necessarily going to be more targeted for scams like these. Businesses generally have the deeper pockets, bigger insurance policies, therefore a bigger potential pay out. Any small business owner that deals with the public on their premises is acutely aware of the chance of being bankrupted by something like a slip 'n fall or other "accident". My parents were lucky that they never had to deal with it over 40 years of running a restaurant.

Just my opinion, but one area where individuals might be targeted more often as people get desperate is staged driving accidents, like being set up to rear end a scamster. I always try to keep a decent following distance from the car in front of me since once you plow into someone, regardless of what the other car does, you're very vulnerable legally. I don't know about elsewhere, but here in Southern California, people drive very close to the car in front of them even at high speed. It's particularly noticeable on the freeway. I'm surprised that more people don't get rear ended or in horrible chain reaction accidents on the freeways every day. It's a dumb reaction by most people who simply don't want someone cutting in front of them and somehow "getting ahead" of them.

People don't realize how dangerous that habit is. Cars these days are more powerful and can easily go faster. Plus we're all busy, impatient folk. So people drive faster but leave less space in front of them. Madness.

#206522 - 08/20/10 02:38 PM Re: scam falls [Re: clarktx]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I've been seriously considering no longer teaching wild edible classes due to the liability risks involved by such a scammer. It would be really easy for someone to fake an injury and sue me for everything. frown

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#206523 - 08/20/10 02:38 PM Re: scam falls [Re: clarktx]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Two hard up OAPs facing 35 years in prison... shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aucj0zfoEvM

And the real crooks actually earn a descent living within the industry.

#206529 - 08/20/10 04:37 PM Re: scam falls [Re: Arney]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Nothing new in NYC. Every year or so, the transit authority here rigs a bus with hidden cameras, stages an accident and films the aftermath. Interesting how a bus with a capacity of 86 can result in about 150 injury claims.

Blast, a waiver will help a lot, but nothing is lawyer proof.

#206530 - 08/20/10 04:37 PM Re: scam falls [Re: Blast]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Originally Posted By: Blast
I've been seriously considering no longer teaching wild edible classes due to the liability risks involved by such a scammer. It would be really easy for someone to fake an injury and sue me for everything. frown

-Blast

Unfortunate, but a legitimate concern. Have you considered an umbrella liability policy?

When had house built, got $1M coverage (despite general and subs having appropriate coverages). An abundance of caution maybe, but you never know. Cost was reasonable. IIR, slightly more than $300 for 12 months (2002).

#206541 - 08/20/10 10:41 PM Re: scam falls [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
The moral of this story? Insurance companies have finally begun to fight back against these scam artists.

Well, I think they have always fought back--if it saves them money or they want to make an example of someone and it won't be a PR disaster to actually take the claimants to court.

I'm glad that you and your dad dodged that bullet, btw.

#206563 - 08/21/10 08:35 PM Re: scam falls [Re: Arney]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
If the US had the same system as other countries - loser pays - then there wouldn't be so many BS lawsuits.

I fell down due to my own negligence, but what the hey, lemme sue and see if they will settle. If not, my attorney says he doesn't get paid if I don't win, so why not? I can only lose and it costs me nothing if I do.

versus

I fell down due to my own negligence. If I sue and lose, I pay for all expenses incurred, to include lawyer fees, filing fees, admin fees, etc, etc, etc. Hmm... maybe I should reconsider this.

Don't ge me started on tort reform and fixed damages, lol.

#206574 - 08/22/10 01:29 AM Re: scam falls [Re: ]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
I used to live in your neck of the woods, Izzy... I still have friends there and one of them linked me that news. As near as i can tell Florida is in a kinda bad and unique situation due to it being such a large retirement community.

Some of the stories I've heard involve elderly people who have to choose between medication and groceries. (Please, nobody hijack this thread and blame it on a past or present administration!)

My own situation came when an employee of my father's company got a job at another place down the road. His GF still worked for us. He was in his 30s and broke his ankle skateboarding on Sunday afternoon. He avoided everyone on his way into work on Monday and faked a fall, claiming he broke it "on the job".

Someone wiser than me once said... that to be a truly honest man you have to understand the depths of human dishonesty.

#206575 - 08/22/10 01:47 AM Re: scam falls [Re: ]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Slips and falls and staged auto accidents are pretty common ways for people to fill their pockets. Scams become more common as the opportunities for honest work and general fair dealing fall by the wayside under economic pressures. The 30s were famous for grifters, con-men and scams. When honest means fail people will resort to whatever they need to do to get by.

The coming cuts in the social safety net is going to increasingly leave jail as one of the few alternatives to living on the streets and eating cat food. And they throw in basic healthcare and dental.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.