The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#206490 - 08/19/10 06:46 PM Re: Good Fixed Blade Knife [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
+1 on the Helle and Mora recommendations. I am currently on the Mora route (model 511), and I am quite happy. That cheap knife is also my testing / playing field for developing, using and maintaining a convex edge. Just a newly developed hobby of mine, getting things sharp with a mouse mat...

I have only heard good things about Fällkniven. Actually, I have only heard FANTASTIC things about Fällkniven. Based on reviews, I think the F1 would be perfect for me, but it is too costly (right now, anyway) and I haven't had the chance to hold it, not to mention test it.

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Again these knifes are of a laminate construction.

I don't think that is true for all Fällkniven models, but your research may be more thorough than mine.

From the above you can see that I am a big fan of the around 4"-ish blade size for general bushcraft. This works for me, my conditions and what I need a knife to do.

#206493 - 08/19/10 07:01 PM Re: Good Fixed Blade Knife [Re: MostlyHarmless]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
good thread, thanks for the suggestions

=====

I'm sure Fallkniven makes great knives. However, when I see a hunting knife discounted to $1,350, it lets me know that the philosophy of the company is much different than mine will ever be.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=SWEDFNNL5CX

#206495 - 08/19/10 08:48 PM Re: Good Fixed Blade Knife [Re: ireckon]
TimDex Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New York State
If you want a very good knife cheap, try Wal-mart. I got a good buck knife there, think it was the vanguard model (?), for about $45. TW

(Edit -- It was the Buck Special Knife, six inch blade, now for $60. Heavy bladed knife, may or may not be to your taste.)

Edited by TimDex (08/19/10 08:51 PM)

#206497 - 08/19/10 09:30 PM Re: Good Fixed Blade Knife [Re: TimDex]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
if you don't need a sharpened pry bar you might look at a flat grind Grohman #4 it has a very utilitarian shape...its easy to cut the sheath at the snap though..regards

#206499 - 08/19/10 09:41 PM Re: Good Fixed Blade Knife [Re: LesSnyder]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
A Busse Badger Tac

#206501 - 08/19/10 11:19 PM Re: Good Fixed Blade Knife [Re: ireckon]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Just my opinion, but the ESEE knife you listed has a 1/4" thick blade, which is a monster - just too thick and too heavy to be a useful camp knife.

My own preference is a 4-5" thinner blade. I use an axe for chopping and a shovel for digging. The knife is used for cutting & slicing.

Some folks really get into carbon blades, but I find a good stainless steel blade to do just fine and much less prone to corrosion (rust).

I tell you, you really REALLY can't do much better than Doug Ritter's Mk3. I have one and really REALLY like it.

You can buy lower costs knives, but the Mk3 is very worthwhile.

I'm still hoping Doug comes out with the orange handle slabs for the Mk3.

#206502 - 08/19/10 11:48 PM Re: Good Fixed Blade Knife [Re: KenK]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
If you're crafty, want to go cheap, and want a thick blade, you might consider the EOD breacher bar. I admit this isn't a survival knife when you open up the package, but with a bit of effort it definitely can become one!

Forgot the link: http://www.countycomm.com/eodrtool.htm

Edited by roberttheiii (08/19/10 11:49 PM)
Edit Reason: Forgot the link

#206505 - 08/20/10 12:47 AM Re: Good Fixed Blade Knife [Re: KenK]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: KenK
My own preference is a 4-5" thinner blade. I use an axe for chopping and a shovel for digging. The knife is used for cutting & slicing.

Thank you for you input, but how does an axe and shovel workout for you if you go hiking and then camping? That seems like an inefficient use of weight. I suppose the axe works well if you drive your comfy vehicle right up to the campsite. I see the Becker BK2 (or ESEE 5) as a jack of all trades and a master of none. That's actually what I want here.

#206521 - 08/20/10 02:05 PM Re: Good Fixed Blade Knife [Re: ireckon]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Thank you for you input, but how does an axe and shovel workout for you if you go hiking and then camping? That seems like an inefficient use of weight.

I don't carry an axe or shovel when hiking or backpacking. Usually I won't even carry a saw, since its easy enough to break the kind of small dry branches I burn by hand.

Actually, when hiking/backpacking I don't carry my fixed blade Mk3 - its just too heavy, and my Mk1 does everything I need to do. The Mk1 AND Mk3 AND my Snow & Nealley Penobscot Bay axe AND my Trailblazer buck saw go with me whenever I am car camping. If its a longer term camp I'll likely take my big S&N "Our Best" axe too - I really like that axe.

So far the Mk3 is mostly used for cooking since it is a bit bigger than the Mk1 and cleans up so well. I don't carry it on my belt - it slides nicely into the padded area of my L.L. Bean daypack that was designed to carry a water bladder.

I can't think of a time I've needed a shovel while camping - other than a small one for moving coals when cooking with a dutch oven.

BTW, I EDC a mini-Mk1 at work. That's the nice I use 99.999999999% of the time. LOVE that knife!

I'm a huge fan of Doug's knives - no apologies for that. So far I have the mini-Mk1, the regular Mk1, the M2 steel Mk1, the M4 steel Mk1, the Mk3, and my wife has given me the Mk4 gentleman's knife and the orange-handled Mk1. I'm lucky enough to have a wife who puts up with me. I searched for a good knife and simply don't like much of what most manufacturers put out. There always seems to be some oddity about the designs - either the blade, the blade material, or the handle - that I just don't like. Doug's knives have hit my needs/wants dead on target.

The only other knives I use much are the ragweedforge.com Mora #746, #748, and #749 knives I keep in my RV. I actually carry a couple of #746's as "steak knives". The #479 is very useful for watermelon. They make fine kitchen knives.

Ken

#206526 - 08/20/10 03:55 PM Re: Good Fixed Blade Knife [Re: haertig]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

BTW, another lower cost knife to take a very serious look at is the Mora survival knife #2010 for only $35.

This knife is a real favorite - an underdog, so to speak - of the survival/camping crowd.

Traditionally it has only come in a kind of goofy green color (#2000), but recently Ragweedforge.com also has one in black (#2010). I like it!

If you want to read reviews, search using mora 2000 survival knife review.

There's a nice video of the green (argh!) version at http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/kit/reviews/mora-2000-outdoors-knife.html

Added Note: Huh, I just noticed that he's added a few new Bushcraft line of knives at the top of his Mora page. Nice, but I still like the #2010.

Edited by KenK (08/20/10 04:03 PM)
Edit Reason: Added note

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.