The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#206528 - 08/20/10 04:30 PM Re: Good Fixed Blade Knife [Re: KenK]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Look at the Bark River line. I carry the Fox River for general camping and survival. Not the cheapest though. $100 range.

#206533 - 08/20/10 05:02 PM Re: Good Fixed Blade Knife [Re: KenK]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: KenK
Traditionally it has only come in a kind of goofy green color (#2000)

I've never understood why you'd want a survival knife in camo/green color. Flourescent orange color sounds like a better way to keep from losing the thing.

#206534 - 08/20/10 05:40 PM Re: Good Fixed Blade Knife [Re: haertig]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: haertig
I've never understood why you'd want a survival knife in camo/green color. Flourescent orange color sounds like a better way to keep from losing the thing.

Agreed! That's why I'm still hoping Doug comes out with the orange handle slabs that were once talked about. Slick!

One of Mora's new Bushcraft knives comes with the black handle as the #2010, but the sheath at least is bright yellow. I myself would like orange better.

#206543 - 08/21/10 01:37 AM Re: Good Fixed Blade Knife [Re: KenK]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Heres an older post about my Becker BK-2........

"I field tested a Becker BK-2 last winter back in the woods. It is a foot long knife with a very heavy 1/4" thick blade. Don't get me wrong, it's a great knife, and it worked well for lopping off small frozen branches and light chopping. You would be able to chop through ice and pry up rocks from the frozen ground with it. I thought the blade thickness made batoning through 4 inch branches to split them for kindling more difficult. I had to hit the knife so hard with a log to move it, that eventually my arms got tired and I bashed my thumb. I think a thinner blade would have cut through more easily"

It is a well made knife in a form-fitting Kydex type sheath (unlike the larger Beckers which have woven nylon). There is a lot of 'handle' on this foot long knife, and this makes the blade feel too short for it's weight and thickness. The handle scales do work loose, but I solved this by paracord-wrapping the sheath and sliding an allen wrench into the wrap. I could just apply epoxy, but I want the option of removing the scales to mount the blade on a pole to use as a spear.

Because of the fact that the handle is big and the blade is somewhat short, the balance is near the center. It is not particularly well suited for heavy chopping. The blade is 1/4 inch thick and it is difficult to wield for fine knife work. It's more of a breaching, light chopping, digging, and prying tool than an EDC knife for me, so I just keep it in my truck.

I would recommend either a longer blade and/or a thinner one than the Becker BK-2 has. If you are on a budget and want a big knife, look at the Buck 110 folders or the Buck Special fixed blade knife. If you buy it at Kmart, it is $10 more expensive than Walmart, but you will get a nice leather sheath instead of a nylon one.

#206637 - 08/23/10 02:42 PM Re: Good Fixed Blade Knife [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I have gone through many knives, most recently the Seal PUP, which is a great one. I always find myself going back to the USAF survival knife-its robust, simple, and, to be honest, I like the weathered look of the leather handle after a few years of use smile.
The one thing I have noticed with it, and this is from recent observation, is that if I use it to baton, the baton itself ends up getting pretty chewed up due to the agressive ridges on the spine. But, honestly, thats a relatively minor inconvenience for me. I dont use the leather sheath it originally came with; I actually use the kydex one that the seal pup was shipped in. I like it for its versatility, and simplicity. I dont see a need of field sharpening, and, if that was required, I usually carry a diamond honing stone in a pack.
The upside is that, you can find these knives literally anywhere, and they are usually pretty cheap.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.