Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#206722 - 08/25/10 02:33 AM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: dougwalkabout]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
If it were put in an oversized 2-man-operated frame, with a turnbuckle tensioner, it might work.

That is what I envisioning when you said bow saw, but in one-person sized model with part of the chain, with a tensioner like a hacksaw (which I guess is kind of turnbuckle-ish).

Hmm... once the hubub with halloween shows die down, I think I need to talk to my mechanical geeks about a prototype. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#206736 - 08/25/10 03:52 AM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: ironraven]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Hmm... once the hubub with halloween shows die down, I think I need to talk to my mechanical geeks about a prototype."

And you'll post the results here, right?

Sue

#206740 - 08/25/10 05:04 AM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: Susan]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i tell the gang at Classic Camp Stoves that being a collector around here is hard because not very many people used Primus stoves for camping or like Europe at home for heat and cooking.Minnesota is "ax and saw country" and i have plenty of both.who said the wood pile heats twice?..once when you chop and again when you burn.
as a thought experiment i did mull over that problem.with the last of the chainsaw gas i would cut down the 60 foot pine in the yard and cut as many rounds as i could and then start splitting.
i assume every stick of wood would be cut down at the river early on along with wood fences and such by those who wanted to winter over and not pull up stakes and treck South.i have at least ten good axe's and hatchets i could trade for whatever..ok Sue now you have me drifting over the line in survivalism!!!!

#206741 - 08/25/10 05:48 AM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: CANOEDOGS]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Following Susan's no-power scenario, someone is going to steal the wood you so tediously have cut down, split and stacked.

Seasoning wood for the next season requires several cubic meters of volume. Along with unseasoned wood comes insects. A wood stack is the most perfect breeding ground for mice and rats you can think of. How many of you are willing or able to drag that stuff indoors?

A lot of people will think of stealing a few logs for heat as "bartering" - after all, wood grows on trees, so who will notice if they take a few logs? It doesn't take many freezing people with that attitude to make a big stack disappear.

#206746 - 08/25/10 10:23 AM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: ironraven
And we can turn any chain blade into a one direction "pocket chainsaw".

I've never tried that. In theory it could work, but in practice I suspect it would take a LOT of effort and be quite inefficient.

A bow saw would be my choice every time. A couple of these saws and a good stock of replacement blades will get you through a big pile of wood.

I once helped a relative salvage some mesquite fence posts for firewood. He was using a chain saw which required frequent sharpening ( about every other fence post). A nice Swedish bow saw actually cut faster than the chain saw. I'll go for a bow saw every time, as well.

#206755 - 08/25/10 01:04 PM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Susan Offline
Geezer

"Seasoning wood for the next season requires several cubic meters of volume. Along with unseasoned wood comes insects. A wood stack is the most perfect breeding ground for mice and rats you can think of. How many of you are willing or able to drag that stuff indoors?"

You aren't seeing the Big Picture! The mice and rats eat the insects, and then I trap the rats and mice to feed my cats, thus saving on cat food! grin

OR, I train the largest rats to defend the woodpile. You've heard of 'ankle biters', right?

It isn't usually suggested to stack wood against the house, but maybe it would provide extra insulation.

Sue

#206764 - 08/25/10 03:16 PM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: Susan]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i would bring the wood into the cold rooms of the house to keep it close and dry...but the chance of this for real is so tiny as not to really plan for..but--that generator to run the gas furnace and a couple lights is something i do take for real.every time i go to the Big Box hardware store for a can of paint or 2x4 i look them over again..and what Sue said about bugs,plus if things are that bad a bug is the last thing you will be worried about.and--will you have a plan on which of the furniture will be chopped up and in what order??..this could get complicated!!!!

#206768 - 08/25/10 03:36 PM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: ironraven
And we can turn any chain blade into a one direction "pocket chainsaw".

I've never tried that. In theory it could work, but in practice I suspect it would take a LOT of effort and be quite inefficient.

A bow saw would be my choice every time. A couple of these saws and a good stock of replacement blades will get you through a big pile of wood.

I once helped a relative salvage some mesquite fence posts for firewood. He was using a chain saw which required frequent sharpening ( about every other fence post). A nice Swedish bow saw actually cut faster than the chain saw. I'll go for a bow saw every time, as well.

I heated an old farm house in Kansas one winter with old lumber
from the dump cut with a bow saw.

We did spend a lot of time downstairs by the stove. Couldn't
heat the whole drafty house.

#206778 - 08/25/10 06:30 PM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: Susan]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Putting aside wood-gathering for a moment, and addressing the broader "fuel-gathering" challenge ... seems viable to consider cow-, horse- and poultry-manure as potential solution (assuming one lives in an area where sources are reasonably plentiful). Granted, there are some drying/seasoning issues.

But, low-tech, no specialized tools required. Used everyday in some parts of the world.

#206785 - 08/25/10 08:24 PM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: xbanker]
Susan Offline
Geezer

The pioneers used dried cow pies all the way across the country for fires. The kids used them as the first frisbee.

But I'll bet stacked cow pies have more bugs than wood...

And keeping them dry here in the PNW could be a trick.

Keep the chickens in the house for safety, keep the wood in the house for safety... NOW I have to keep the COW in the house? Darn, it's getting crowded in here. ROOSTER! -- YOU! -- OUT!

Sue

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.